Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 2

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
To be fair, the 2nd rd pick does seem kinda meh. But the other 2 seem like good risks.

Not that it matters, but Keith Law had Johnson #50 overall in his rankings, which in Law valuation means he was a value. Baseball is one of the hardest to project and just from looking at BA, Law's, and other rankings it really comes down to what characteristics you value most... I think with these pitchers we've taken thus far we've shown that we're at least beyond the years of drafting lance broadways and kyle mcollough's (good stats iffy stuff...) which is a solid progression. cant be upset with the pitcher picks thus far for sure, its about as good as we could hope to do with the assumed budget contraints considered

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Ramirez is the better prospect. But I guarantee you he'll cost more so we ran.

Ok that's fine, but that doesnt detract from the fact that we appeared to have still gotten good value from that spot. It's one thing to knock the decision of him over someone else, but he was specifically pointing to the player selected, and according to BA that is a good pick.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
I wonder why Noe Ramirez is still available?

He isn't a sexy pick but I'd really like him. My guess is some of his injuries also could have scared teams off. Very solid pitcher and at worse case I think he profiles as a nice lefty reliever, although I think he has a shot at making it as a starter. Glad to see him nabbed though. Loved watching him at Fullerton.

So far I like our day 2 picks. Some solid upside and I like Johnson. I saw him pitch once and he has good life on that slider and a good fastball. Plus, the one thing the Sox have done a good job of in there system is taking guys with control issues and help develping them. Our minor leagues have a pretty good reputation at developing and working with pitchers and helping them repeat there delivery. In fact, I've only heard very very good things about the vast majority of our pitching coaches in the minor league system.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
So far I like our day 2 picks. Some solid upside and I like Johnson. I saw him pitch once and he has good life on that slider and a good fastball. Plus, the one thing the Sox have done a good job of in there system is taking guys with control issues and help develping them. Our minor leagues have a pretty good reputation at developing and working with pitchers and helping them repeat there delivery. In fact, I've only heard very very good things about the vast majority of our pitching coaches in the minor league system.

I didn't care for the Johnson pick, but I agree about the Sox doing well in terms of getting guys to repeat their delivery. When I see guys that struggle with that in a scouting report, I get excited.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I didn't care for the Johnson pick, but I agree about the Sox doing well in terms of getting guys to repeat their delivery. When I see guys that struggle with that in a scouting report, I get excited.

I don't like the combination of the two relief prospect picks. Seems short sighted. Individually I don't have a problem with the players but in the deepest pitching draft in eon's we are taking safe college relievers. Haven't they learned there lessons with all of the failed college relievers they have taken in the past.

Again, don't mind the players, don't like our draft strategy here, thus far. Liked our 3rd rounder more than this guy (even though he is a value pick).