Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

The current CR keeps the sequestration levels. What if the Democrats countered with a proposal that delayed the individual mandate for a year, repealed the medical device tax, but raised the CR to the pre-sequestration levels?

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ACA was passed three years ago, then delayed until now. (as part of a compromise) The President was relected even after the election was made about "Obamacare". So tell me again why it is still being debated.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
The ACA was passed three years ago, then delayed until now. (as part of a compromise) The President was relected even after the election was made about "Obamacare". So tell me again why it is still being debated.

Was that a compromise? I recall 2013/2014 being implementation dates during passage and dems were worried they'd be punished before it was helping people.

Maybe it was to help out the stupid 10 year scoring window so we could have that nice round number. Balta, do you remember?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
The current CR keeps the sequestration levels. What if the Democrats countered with a proposal that delayed the individual mandate for a year, repealed the medical device tax, but raised the CR to the pre-sequestration levels?

That would be a hell of a deal for the Republicans. The sequester was supposed to be painfully stupid for everyone involved.

Why not just vote on a clean CR that would easily pass both houses and be signed into law?

That would be a hell of a deal for the Republicans. The sequester was supposed to be painfully stupid for everyone involved.

Why not just vote on a clean CR that would easily pass both houses and be signed into law?

No, of course that's what they should do. I'm just trying to see what other options might be out there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
The Federal retirement plan isn't exactly a 401k, though it's very similar. In any case, I already have an outstanding loan from when we bought our house, and the rules do not allow for a second loan, nor for refinancing the existing loan. It also doesn't allow for taking out a loan while in a nonpay status.

Sorry man, just trying to brain storm ideas for you. Best of luck, to you and everyone else being screwed by the Tea Party.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Was that a compromise? I recall 2013/2014 being implementation dates during passage and dems were worried they'd be punished before it was helping people.

Maybe it was to help out the stupid 10 year scoring window so we could have that nice round number. Balta, do you remember?

Right Dems wanted an earlier start date, the GOP was, and still is, for delays.

The World War II Memorial isn’t the only site honoring veterans of the war that is closed because of the shutdown.

The New York Post reports that the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial at Omaha Beach honoring the 9,387 who died in the D-Day invasion is one of 24 military cemeteries worldwide that has been closed since the government shutdown went into effect; the American Battle Monuments Commission maintains the cemeteries. The sites, which range from Mexico to Tunisia to the Philippines, are expected to stay closed throughout the shutdown.

Stateside, the National Park Service has closed down a park that it contributes no financial resources to. Claude Moore Colonial Farm in Virginia is located on federal land, but the NPS cut the farm from its budget in 1980. According to the Washington Free Beacon, the NPS sent law enforcement to the park on Tuesday to remove staff and volunteers from the property.

“In previous budget dramas, the Farm has always been exempted since the NPS provides no staff or resources to operate the Farm,” the farm’s managing director said in an e-mail. “In all the years I have worked with the National Park Service . . . I have never worked with a more arrogant, arbitrary and vindictive group representing the NPS.”

In related news:

With attention shifting to potential consequences of not increasing the debt limit, one House Republican said Thursday that Speaker John A. Boehner has told colleagues that he was determined to prevent a federal default and was willing to pass a measure through a combination of Republican and Democratic votes.

The lawmaker, who spoke on the condition of not being named, said Mr. Boehner indicated he would be willing to violate the so-called Hastert rule if necessary to pass a debt limit increase. The informal rule refers to a policy of not bringing to the floor any measure that does not have a majority of Republican votes.

Other Republicans also said Thursday that they got the sense that Mr. Boehner, who held two meetings Wednesday with groups of House moderates, would do whatever was necessary to ensure the country did not default on its debt.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
insane that that is even news.

"Major political leader affirms he will not destroy world's economy"

If It Happened There ... the Government Shutdown

WASHINGTON, United States—The typical signs of state failure aren’t evident on the streets of this sleepy capital city. Beret-wearing colonels have not yet taken to the airwaves to declare martial law. Money-changers are not yet buying stacks of useless greenbacks on the street.

But the pleasant autumn weather disguises a government teetering on the brink. Because, at midnight Monday night, the government of this intensely proud and nationalistic people will shut down, a drastic sign of political dysfunction in this moribund republic.

