• Fire if still bad at the ASB
    • Fire at end of season if no post-season
    • Keep him indefinitely
  2. 2. What do you do with Walker?

• Fire now
    • Fire if offense still bad at the ASB
    • Fire at end of season if no post-season
    • Keep him indefinitely

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
You don't think Peavy and Rios are bad contracts? Peavy might have surpassed Zito as having the worst contract in the majors. I feel like you're confusing activity with achievement, as he's really hurt this organization by going "all in" with a roster that had flaws and sacrificing the future after this season.

Really? Now you are just being dramatic. Zito still has 3 years and $57 million left. Peavy can be gone after 2012 for $16 million this year, $17 million next year, plus his buyout in 13.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 4, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Its not a false argument. We could simply rebuilt our team with our own players if we not only drafted talent, but were able to consistently groom players within our system. If we had an actual teaching method we would be able to plug fundamentally sound players already versed in how the big team plays at least once in awhile. Instead we are forced to sign or acquire players from other teams to try and plug holes, which clearly hasnt been working most of the time. The organization as a whole has no direction, no philosophy, and pretty much no immediate hope of success. Thats grounds for a CEO to get fired by his board, and KW is the CEO of this organization.

Technically wouldn't KW be the COO?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Really? Now you are just being dramatic. Zito still has 3 years and $57 million left. Peavy can be gone after 2012 for $16 million this year, $17 million next year, plus his buyout in 13.

Depending on Peavy's health though and insurance, if he's getting 33 million to sit on the bench and eat soup, then that's just as bad as Zito's (but boy, is Zito's contract terrible).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Depending on Peavy's health though and insurance, if he's getting 33 million to sit on the bench and eat soup, then that's just as bad as Zito's (but boy, is Zito's contract terrible).

If he doesn't play, we get back 70% of the contract. So either Peavy pitches, or we only pay him 30%. Either way that is still way better than Zito.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
If he doesn't play, we get back 70% of the contract. So either Peavy pitches, or we only pay him 30%. Either way that is still way better than Zito.

But the question is, if he makes a few starts this year, do we get a prorated amount or is the insurance completely void?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Its not a false argument. We could simply rebuilt our team with our own players if we not only drafted talent, but were able to consistently groom players within our system. If we had an actual teaching method we would be able to plug fundamentally sound players already versed in how the big team plays at least once in awhile. Instead we are forced to sign or acquire players from other teams to try and plug holes, which clearly hasnt been working most of the time. The organization as a whole has no direction, no philosophy, and pretty much no immediate hope of success. Thats grounds for a CEO to get fired by his board, and KW is the CEO of this organization.

First of all, here is something you and others are failing to acknowledge... most teams get most of their talent from other teams. That's the nature of the game. The few teams who truly get a majority internally are usually the low payroll teams that are far less successful than the Sox. If you want to be the Royals, go ahead. I'd rather not.

And you have no clue about any sort of direction or philosophy within the organization. Neither do I. So that's just a silly thing to even discuss. Why bother?

Dayan Viciedo is hitting pretty well in the minors, a Morel for Dayan swap out wouldn't hurt my feelings.

"But where does he play?"

RF, LF, or DH, so Juan Pierre doesn't play every day, and Q doesn't hurt himself getting angry that this team can't win.

"Then who plays 3b??"

Omar or Teahen, either of which is more useful than Morel.

If it's a coach/manager/front office guy that goes down with the sinking ship, that's fine too. I've never been one to hunt for heads, I don't think I've ever latched on to a Fire ___________ thread or post, but it's time for some sort of movement.

Hmm think KW's gotta go. He built this team, and this team is out of it with worst record in baseball over a month into season.

* He traded for injured AND reinjured Peavy, added around 15mil per in payroll

* Signed Adam Dunn, similar to Thome after letting him go, had worse numbers than Thome in NL and costs around 15 mil per

* Let Jenks walk, not a bad move but Will Ohman money could of resigned him

* Linebrink signed to stupid contract, and we're still paying Linebrink to pitch on Braves in 2011

* Resigned AJ Perzynski, it was time to move on

* Acquired Juan Pierre

* Edwin Jackson and his plus salary acquired for Dan Hudson.

* TEAHEN

* WILL OHMAN

We need a hungry team that wants to win, this roster reminds me of a Cubs team and I hate it and they SUCK. This team is a disgrace.

Fire Kenny, Ozzie, Walker, Teahen, Pierre.

This team needs some bold moves, get younger and get a few MLB ready players and maybe pull in some good prospects for Danks, Buehrle, Jackson. Maybe even Konerko, Quentin, Ramirez, Thorton, considering rest of team is un tradeable or untouchable.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
But the question is, if he makes a few starts this year, do we get a prorated amount or is the insurance completely void?

