Adam Dunn had emergency appendectomy last night.

justBLAZE

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
Chris Rongey

Dunn says his new timetable is tomorrow. At least he's hoping he'll play then. Not likely to PH today but didn't rule it out. (He won't)

I heart Adam Dunn. The chances of my cheering him during intros is up from 0 to maybe 50% for Saturday.

http://www.csnchicago.com/04/08/11/Sox-Dra...&feedID=661

By Chuck Garfien

CSNChicago.com

Adam Dunn had experienced stomach pains before, but never quite like this. For several days, there were shooting pains coming from the upper reaches of his abdomen. He assumed it wasn’t anything serious.

That was until he flipped on the television while in his hotel room in Kansas City on Tuesday morning and saw a story about the Cardinals Matt Holliday who needed his appendix taken out after playing on Opening Day.

The reporter mentioned Holliday’s symptoms. Dunn made a mental checklist

“Got that...got that...got that,” he said to himself.

Uh-oh.

[READ: Dunn still healing, feeling feisty]

Wednesday at 2:30 a.m., White Sox GM Kenny Williams received a phone call. It was team trainer Herm Schneider calling from a Kansas City hospital, informing him that Williams’ $56 million dollar slugger was about to have an emergency appendectomy.

In an interview with Comcast SportsNet on Thursday, I asked Williams what his reaction was when he heard the stunning news.

“I can’t tell you exactly right now because this is family TV,” Williams said with a smile, able to make light of the situation now that Dunn is on the mend.

“It was one of those things where you go in to get something checked out, and before you know it, you’re having an operation,” Schneider said.

The procedure would last around 25 minutes, and Dunn needed to go completely under with anesthesia. He and Schneider would spend the whole night in the hospital.

“It’s like we had a baby together,” Schneider joked.

Shockingly Dunn wanted to pinch-hit the next day, although that might have been the painkillers talking.

“I think that was the problem,” Dunn said. “I was on too good of ones.”

So when will Dunn be back? He's not starting Friday night. The weekend seems like a possibility.

“It’s not the pain,” Dunn said before the White Sox home opener. “I feel like when I swing, my belly button is going to go shooting at the pitcher. That’s a bad visual. Seriously. That’s what it feels like. Until that goes away, where I can swing and not feel like that....I want to get it to the point where it’s not bothering me.”

[WATCH: Sights & Sounds from Opening Day at U.S. Cellular Field]

Williams is urging utter patience in regards to Jake Peavy’s return from a shoulder injury. What about Dunn?

“He’s 6-6 270 pounds, it’s not like I’m going to fight with him and argue if he really wants to get out there,” Williams said. “But we’ll be as cautious as we need to be, as we always are in making these kinds of decisions. If the doctors say he’s okay and he wants to play, I’m not going to stop him.”

Judging by the White Sox offense so far, they don’t exactly need to rush him back. Their 45 runs are tied with the Reds for the most in the majors. One of the reasons is the red-hot Carlos Quentin, who is tied with Mark Teixeira for most RBIs (10) in the majors, and is second in the AL in batting average(.458).

“What I’d like to see is Carlos stay as even keel as he possibly can and have less media focus on him because we’ve really tried to put together a roster to where it’s not dependent upon one particular guy overachieving,” Williams said. “We just need everyone to do their parts, and I will tell you that Greg Walker has these guys in such great positions to hit early in the season that I’m really optimistic about the entire offensive production this year.”

But ask any White Sox fan from Bridgeport to Blue Island, and their biggest worry is the bullpen, which has occasionally gotten torched.

Is it merely a blip or is Williams generally concerned?

“I refuse to be generally concerned about anything five games into the season,” Williams said. “It takes sometimes, whether it be hitters or certain pitchers, it takes some guys coming out of spring training, you can have the hottest guy on your team turn into the coldest, and the coldest turn into the hottest. Everything will level out. We have a level of talent on this team that I think will ultimately prove itself over the course of 162. Five games? I’m not going to start analyzing it too deeply.”

Unless there’s another appendix that needs to be taken out.

Chuck Garfien hosts White Sox Pregame and Postgame Live on Comcast SportsNet with former Sox sluggers Frank Thomas and Bill Melton. Follow Chuck @ChuckGarfien on Twitter for up-to-the-minute Sox news and views.

Simple piece of advice...if you have stomach pain and want to see if it might be appendicitis, do some jumping jacks and push on the left side of your abdomen right under your rib cage. If it hurts in the lower right quadrant, then go to the doctor!!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
The badness of our bullpen has been ridiculously overblown so far this year.

I agree...Santos has looked great, and Thornton got beat on a nice piece of hitting. Sale rebounded with a huge 2 innings vs KC, and Crain has been fine as well. Ohman and Pena are bad...but that was expected.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
I agree...Santos has looked great, and Thornton got beat on a nice piece of hitting. Sale rebounded with a huge 2 innings vs KC, and Crain has been fine as well. Ohman and Pena are bad...but that was expected.

Santos was fine last year until his arm fell off late. I expect him to have good results overall for a longer part of this season, but I wouldn't be susprised a September swoon happened.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)

It was basically Ohman on opening day and Sale falling behind Butler in the game we blew in KC, that's really the extent of it so far, and as you said, Pena sucks, no argument from me there. Thornton got beat on a bloop single by Kila in a game that besides that inning the pen went 6 with out giving up an earned run.

The back 4 in our pen are going to be about as good as anyones this year imo, Ohman should hopefully be able to get 1 lefty out a game if needed and well Pena is just garbage but overall our pen will be just fine.

I don't think Pena will last the year, unless he begins channeling Luis Vizcaino in one hell of a hurry. His fastball is flat, his slider doesn't move, and he just generally doesn't do anything well. And, as opposed to last year, the Sox have a guy who is cheaper and just as bad in Phil Humber who is actually conditioned to throw multiple innings, which means that Pena's role right now is basically as the 6th inning or 7th inning guy if someone needs a day off. He can't succeed at that role, but be it through the minor leagues, through trade, or through waivers/free agency, the Sox will be able to find someone better.

I still get scared when Ohman comes in, but I think he will be adequate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Dunn took batting practice before the game today. Said he was still a little (you know) sore, but he could (you know) swing a bat as hard as he wanted and was (you know) on the mend (you know).

The more you (you know) know