April 11th Game Thread White Sox versus Athletics

QUOTE (OilCan @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
So let me see if I had this right.

Thornton, who's blown more save opportunities than coverting them in his career (17 saves, 23 BS in his career) is the WS closer...why?!?!?

Sheesh.

When you are a 8th inning reliever, that stat doesn't work the same way. Evey time he blows a game in the 8th, it counts as a blown save, but he only gets a hold if he keeps the lead and passes it on to the closer. Add in his holds and that gives you a more realistic percentage.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang this one on Ozzie for pulling Mark, Juan for failing to put glue in his glove AGAIN, and Matt for throwing a flat pitch on a 1 - 2 count to start off the 9th with a double.

We can still iron out these kinks and I really think that the 2011 white sox will be special - hopefully this is some of the worst ball we see all year and hopefully we win the next two against the A's.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:58 AM)
It was a dumb call. Feel free to shake off your catcher anytime Matt. Same with Crain after everybody wiffs at his curveball...Castro for some reason calls for a heater. Pathetic....

Crain missed his spot on the homerun.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
Hang this one on Ozzie for pulling Mark, Juan for failing to put glue in his glove AGAIN, and Matt for throwing a flat pitch on a 1 - 2 count to start off the 9th with a double.

We can still iron out these kinks and I really think that the 2011 white sox will be special - hopefully this is some of the worst ball we see all year and hopefully we win the next two against the A's.

The time to iron out kinks was spring training. These count just as much as the ones in Sept. We have a pretty tough first half and we are not a second half team. So we need to get out to a fast start and need to capitalize on teams with weak offenses or bad teams when we play them. This division has been a pretty tight affair for a few years. We need to beat the teams we should, play 500 against the good teams and kick the s*** out of our division. We can't afford extra outs and we can't keep giving it up.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:19 AM)
So let me see if I had this right.

Thornton, who's blown more save opportunities than coverting them in his career (17 saves, 23 BS in his career) is the WS closer...why?!?!?

Sheesh.

He ain't going to be much longer.

Yes Mark should have pitched the ninth.

We still should have won against the A's ... at the Cell.

WTF is Juan doing dropping fly balls that cost us 2 games??? Cmon Juan, concentrate.

As far as Rongey, what do you want him to do? Pile on? I didn't hear all the calls, or any of the calls, but did he say over and over it was the right move? I would think he would recognize callers' concerns a bit on this issue. 91 pitches isn't a lot. I mean I guarantee you Oz will let Mark go over 91 if he's in, say, the sixth inning.

I think he's a good postgame host, though, on the shows I've listened to.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 05:15 AM)
The time to iron out kinks was spring training. These count just as much as the ones in Sept. We have a pretty tough first half and we are not a second half team. So we need to get out to a fast start and need to capitalize on teams with weak offenses or bad teams when we play them. This division has been a pretty tight affair for a few years. We need to beat the teams we should, play 500 against the good teams and kick the s*** out of our division. We can't afford extra outs and we can't keep giving it up.

Absoluetly agree - I'm not making excuses for the team but rather just looking at the current state of things. All they need to do is put Sale or Santos in the closers role yesterday... I'm just fearful of how long Ozzie will continue giving matt chances like this... That is a scary thought.

They should have ironed out the kinks in the bullpen in the spring but they clearly made the wrong choice with Matt.

We're what, 6 and 4 after the first 10 games? All be it that we should have three more wins but I'm still hopeful that these mistakes and poor performances can be righted quickly - allowing us to really get on a roll and see what I believe will be a great white sox team.