White Sox vs. Oakland A's

justBLAZE

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
I'm not expecting 30k, but the crowds the last two nights have been really poor. Normally I wouldn't care so much, but with all the emphasis put on it by JR and KW, it's disappointing.

Especially half price Monday. Those games are almost always near sell-outs no matter the time or opponent

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
I'm not expecting 30k, but the crowds the last two nights have been really poor. Normally I wouldn't care so much, but with all the emphasis put on it by JR and KW, it's disappointing.

I can see your point hopefully crowds will be better later this month, i think they will be.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
Correct me if im wrong but havent we drafted Beckham, Sale and Mitchell in the first round?

Arent those generally considered pretty good picks?

Baseball is one of the hardest things to draft, Tampa had what seems like hundreds of high first round picks and so many flamed out.

I don't want to have his argument about Sale, but SOME thing he is a pen arm. Connect the dots on drafting pen arms in the first round. Obviously, that hinges on whatever Sale ends up being.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Would look great. To be fair, , as he was playing high school ball in New Jersey and because of the short and cold spring, many teams did not see him enough.

On a side note, the Angels scouting director who drafted him was fired this off season.

I don't like that excuse. Maybe those teams that passed on him had more pressing needs? We needed OF depth in the worst way. I'm not writing Mitchell off. But as of right now, it looks like this will ultimately end up another miss by the Sox brass.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
It's really puzzling why fans aren't showing up right now. Won't get much better with Bulls postseason run coming up.

You can't be serious. The draw in April after they win a World Series. The economy not recovering is going to be a big issue in attendance all over MLB this year as well.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
Who's to say Mike Trout is going to be any good? He hasn't proven a thing yet.

Top prospect in the game at age 20. Obviously he's going to have to eventually 'prove it' at the big league level. But he's a lot closer to The Show than Mitchell is. Even without the injury.

Im fine drafting any player who is great at something in the first round.

I dont have numbers but Id venture to say over 50% of first round picks never make a meaningful impact in the majors (id almost guess that 50% dont even make the majors).

MLB draft is way different than NFL/NBA etc

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
I don't like that excuse. Maybe those teams that passed on him had more pressing needs? We needed OF depth in the worst way. I'm not writing Mitchell off. But as of right now, it looks like this will ultimately end up another miss by the Sox brass.

I don't think teams draft on needs, but rather take the best available player.

And I agree with you on Mitchell. I liked the pick then but the future looks bleak.

Edited by Paint it Black

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
Top prospect in the game at age 20. Obviously he's going to have to eventually 'prove it' at the big league level. But he's a lot closer to The Show than Mitchell is. Even without the injury.

I understand but I know of plenty top prospects that haven't panned out. The Angels seem to have a lot of them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
If crowds dont get better I fear in 2013 we are going to be a middle of the pack spending team.

Ill hopefully get to 20-40 games this season, but from all reports even on the weekend it was really low attendance.

Sox won their World Series spending around middle of the pack.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 02:56 AM)
The A's are not a draw and the weather sucks.

They drew over the weekend just fine.

Come on folks let's ease up a little.

Weather was beautiful on Saturday, only 26k. Sunday was even nicer, and I believe it was less.