The capital’s rival clans find themselves at an impasse, unable to agree on a measure that will allow the American state to carry out its most basic functions. While the factions have come close to such a shutdown before, opponents of President Barack Obama’s embattled regime now appear prepared to allow the government to be shuttered over opposition to a controversial plan intended to bring the nation’s health care system in line with international standards.

Six years into his rule, Obama’s position can appear confusing, even contradictory. Though the executive retains control of the country’s powerful intelligence service, capable of the extrajudicial execution of the regime’s opponents half a world away, the president’s efforts to govern domestically have been stymied in the legislature by an extremist rump faction of the main opposition party.

The current rebellion has been led by Sen. Ted Cruz, a young fundamentalist lawmaker from the restive Texas region, known in the past as a hotbed of separatist activity. Activity in the legislature ground to a halt last week for a full day as Cruz insisted on performing a time-honored American demonstration of stamina and self-denial, which involved speaking for 21 hours, quoting liberally from science fiction films and children’s books. The gesture drew wide media attention, though its political purpose was unclear to outsiders.

With hours remaining until the government of the world’s richest nation runs out of money, attention now focuses on longtime opposition leader John Boehner, under pressure from both the regime and the radical elements of his own movement, who may be the only political figure with the standing needed to end the standoff.

While the country’s most recent elections were generally considered to be free and fair (despite threats against international observers), the current crisis has raised questions in the international community about the regime’s ability to govern this complex nation of 300 million people, not to mention its vast stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction.

Americans themselves are starting to ask difficult questions as well. As this correspondent’s cab driver put it, while driving down the poorly maintained roads that lead from the airport, “Do these guys have any idea what they’re doing to the country?”

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
OK, before this gets too far, I want to explain my situation in detail so people know exactly what they'd be supporting. My next paycheck would normally arrive 10/12. If the shutdown ends by Monday, I won't miss a paycheck. However, my backup plan for missing a paycheck is to make a withdrawal from my retirement account, and it takes 10 days to get that money, so I couldn't wait until Monday to make that decision and have gone ahead and requested 4 weeks salary. I figure that 4 weeks is a worst-case scenario in a shutdown, and with us spending money only on food, gas, and paying bills, we can make that 4 weeks salary stretch 6-7 weeks if we need to.

Now, what I have lost permanently is the 10% penalty I have to pay on that withdrawal, plus I lose the agency match to my retirement contributions for six months. That's going to add up to about $3000. Now, if Soxtalk feels compelled to share in the loss of that $3000, I'm not going to say no, but I don't want anybody believing that I need money in order to feed my family. At least not for another 4+ weeks.

While you try and figure out what you're going to do, Rep. Renee Ellmers (NC) "needs her paycheck" during the shutdown.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/03/124...DS-Her-Paycheck

Congresswoman Renee Ellmers, who publicly opposed shutting down the government over Obamacare in August, held back tears as she described the emotional toll on families denied care.

“If you’ve ever seen the look on a parents face when they’re told that their child has cancer and then you take their hope away, the moment that they know they can fight for it they will,” Ellmers said.

Republicans pilloried Majority Leader Harry Reid, a picture of whom was featured at Thursday’s press conference, for telling a CNN reporter the day before that he wouldn’t “pick and choose” which features of government to revive.

Ellmers urged Reid to “give hope back to these families.”

That is a compelling argument in favor of actual socialized health care. Thank you, Congresswoman Renee Ellmers, for your support of a single-payer system.

Damn the Republicans just don't know when to quit. This is a travesty. She doesn't care about those children, she is just politicizing them. I'm not saying Democrats don't for all those who think I pledge allegiance. I'm just calling it as I see it.

The Republicans have trolled themselves into arguing in favor of government-created jobs (National Parks help small communities flourish!), government programs and government healthcare. It's at least a moral victory.

What's sad is that the Senate has sent back only a six week extension of the CR. So we're just going to keep fighting these battles over and over and over now.

While you try and figure out what you're going to do, Rep. Renee Ellmers (NC) "needs her paycheck" during the shutdown.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/03/124...DS-Her-Paycheck

I was going to cut her a little bit of slack because there are a handful in Congress who really do live off their salaries, but as soon as I got to the part about her husband being a surgeon I started cursing at my computer screen.