2011 College Baseball Thread

zenryan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
That has to be the upset of the year in the tourney. Illinois over Fullerton? Get out.

If Illinois beats Stanford tonight with the pitcher they have going it would have to be one of the biggest upsets in the NCAA tourney history. He has started only 4 games this year for Illinois and has an era of 7.82.

31 of the 35 players on Illinois' roster are from the state of Illinois. That's mostly a product of the lack of scholarships available to baseball programs. A partial scholarship goes a lot farther at an in-state public school. Still, that's surprising. Probably also why they're usually not good. Heck, they weren't even that good this year. 15-9 in the Big Ten? Hot at the right time...

That Fullerton game was awesome, great win! The closer had given up 5 runs in 24 innings all season, and they put up a 3 spot. I didn't stay up for the Stanford game, but I imagined it would end up the way it did.

It was awesome to see Illinois baseball somewhat relevant, I don't remember really hearing about them when I was in school. They only finished like 3 games over .500 this year, so it's not like they were a powerhouse either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 07:23 AM)
That Fullerton game was awesome, great win! The closer had given up 5 runs in 24 innings all season, and they put up a 3 spot. I didn't stay up for the Stanford game, but I imagined it would end up the way it did.

It was awesome to see Illinois baseball somewhat relevant, I don't remember really hearing about them when I was in school. They only finished like 3 games over .500 this year, so it's not like they were a powerhouse either.

They had a better team last year, hell they even swept the #1 at the time LSU in a series. This team got hot at the right time and it was a joy to follow them. They didn't have near the talent or depth of the other teams but they played their hearts out.

Tough loss for Fullerton. Tip my cap to the Illini. Nick had been money all season and just couldn't do it. I was still heartbroken from Saturday's 1-0 loss to Stanford.

When the matchups came up, I thought Fullerton was going to lose (of course, I thought they would lose to Stanford). Well done Fullerton.

Pretty crazy out on the West with both Fullerton and UCLA going down.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
i think im gonna try to make it down to omaha...anyone ever been there before? got any suggestions?

I just got in to Omaha an hour ago. I have never been here. I am here for work with Nike, but I am hopefully going to get to go to a bunch of games too. My hotel is right across the street from the stadium and my room is overlooking it.

61hk.jpg

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
Tennessee hired Jason's boy, Dave Serrano, today. I'm pumped about the hire. Great move.

Very surprised. Serrano is a west coast guy. Facility wise a great upgrade for him (probably pay too), but he won't be able to recruit as well at Tennessee. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Plus Fullerton is a top open job now.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
If anyone is coming out to Omaha make sure you stop in and see me at the Nike Fieldhouse about 2 blocks west of the stadium on Mike Fahey street. I will probably be there almost every day. :)

Creighton sucks, thus, Omaha sucks.

Dang it. I wonder if we can grab Vanderhook back. I doubt it, problem with Fullerton is they don't have the resources to pay top program money. Maybe we can lure back Horton from Oregon, ahaahaha. I wish.

At least when Horton left I was very confident in Serrano, now not so confident in the potential options.

My list of guys I'd like:

Horton - Rumor has it that Horton isn't happy in Oregon, but at 400K per year, I highly doubt he's coming to Fullerton to take a 200K or more pay cut, haha.

Rich Hill - USD's coach who has kicked some butt and done a great job recruiting and coaching some top pitchers

Batesole - Fresno State's coach; Not sure if Fullerton could pay more, but clearly, from a national spotlight and history standpoint, Fullerton is a better job. However, in college baseball, how much spotlight is there anyway?

Esquer - Cal's coach might be attainable and he seems decent.

Greg Bergeron - Young guy, former Fullerton, offensive coordinator for UCI and the Asst. Head Coach for Fullerton. Very raw but knows the Titan offense and history. Plus he might end up at Tenn too.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
Very surprised. Serrano is a west coast guy. Facility wise a great upgrade for him (probably pay too), but he won't be able to recruit as well at Tennessee. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Plus Fullerton is a top open job now.

Well, I think there were a couple reasons he came back to UT. He started his coaching career here and supposedly loved East Tennessee. He apparently never stopped following UT football and basketball...

And yes, the facilities and pay are both upgrades, so that doesn't hurt. He won't be able to recruit as well to UT at first, but there is a lot of potential. The Tennessee baseball program is in fertile recruiting grounds with one of the consistent top high school teams in the country located in Knoxville (Farragut), and there are a few good JUCO programs in the middle and eastern parts of the state.

Well, we managed to do something last night, that we haven't done since 1977.....win our first game in Omaha.

I said all year I thought this team had enough to get to the Super Regionals, but not much farther. I'm beginning to believe...they have a pretty good shot to do the unthinkable, and repeat as champions.

The max Fullerton can offer its coach was 140K. Tenn has so much more resources and factoring in bonuses, it sounds like Serrano will be right around the $500K per season mark. Pretty substantial raise and good for him!

Sad that my program, from a financial perspective, just can't compete with the big boys, even though it is one of the premiere baseball programs in the country.

Wow, evidently Pat Casey, Oregon State's head coach, is in the mix. I highly doubt we'd land him and my guess is this is a lot about nothing, but that was the buzz going around Omaha yesterday.

Mark Kotsay has also been getting recent buzz and was recommended by former coach George Horton and former stud Titan Tim Wallach. Kotsay has publicly stated he'd be interested.

So far Omaha has been great. The new stadium is pretty sweet. I have gone to two games so far: South Carolina vs. Texas A&M with the walk off hit in the 9th and Florida vs. Vanderbilt with the crazy storm that just came rushing in. Tonight I am going to the North Carolina vs. Vanderbilt elimination game. It should be good. The other day my dad said he could see me everytime they showed a righthanded pitcher from the side. I'll be the on the end of the row 5 rows up in a all Carolina blue UNC hat if anyone cares.

Hopefully UVA loses so that will complete yet another choke by the ACC. Although I dont think UNC is that good really but they made it somehow.

Maybe Jim Morris can start recruiting a little better and Miami can reclaim some of its past glory and bring the ACC some respect in Omaha. Cant expect anyone else to do so.

Another thing that bothers me is this stupid teams wearing those old school stirrups. They look like total fools out there.

I bet Capn is the only watching this CWS semifinal besides me right now. This is an awesome game, love it. I'm cheering for the Gamecocks (got my hat before the CWS started last year, rocking it tonight). In extras right now, game has been full of some gutsy pitching, very exciting stuff.