2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
Shea Weber = dumb

I couldn't believe he did that when I saw it. There has to be something that Zetterberg did before that to tick him off. Hank did hit him from behind and kinda came up with the elbow, but I don't believe that that's all it took to piss Weber off like it did.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
HAHAHAHA you suck Alex Burrows! Mike Richards lays him the f*** out, then he skates over the puck like an idiot and the Kings get the empty-netter. Wings and most importantly, Vancouver lost. f***ing awesome day of hockey!

I'd rather play Detroit than Nashville

I was reading a blog on the Nash/Det game this morning at Midway and they mentioned that Pekka Rinne came out of the locker room with a stim machine designed to eliminate lactic acid strapped to his legs. The reporters commet: Its been confirmed, Pekka Rinne really is half machine.

Pretty damn funny.

Rosenbloom hits it on the head

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...,1209560.column

Steve Rosenbloom The RosenBlog

12:41 p.m. CDT, April 12, 2012

Nashville defenseman Shea Weber rammed Detroit center Henrik Zetterberg’s head into the glass at the end of their playoff opener Wednesday night.

Weber missed the first time, but got the Red Wings center the second. Weber rammed Zetterberg’s head into the glass like an old-time wrestler running his opponent into a turnbuckle.

It was bad. It was obvious. It was stupid. It was concussive.

But most of all, it was suspend-able.

Weber’s act was exactly the kind of hit that the league has punished significantly this year and last. The league zealously protected its players’ heads, and it was lauded for such vigilance.

Duncan Keith just got five games for a WWE-like flying elbow on Daniel Sedin. Weber’s actions were as blatant as Keith’s, intended to do as much damage, and every bit motivated by revenge, which makes it exponentially indefensible.

This, then, figured to be bad for Weber and the Predators. This, then figured to be major.

But Brendan Shanahan choked.

The NHL wonk in charge of making miscreants stay after school did nothing more than fine Weber a mere $2,500, and only that because that was maximum allowed by the collective bargaining agreement.

No suspension. No missed games. No real punishment. Just a silly fine for a serious act.

Shanahan got pantsed. He clowned his own league. He turned the best time of the year into a joke.

The Stanley Cup playoffs just started, and the NHL’s credibility is over.

This decision seems so indefensible and incomprehensible that it smacks of a spineless NHL from a generation ago. The only thing missing is John Ziegler’s big red nose.

If there’s no suspension for something as blatant and contrary to league dictates as Weber’s act, then there can be no suspension for anyone the rest of the playoffs.

It’s recess, kids, and all the adults left.

I rarely agree with Rosenbloom...but he is definitely right on. This borders assault. It was outside of any kind of hockey play. Shanahan and the NHL should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. And Weber better watch his back in the next game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
Weber gets a $2500 (yes, two thousand, five hundred) fine for his hit on Zetterberg. What a f***ing joke.

Fail. I guess the Red Wings should have lied and said Zetterberg may have a concussion, maybe then Shanahan would have done something.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
The NHL is afraid to suspend a star player in the playoffs.

What a joke.

I had a feeling he'd keep playing. Its ridiculous, but I can't say I'm completely surprised.

What's even more hypocritical is how closely the refs were calling just about everything early in that game. There were three minors called in the first period on almost incidental contact that could have easily been let go.

So much for the refs "getting a handle on things" early in the series. Shanahan just made their jobs a whole lot tougher.