White Sox vs. Oakland A's

justBLAZE

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
The ML team is sufficient for now. But we've got some bad contracts and no organizational depth. A playoff appearance would go a long way in alleviating those issues. But think about that...It's never a good thing when you're future is that predicated on making the playoffs.

you just defined "all-in"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
Can't. There's nobody. Still doesn't mean you don't shop him under the right circumstances. KW is going to have to get really creative or quit. He's put us in this mess.

Well you have no choice but to be "all in" (I hate using the marketing campaign here but it's true). This is what you get when you draft low upside talent in the first round and refuse to spend money in the draft, but that's a whole nother debate

But to just dismiss how good Rios is compared to the rest of the league because he is owed a lot of money is just foolish. Especially when this year and possibly next might really be your last years to compete before the real rebuild starts.

Pierre is off the books next year, the only guys who make more than 10mil are Rios, Dunn, Peavy and Konerko, with Konerko only having 1 more year before going down to 6.5 and Peavy also only having 1 more year.

In 2013 the Sox only have $51mil committed.

Not sure what bad contracts there are.

And in terms of farm, since Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura and that crew the Sox farm has been pretty bad, I just never expect the Sox prospects to do well. Thats just how it is, should be thankful we have Beckham, Sale, Santos, etc.

2 years of development, draft and trade is a lifetime for a baseball executive, I see no reason at all to worry outside of the fact attendance is so low.

And the overall negativity of a fan base, because that concerns me about attendance even more.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
Well you have no choice but to be "all in" (I hate using the marketing campaign here but it's true). This is what you get when you draft low upside talent in the first round and refuse to spend money in the draft, but that's a whole nother debate

But to just dismiss how good Rios is compared to the rest of the league because he is owed a lot of money is just foolish. Especially when this year and possibly next might really be your last years to compete before the real rebuild starts.

How would Mike Trout look right about now? I know, I know. Hindsight. But what are you paying your scouts, ect for?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 02:44 AM)
And the overall negativity of a fan base, because that concerns me about attendance even more.

It's really puzzling why fans aren't showing up right now. Won't get much better with Bulls postseason run coming up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
The ML team is sufficient for now. But we've got some bad contracts and no organizational depth. A playoff appearance would go a long way in alleviating those issues. But think about that...It's never a good thing when you're future is that predicated on making the playoffs.

I know it seems I am piling on you, I promise I'm not actively, but does a simple playoff appearance alleviate org depth issues? No doubt playoff appearances = extra money but as I stated earlier, this team just doesn't spend in the draft.

Further, as die hard sox fans like we are, you should never be satisfied with making the playoffs. I want rings, banners, and parades every damn year. That is what we should expect, not merely playoff appearances.

Correct me if im wrong but havent we drafted Beckham, Sale and Mitchell in the first round?

Arent those generally considered pretty good picks?

Baseball is one of the hardest things to draft, Tampa had what seems like hundreds of high first round picks and so many flamed out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
It's really puzzling why fans aren't showing up right now. Won't get much better with Bulls postseason run coming up.

It is a night game in April and Oakland not that big a draw. Sox should not have a 10 game homestand this early in the year anyway.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
How would Mike Trout look right about now? I know, I know. Hindsight. But what are you paying your scouts, ect for?

Would look great. To be fair, lots of teams passed on him, as he was playing high school ball in New Jersey and because of the short and cold spring, many teams did not see him enough.

On a side note, the Angels scouting director who drafted him was fired this off season.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 02:47 AM)
It is a night game in April and Oakland not that big a draw. Sox should not have a 10 game homestand this early in the year anyway.

I'm not expecting 30k, but the crowds the last two nights have been really poor. Normally I wouldn't care so much, but with all the emphasis put on it by JR and KW, it's disappointing.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Would look great. To be fair, lots of teams passed on him, as he was playing high school ball in New Jersey and because of the short and cold spring, many teams did not see him enough.

On a side note, the Angels scouting director who drafted him was fired this off season.

Hi how are you doing, my name is Ryan Sweeney!!!!

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
I know it seems I am piling on you, I promise I'm not actively, but does a simple playoff appearance alleviate org depth issues? No doubt playoff appearances = extra money but as I stated earlier, this team just doesn't spend in the draft.

Further, as die hard sox fans like we are, you should never be satisfied with making the playoffs. I want rings, banners, and parades every damn year. That is what we should expect, not merely playoff appearances.

You should know me by now. I'm the last one that is satisfied with only getting to the playoffs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
Correct me if im wrong but havent we drafted Beckham, Sale and Mitchell in the first round?

Arent those generally considered pretty good picks?

Baseball is one of the hardest things to draft, Tampa had what seems like hundreds of high first round picks and so many flamed out.

Mitchell was. Though extremely raw. And the injury last year has set him back big time. Sale has yet to be determined until if/when he starts.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)

Who's to say Mike Trout is going to be any good? He hasn't proven a thing yet.