2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
Olesz has a $1mil buyout but it's 6 years.

Wow, really? I'm assuming exercising this means a 1 million dollar cap hit the next six years? I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks do this. The cap should go up by a pretty healthy amount again next year due to the new TV contract taking hold, and the league is growing, so I see no reason for that general upward trend not to continue. Might be worth the buyout to save a little over 2 million the next 3 seasons and take your chances with having an extra million in there the three after that. Of course, maybe they could trade him and just get rid of the contract outright, or have plans to keep and use him. We'll see.

Either way, this was obviously an incredible trade. The Brouwer trade was too, though. Even if you take out how bad Campbell's contract (which you can't do), his offensive game has really been showing signs of decline IMO, and the defensive aspect of our defenseman play as a whole (including Soupy) fell off last year. With his size, I wonder if age is catching up to him a big quicker than it would most guys at his position. Campbell was still a good puck mover, and I'd prefer if the Hawks pick up a solid d man during free agency or via trade before next season. But I wouldn't be overwhelmingly angry if Campoli is simply brought back, and a cheap vet or kid is the 6th d man. But I think I like Leddy more than most people, so keep that in mind.

Everything is in play at this point in terms of dream scenarios IMO. I might wet my pants if Richards and Kaberle are inked, although I still think that'd be tough to afford against the cap. But even if they aren't, there are other options out there. I think it's pretty clear, especially with the teams want for a center and the lack of depth at the center spot individually in this free agent class, that the team is going to make a run at Richards. I cannot wait for July 1st.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

It's too bad Campbell was being paid so much, because he was a good player. He was probably $4.5m/yr good, though, not 7.14. As for the Brouwer trade, it's amazing that Bowman was able to get a 1st round pick for a guy who really wasn't any good last season.

Good luck and thanks for the memories, guys.

Anyhow, I wonder how serious Brad Richards is about winning a cup. Would he sign here for 3-4 years, in time for his deal to be up for Kane and Toews' next extensions?

If not, Bieksa or Ehrhoff will be nice for Campbell's replacement. I wouldn't mind Konopka or Asham as 4th line physicality guys, either. Joel Ward or Erik Cole would be nice players to snag, too.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:04 AM)
My god... Stan Bowman.. :o

Now extend Sharp, re-sign Frolik and get us a vet, physical defense-man to pair with Leddy or Campoli if re-signed (Wiz please. :)) or Ehrhoff if Hawks don't feel Leddy is ready for a top 4 role.

Just say no to Wiz.

The Hawks also desperately need two enforcer-types who also are decently skilled. None of this John Scott s***. He was so bad he barely could even get minutes.

Really wouldn't mind Ben Eager back, too. Was great for the Hawks as a fourth-line winger who was talented enough to play on the third. But was never afraid to drop the gloves.

We really needed a physical presence last year and had nothing except Scott who sucked. Plus, nobody even wanted to fight him because they were scared.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
Really wouldn't mind Ben Eager back, too. Was great for the Hawks as a fourth-line winger who was talented enough to play on the third. But was never afraid to drop the gloves.

I couldn't agree more. I think the Hawks missed the Eager-Beaver more than people realize. There are few players in the league that can match Eager's mix of grit and surprising skill level. He's a really valuable on a team where he isn't asked to be something he's not.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
I really wish we could get Ladd back somehow.

The ThrasherJets are not giving him up, and I doubt he'd want to regress back into his role here after being given the C and a prominent role in their system.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
Wow, really? I'm assuming exercising this means a 1 million dollar cap hit the next six years? I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks do this. The cap should go up by a pretty healthy amount again next year due to the new TV contract taking hold, and the league is growing, so I see no reason for that general upward trend not to continue. Might be worth the buyout to save a little over 2 million the next 3 seasons and take your chances with having an extra million in there the three after that. Of course, maybe they could trade him and just get rid of the contract outright, or have plans to keep and use him. We'll see.

Either way, this was obviously an incredible trade. The Brouwer trade was too, though. Even if you take out how bad Campbell's contract (which you can't do), his offensive game has really been showing signs of decline IMO, and the defensive aspect of our defenseman play as a whole (including Soupy) fell off last year. With his size, I wonder if age is catching up to him a big quicker than it would most guys at his position. Campbell was still a good puck mover, and I'd prefer if the Hawks pick up a solid d man during free agency or via trade before next season. But I wouldn't be overwhelmingly angry if Campoli is simply brought back, and a cheap vet or kid is the 6th d man. But I think I like Leddy more than most people, so keep that in mind.

Everything is in play at this point in terms of dream scenarios IMO. I might wet my pants if Richards and Kaberle are inked, although I still think that'd be tough to afford against the cap. But even if they aren't, there are other options out there. I think it's pretty clear, especially with the teams want for a center and the lack of depth at the center spot individually in this free agent class, that the team is going to make a run at Richards. I cannot wait for July 1st.

