PED accusations

Real

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
I hate your sig because it makes me pine for a location that offers such greatness.

Those are happy hour prices at the local dive, but they have 2 four-hour Happy Hours daily to accommodate the shift workers at the Coors brewery.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
haha, just take a look at Konerko.. some people should really learn about steroids before making accusations about people

Not saying PK is on them at all, but for many PEDs and how they can help an athlete, eye test isn't best way to go.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Or Pablo Ozuna

Obviously, steroids don't work for everyone.. and of course you need distinguish if said person is using them to recover and heal faster or to stay big and strong long past you normally should be..

Konerko isn't some hulking mass up there at the plate, and honestly hes looked pretty much the same as he always has in his time here.. Im just not buying it

There are so many different types of steroids now than can be either masked partially or fully in urine testing, not to mention all the other designer PEDs available that are only detectable via blood like EPO and HGH which require stored blood and retesting to compare samples due to how they work

I've done some research on this... because it's rampant in Boxing, which is my favorite sport...

But it's not accurate to use the eye test in terms of physique to claim someone is or isnt juicing...

It's more accurate to take age and production into consideration, but that isn't enough to make accusations either

I don't think Paulie is juicing for the record, and this thread wasnt meant to be some sort of devil's advocate piece either

Didn't look at everything to see if this has already been posted, from an article about Paulie and the HOF a couple weeks ago:

Ozzie Guillen told reporters before Sunday’s game. “And by the way, P.K. did it clean. There’s no doubt he did it the right way.”

Granted, Ozzie's not Gospel, but why would he put himself on the line in this way if it weren't true?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
Edited the topic title.

Nothing wrong with discussing it, though we should be careful. If anyone can determine what this is about, if its any more than just some doofus caller with a theory, let us know.

PED use is a fact for sure. Sad but true. However, I agree that you have to be careful and use common sense on these issues. You had better not start throwing someone's name out there and specualting and even claiming they were PED users. If there isn't proof don't talk about it. Unfortunantely these callers don't have a lot of sense sometimes

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
PED use is a fact for sure. Sad but true. However, I agree that you have to be careful and use common sense on these issues. You had better not start throwing someone's name out there and specualting and even claiming they were PED users. If there isn't proof don't talk about it. Unfortunantely these callers don't have a lot of sense sometimes

It wasnt brought up by a caller, though he feels Konerko's performance at this age is suspicious

He's the same caller that calls in and bashes the Sox under different names and locations, he's pathetic really

Any avid score listeners should know who I'm talking about

He was "Jim" today, I've heard him claim to be "Benjamin" before also

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
It wasnt brought up by a caller, though he feels Konerko's performance at this age is suspicious

He's the same caller that calls in and bashes the Sox under different names and locations, he's pathetic really

Any avid score listeners should know who I'm talking about

He was "Jim" today, I've heard him claim to be "Benjamin" before also

I know who you are talking about, I have heard him too. He always claims "I think this team is awful and isnt getting any better and nobody else sees it"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
You know, Harold Baines had some of his better offensive numbers in his late 30's very early 40s. Spent some time in Oakland......................... Just saying. And what about Carlton Fisk?

Thanks to Mr.'s Selig and others...can you honestly say with 100% confidence that you can rule them out?

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
There are so many different types of steroids now than can be either masked partially or fully in urine testing, not to mention all the other designer PEDs available that are only detectable via blood like EPO and HGH which require stored blood and retesting to compare samples due to how they work

I've done some research on this... because it's rampant in Boxing, which is my favorite sport...

But it's not accurate to use the eye test in terms of physique to claim someone is or isnt juicing...

It's more accurate to take age and production into consideration, but that isn't enough to make accusations either

I don't think Paulie is juicing for the record, and this thread wasnt meant to be some sort of devil's advocate piece either

It's not only the type but also how you train when taking them. You can train for power and bulk up which is what you see with hitter and a certain golfer who is now having difficulty staying healthy.

You can also train for speed and endurance. One of the primary traits of PEDS is to help you recover faster from any type of workout. This is why relief pitchers in baseball have been caught alot. Cyclists also use extensively in this manner.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
Thanks to Mr.'s Selig and others...can you honestly say with 100% confidence that you can rule them out?

Don't forget to blame the players association. Selig started drug testing in the minors long before the players union agreed to it. He isn't innocent by any stretch but he tried and it took congress to get the MLB players to agree to it.

There will also never be a blood test due to the union unless congress acts again. HGH will continue to be used by the players who can afford it. It takes a greater quantity and frequency to achieve the results with HGH as opposed to anabolics.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
Don't forget to blame the players association. Selig started drug testing in the minors long before the players union agreed to it. He isn't innocent by any stretch but he tried and it took congress to get the MLB players to agree to it.

There will also never be a blood test due to the union unless congress acts again. HGH will continue to be used by the players who can afford it. It takes a greater quantity and frequency to achieve the results with HGH as opposed to anabolics.

I know the players association fought this, but Bud Selig has one thing in his pocket that makes him the most to blame here. He has the ability act unilaterally "for the good of the game". With the anti-trust exemption granted to baseball, it really couldn't be stopped. Granted he can't do it during a contract with the MLBPA, but there is nothing to stop him from saying that the day after the CBA expires, there will be Olympic style testing. He has instead hid behind the MLBPA. Bud Selig is spineless when it came to drug testing.l

How come Ivan Roridguez gets a pass when it comes to peds? I have heard Hawk rave about him and today the FOX announcers assured us he was a first ballot HOFer. He and A-rod are both admitted users. Let Mcguire and and Bonds in or keep these guys out.Take a fricking stand one way or the other. No selective favorite sons!

QUOTE (since56 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
How come Ivan Roridguez gets a pass when it comes to peds? I have heard Hawk rave about him and today the FOX announcers assured us he was a first ballot HOFer. He and A-rod are both admitted users. Let Mcguire and and Bonds in or keep these guys out.Take a fricking stand one way or the other. No selective favorite sons!

When did he admit?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)

Totally agree with you on the huge role of the PA/Fehr etc.

Maybe I'm too much an optimist, but I don't think the Union has the MLB by the short and curlies the way they had in the past. It shouldn't be too hard to publicly humiliate the PA with a "what have you got to hide? stance", and perhaps gain sympathy with a "the risks are too great for all of us, to go through another painful watershed, if we don't become a leader among the major sports in PED testing" argument. The continued HOF snubbing of a whole generation of the best statistical players we've ever seen will only get uglier.

In short, I believe blood testing has a chance to become a reality.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
When did he admit?

I can't recall the date or the source. Sorry, I know that is amateurish, but I am sure I heard he admitted using with out knowing or experimenting. I'd say about two years ago. Around the same time as A-Rod. Maybe another poster can help me with this.