2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawks resign Emery to a one year extension worth 1.15 million.

Awful. Hawks will once again have two backups going into next season. (unless Crawford goes Jimmy Howard after the sophomore slump)

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Hope they can score on quick. Not sure losing that way is a good thing or not.

Looks like it'll be Phoenix the Hawks will face.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
Hawks resign Emery to a one year extension worth 1.15 million.

Awful. Hawks will once again have two backups going into next season. (unless Crawford goes Jimmy Howard after the sophomore slump)

Looks like it'll be Phoenix the Hawks will face.

They don't have the money to go after a real goalie unless they trade one of their premier players

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
They don't have the money to go after a real goalie unless they trade one of their premier players

Cap is going up next season and guys like Brunette, Oduya (although I hope they resign him) Mayers, O'Donnell, Lepisto etc. (and Huet as far as real money) are off the books. Not saying they should trade for a high cap hit like Ryan Miller, but someone like Al Montoya for example (local guy, FA) would have been ideal. Hell even a guy in Rockford (didn't Salak post better numbers in preseason than Emery?) pushing Crawford would have made sense.

And I'm sure Frolik will be getting shopped this offseason.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
I have zero to base this on, but I'm just guessing he's not 100%, but somehow, magically, come game 1, he'll be "all set" and "feeling perfect." Funny how that sort of timing took place...

I don't like it.

My guess: He doesn't play in the series and very likely not at all the rest of the year. If I'm him, I give absolutely no credence to anything anyone other than my own, personal team of experts has to say. That's not to say anyone associated with the Hawks or the league is untrustworthy, but its too big a life issue to be even remotely influenced by a potential conflict of interest.

Re-seeding will probably screw this up, but here goes nothing:

NYR over Ott in 6

Bos over Was in 6

NJ over Fla in 5

Pit over Phi in 6

Van over LA in 5

SJ over STL in 6

Chi over Phx in 7

Nsh over Det in 7

NYR over NJ in 6

Pit over Bos in 7

Van over SJ in 6

Nsh over Chi in 5

Pit over NYR in 5

Van over Nsh in 6

Van over Pit in 7 (Hope I'm wrong)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Hawks won't need 7 to drop the 'yotes.

Mike Smith has been the hottest goalie in the NHL, so that worries me a bit. Toews practiced on a line with Hossa & Kane today. No official word on his availability until Thursday, still playing it day-to-day.

Promising news.

CHICAGO -- Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews practiced Monday with the top line of Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa for the first time since Feb. 19 as the team prepared for its first-round playoff series against the Phoenix Coyotes which begins on Thursday.

Toews missed the final 22 games of the season as he recovered from a concussion. His status for Thursday's series opener is uncertain.

Check back for updates.

Source: ESPNChicago.com

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
I say sit Toews for the rest of the season, no need to f*** up his career potentially. Let him rest. This team doesnt have a great shot of contending for the cup IMO.

Boston is experiencing the same thing with Horton. Although Horton still has a long ways to go still, there is no reason to risk it. We dont need anymore players ending up like Marc Savard.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
That's not promising. That just means Tazer will get his head mashed.

That's only if you're assuming that he's coming back before he feels ready. I have no knowledge of how he feels, and I haven't felt like the Hawks were rushing him. If he feels ready to go, then I don't see why you wouldn't play him. At minimum, it's promising that he feels good enough to fully participate in practice.