Unfortunately, they can't buy Olesz out because of his present injury. He'll be on the roster for 11-12.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Unfortunately, they can't buy Olesz out because of his present injury. He'll be on the roster for 11-12.

There seem to be conflicting reports on whether or not we will be able to buy him out if that is the route they want to go.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
Please sign Bieksa.

I hate him so much, but man would he be a great addition to toughen up the blue line. I think Ehrhoff and Laich would be a solid pairing for additions.

You know that romantically making out couple at the Vancouver protests the other week? Wasn't so sweet after all. Wasn't staged, either, unfortunately. New video shows the couple just before the photo was shot, and that lovely kiss was in fact a visibly upset Alexandra Thomas being comforted by Scott Jones, after riot cops beat and kicked her while she lay supine on the ground. Despicable.

I saw this one projected lineup on a 'Hawks board by what everyone knows him as the cap geek on that site, and it looked like this:

Bickell Toews Kane

Sharp Richards Hossa

Frolik Bolland Ward

Smith Madden Kruger

That would be ridiculously scary, but probably a pipe-dream.

The bottom line is, like I said earlier, if they can sign Richards for 3-4 years (just in time for when Toews and Kane need new extensions), it would be a great pick-up.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

That kissing couple is really starting to annoy the hell out of me. I dont know why the media is making them to be something cool. Maybe they didnt fire bomb a car but they put themselves in a bad situation by being in that mob. No reason they should be getting their 15 minutes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
I hate him so much, but man would he be a great addition to toughen up the blue line. I think Ehrhoff and Laich would be a solid pairing for additions.

Those are two guys I've given a lot of thought to as well.

It seems like there is a group of the holier than thou, we're smarter than everybody else Hawks fans throughout some portions of the interwebs who are freaking out about dealing Campbell. Although looking at this thread, they're clearly not on this board. :lol: I don't understand why they are, but whatever. Apparently, they trust Campbell will stay healthy and see no decline in his game as that bad contract continues and he heads into his mid 30's. Even though I would argue every part of his game outside of puck movement already is. I just think fans get too attached to players sometimes, and fear the unknown that is a replacement.

Oh and if that stupid kissing couple didn't want to get pummeled by the cops, they probably shouldn't have been running through the street with a mob of rioters after darkness, which means it was quite a while after the riots started.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
I saw this one projected lineup on a 'Hawks board by what everyone knows him as the cap geek on that site, and it looked like this:

Bickell Toews Kane

Sharp Richards Hossa

Frolik Bolland Ward

Smith Madden Kruger

The bottom line is, like I said earlier, if they can sign Richards for 3-4 years (just in time for when Toews and Kane need new extensions), it would be a great pick-up.

My initial reactions are I like Smith much better than Bickell on the Kane/Toews line. Bickell is too slow for Kane/Toews and doesn't use his body enough in front of the net. I also don't think that team has enough strength. Ward was pretty good defensively for Nashville (so I read) last year, so I don't mind him. I can do without Madden again.

As good as Richards is, I don't think the Hawks will commit five/six years at $6 million for him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)

Bickell Toews Kane

Sharp Richards Hossa

Frolik Bolland Ward

Smith Madden Kruger

Honestly, I think I'd rather have Smith on the top line with Toews and Kane. I could just falling into the trap of how clutch he is, but any 3rd forward on that line will immediately get a lot better. But no matter what, you have to have Olesz in their somewhere because they can't cut ties with him or his contract. I adore the idea of bringing Madden back to center the 4th line. Ward and Bolland on the same line would be incredibly fun to watch. That 2nd line though is a top line on a lot of NHL teams.

The only problem here is what happens to the defense? You're not going to let John Scott play full time. If it works financially, I'm all about bringing Sopel back. You'd be looking at 2/7 - 4/8 - Sopel/Campoli?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
Those are two guys I've given a lot of thought to as well.

It seems like there is a group of the holier than thou, we're smarter than everybody else Hawks fans throughout some portions of the interwebs who are freaking out about dealing Campbell. Although looking at this thread, they're clearly not on this board. :lol: I don't understand why they are, but whatever. Apparently, they trust Campbell will stay healthy and see no decline in his game as that bad contract continues and he heads into his mid 30's. Even though I would argue every part of his game outside of puck movement already is. I just think fans get too attached to players sometimes, and fear the unknown that is a replacement.

Oh and if that stupid kissing couple didn't want to get pummeled by the cops, they probably shouldn't have been running through the street with a mob of rioters after darkness, which means it was quite a while after the riots started.

As of right now, the Hawks are a much worse team than they were 2 days ago. There's no doubt that losing Campbell will hurt. He's a veteran who's won the Cup, he gets the puck moving offensively, and he was (ironically) a +51 in his 3 years with the Hawks, including +28 last year, which was something like 3rd in the NHL. The Hawks have to spend this money, but they also need to spend it wisely. Giving Richards a 9 year contract with a 7 million cap hit puts us right back in the same position financially. I can't say his game has declined much at all but he has certainly had some inopportune injuries. The fact of the matter is that they had to rid themselves of that contract/

Ok, did some more roster analysis. Here's another scenario: Resign Frolik, sign Laich, Ehrhoff, Sopel, Madden.