My best guess is that it's completely void as soon as he toes an MLB rubber. I say this with very little knowledge of insurance, but it seems that as soon as a team gets any of their expected use out of a player, they're on the hook.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
My best guess is that it's completely void as soon as he toes an MLB rubber. I say this with very little knowledge of insurance, but it seems that as soon as a team gets any of their expected use out of a player, they're on the hook.

I'm fairly sure that's the case, as Baltimore had to deal with this uncertainty with Albert Belle.

1) Paying Juan Pierre $5 million this season. He made 3 physical/mental errors alone today, can't steal a base, has ZERO pop, no arm, has lost 2 steps now, blah blah blah.

2) Teahen, although he might have to earn that contract now with Morel seemingly headed back to Charlotte.

3) Tony Pena

4) Rios...and for failing to draft/develop a CF, namely holding onto Brian Anderson

5) Peavy

6) Ohman

7) AJ, paying him $6 million next season when he's way over the hill, can't throw out anyone, hardly ever drives the ball and is again rumored to be a clubhouse cancer when things aren't going well....this falls squarely on KW for not drafting or developing a catcher (Miguel Gonzalez and Tyler Flowers)

It remains to be seen on the Thornton contract. Paying a set-up guy $5+ million per year with a multi-year contract in his 30's isn't always the wisest move, as KW learned with Linebrink and Dotel.

Crain has been perhaps a little bit better than expected, as you don't see very much consistency from 7th and 8th inning guys over a 3-5 year basis.

Dunn and Konerko, those moves were understandable but neither of those guys is easily moved. Buehrle won't get anything much back in return either.

I don't see how we could be any worse with Viciedo as the DH, keeping the draft pick/s for Dunn, Hudson and Sale in the rotation.

Arguably, De Aza would be doing better than Pierre (hard to do worse).

At least we'd have 4/5th's of a starting rotation. I'm not even going to get into the Peavy fiasco again, it's too tiresome.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (b-Rye @ May 4, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
Hmm think KW's gotta go. He built this team, and this team is out of it with worst record in baseball over a month into season.

* He traded for injured AND reinjured Peavy, added around 15mil per in payroll

* Signed Adam Dunn, similar to Thome after letting him go, had worse numbers than Thome in NL and costs around 15 mil per

* Let Jenks walk, not a bad move but Will Ohman money could of resigned him

* Linebrink signed to stupid contract, and we're still paying Linebrink to pitch on Braves in 2011

* Resigned AJ Perzynski, it was time to move on

* Acquired Juan Pierre

* Edwin Jackson and his plus salary acquired for Dan Hudson.

* TEAHEN

* WILL OHMAN

We need a hungry team that wants to win, this roster reminds me of a Cubs team and I hate it and they SUCK. This team is a disgrace.

Fire Kenny, Ozzie, Walker, Teahen, Pierre.

This team needs some bold moves, get younger and get a few MLB ready players and maybe pull in some good prospects for Danks, Buehrle, Jackson. Maybe even Konerko, Quentin, Ramirez, Thorton, considering rest of team is un tradeable or untouchable.

Agree with most, except bringing back Jenks (period) and Jenks willingness to sign for anything close to Ohman money....or in general, not coming back unless he was guaranteed a shot to be the closer again.

Boston, he knew going in he wasn't getting that job over Papelbon or Bard.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Its not just out major league roster, he's responsible for the entire organization including the minor leagues and scouting. We have no identity, no "White Sox Way" being taught up and down our system. We have players coming up to the majors with poor fundamentals.

Williams should have stepped aside for Hahn last year and should do so right now.

That is a no brainer the replacement is in place.

I do not want Cooper as manager as this team still has a shot if they wake the f*** up and the only way that is happening is through pitching.

Send down Morel and give Lilli shot somewhere to lead off.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
I'm not even going into detail about the Jackson/Hudson trade and the impact on our payroll, but I'm willing to bet that when we trade Jackson in 2 months, it will be for a player far below Hudson's caliber.

Who we undoubtedly will have to pay 3-5X as much as we would have had to pay a cost-controlled Hudson over the next 5 years.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 4, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
fire everyone except the players since you can't I guess? Even though its 100% on the players? Sounds about right.

there aren't enough whambulances in the world for this site

Jenksy attacking fellow posters instead of the vastly underachieving team. That's new :lol:

No one on this board, no one in the press, no one in baseball thought this team, as constructed, would be this horrible. So how the hell can anyone fault KW for not knowing it was bad?

What I see each game is a lack of preparedness, a lack of intensity, a lack of fundamentals, and a lack of confidence. None of these have anything, whatsoever, to do with the GM.