PED accusations

Real

they started the segment by giving Konerko's stats and age vs. the norm. Mac quickly squashed the idea that Konerko was using but it sparked a debate as to whether numbers alone are enough to accuse.

mac actually started the conversation because he had heard co workers talk about it or something like that. He defended paul by saying he does not have the body. It was a nice conversation with good points on both sides of the fence.

edit: updated with accurate information

Edited by Real

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Just turned on the score and it seems they were discussing something in one of the Chicago papers? Then caller "Jim" phones in and tries to give validity to this arguement

Anybody else hear/read about this?

I just caught a clip on the Score coming back from an appointment, but I was waiting for it to start. Honestly, baseball did it to itself, if Pujols, Bautista, etc get it, PK is not above it.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Just turned on the score and it seems they were discussing something in one of the Chicago papers? Then caller "Jim" phones in and tries to give validity to this arguement

Anybody else hear/read about this?

This is irresponsible and shouldn't even be a post. If we make a thread on what every moron speculates, this.board.is.dead.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
This is irresponsible and shouldn't even be a post. If we make a thread on what every moron speculates, this.board.is.dead.

I don't like it, but this is all about Bud Selig refusing to take control of this situation in MLB. NO ONE is above being accused.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
I don't like it, but this is all about Bud Selig refusing to take control of this situation in MLB. NO ONE is above being accused.

Give me an article. Give me rumors. Don't give me idiot caller from Springfield on the Score.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
Give me an article. Give me rumors. Don't give me idiot caller from Springfield on the Score.

Oh I know. But it isn't the first time it has happened here either. I am pretty sure I remember someone attributing the health of what was supposed to be a degenerative hip condition to being on the stuff.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)

well the Score is having a discussion about it. So possibly one caller started it, but it is out there and being discussed. Again, this is what MLB and Uncle Bud did to the game and the conversation surrounding this issue. They decided to ignore it and roll in the cash from it and now there premiere superstar in Pujols is questioned about it a lot as are other players.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Edited the topic title.

Nothing wrong with discussing it, though we should be careful. If anyone can determine what this is about, if its any more than just some doofus caller with a theory, let us know.

Nothing related to PK and PEDs/steroids the last 24 hours according to Google. It was caller speculation, and just because the Score talks about it, that doesn't mean there needs to be a thread started here that gets cache'd by Google.

I've heard so many rumors about MLB players being on PEDS the last few years, and not once heard anything about Konerko. Hell, if you see him in person in street clothes, he looks like the opposite of what an athlete should look like. He's someone that's always had a similar swing at the plate, and it's not like he's hitting landmark home runs. If the Chicago media wants someone to bash for PEDS, there's a certain 1B in Chicago who hit 3 home runs in the Sox/Cubs series that is a running joke. The Sox know Konerko's workout routine and health situation better than anyone, and if they thought there was anything fishy, I highly doubt they would have extended his contract again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I've heard so many rumors about MLB players being on PEDS the last few years, and not once heard anything about Konerko. Hell, if you see him in person in street clothes, he looks like the opposite of what an athlete should look like. He's someone that's always had a similar swing at the plate, and it's not like he's hitting landmark home runs. If the Chicago media wants someone to bash for PEDS, there's a certain 1B in Chicago who hit 3 home runs in the Sox/Cubs series that is a running joke. The Sox know Konerko's workout routine and health situation better than anyone, and if they thought there was anything fishy, I highly doubt they would have extended his contract again.

its pretty obvious Pena was juicing in texas, that organization seems to be a safe haven for drug use, and not just PEDs...

no mac actually started the conversation because he had heard co workers talk about it or something like that. He defended paul by saying he does not have the body. It was a nice conversation with good points on both sides of the fence.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
its pretty obvious Pena was juicing in texas, that organization seems to be a safe haven for drug use, and not just PEDs...

Pena was simply a September call-up for the Rangers in 2001, and that was it for his time in Texas. He was traded to the A's the following January.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
I really want this topic title changed to "Speculative PED use around baseball" and switched forums and/or deleted before it winds up on the web forever.

Someone mod me so I can make this ever important change like a responsible person. You may de-mod me seconds later.

ORRRRRRRR save us all the time and hassle and just f***ing do it. I am angry now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
I really want this topic title changed to "Speculative PED use around baseball" and switched forums and/or deleted before it winds up on the web forever.

that seems like a fair idea. There really are two topics in this climate, specific players PED usage and evidence linking them and the cloud that Selig and owners let hang over this sport by turning a blind eye to the issue and now basically every player who has a breakout year or a bump in their stats later on in their career has speculation cast their way.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Someone mod me so I can make this ever important change like a responsible person. You may de-mod me seconds later.

ORRRRRRRR save us all the time and hassle and just f***ing do it. I am angry now.

Yeah I agree...it's not as if a post on this site has never made national news before...