Kane Toews Smith

Sharp Laich Hossa

Frolik Bolland Bickell

Olesz Madden Kruger

Keith Seabrook

Hjalmarsson Ehroff

Leddy Sopel

I like Smith on the top line with Kane/Toews as I've mentioned before. He simply play smart and has great positioning. Laich centering the 2nd line would be sexy. Frolik/Bolland/Bickell was a downright dirty line against Vancouver, and was fun to watch. Great two-way line. Olesz and Kruger bring you some toughness with talent on the 4th line and Madden will do his thing.

The defense gets much stronger. You assume Leddy will continue to improve. 2/7 is what it is. Ehrhoff makes up for the loss of Soupy, but we also gain a big time shot blocker and tough guy in Sopel. Financially, this should all work too, unless Laich or Ehrhoff asks for considerably more than expected. Madden and Sopel should come cheap and I don't think Frolik could command THAT much unless someone offer-sheets him. In that case, we still have Morin waiting in the wings. Let's aim high and say Laich and Ehrhoff 5 each, 3 for Frolik and 1 each for Madden and Sopes, that's about 700k over what the Hawks have to spend, so it could be a possibility.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:41 AM)
Ok, did some more roster analysis. Here's another scenario: Resign Frolik, sign Laich, Ehrhoff, Sopel, Madden.

Kane Toews Smith

Sharp Laich Hossa

Frolik Bolland Bickell

Olesz Madden Kruger

Keith Seabrook

Hjalmarsson Ehroff

Leddy Sopel

I like Smith on the top line with Kane/Toews as I've mentioned before. He simply play smart and has great positioning. Laich centering the 2nd line would be sexy. Frolik/Bolland/Bickell was a downright dirty line against Vancouver, and was fun to watch. Great two-way line. Olesz and Kruger bring you some toughness with talent on the 4th line and Madden will do his thing.

The defense gets much stronger. You assume Leddy will continue to improve. 2/7 is what it is. Ehrhoff makes up for the loss of Soupy, but we also gain a big time shot blocker and tough guy in Sopel. Financially, this should all work too, unless Laich or Ehrhoff asks for considerably more than expected. Madden and Sopel should come cheap and I don't think Frolik could command THAT much unless someone offer-sheets him. In that case, we still have Morin waiting in the wings. Let's aim high and say Laich and Ehrhoff 5 each, 3 for Frolik and 1 each for Madden and Sopes, that's about 700k over what the Hawks have to spend, so it could be a possibility.

I don't abhor your ideas, but I do genuinely think we have to ask how much Madden could possibly have left in the tank at this point. Also, there's a very real chance that McNeil could be taking up 3rd Lind center immediately.

This would bump Bolland to that checking line if we are indeed intent on improving our #2 center position from the outside. I also have to imagine t(of pray) that Beach contends for a spot on this roster; we very well might see some youth movement here.

If that's the case, I expect Kaberle to be signed as the Hawks focus on defense, along with the aforementioned center upgrade (again, the more I read the less likely Richards sounds. I think the hawks can't afford a deal similar to the Campbell one they just dropped). This will all be hhighly entertaining.

Edited by Steve9347

Expect to see John Scott get more minutes on the blueline for the Chicago Blackhawks next season.

The Blackhawks were planning to give Scott more minutes anyway, but the trade of Brian Campbell has opened up a spot on defense and Nick Leddy and Scott are expected to take most, if not all of them. "Nick was going to have a bigger role even if we had kept Brian," GM Stan Bowman said. "[With Scott], our goal is can we develop him over the summer here and through the camp so he can play more minutes." Scott will pick up lots of penalty minutes and should have a good plus/minus in the Windy City.

From Rotoworld via the Sun-Times

Where do I barf? Scott had nothing last year, absolutely nothing. It is not a stretch to say he was the least talented NHL player in 2011. He's fine I suppose as your 7th defenseman, but under no situation should he see more playing time.

Edited by maggsmaggs

More minutes for John Scott means more minutes of BAD hockey for the Blackhawks.

Seriously, if Scott takes up most of Brian Campbell's minutes, the Campbell trade suddenly becomes a bad move.

That's the ONLY WAY the Campbell trade could become a bad move.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
From Rotoworld via the Sun-Times

Where do I barf? Scott had nothing last year, absolutely nothing. It is not a stretch to say he was the least talented NHL player in 2011. He's fine I suppose as your 7th defenseman, but under no situation should he see more playing time.

The day I start listening to Rotoworld in terms of whether the Hawks are going to use Scott as the 4th/5th D-man is the day I shoot myself.