From "ALL IN" to ALL DUNN!!!!!!!

soxfan72

"I felt good at the beginning, and as the game went on, I lost command with my fastball," said Floyd, who hasn't won in six starts since June 1. "Chalk it up to a bad start. You just keep working hard and get on to the next start."

Love the enthusiasm, Gavin!!!

"We are halfway through the season, and there's a long way to go," Rios said. "We still have some guys — me included — that are struggling, and when we get them (hitting), we'll have a totally different team. The only thing we can do is to keep playing hard and wait until that happens."

Dunn also struck out twice to raise his season total to 115.

"I feel like me and Alex, we've been as bad as you could possibly be," Dunn said, "and if we're doing half of what we normally do, we're not even talking about this. We talked about it, and we're putting it all on us in the second half basically."

GREAT, because putting all of the pressure on yourself as a hitter really tends to work well!!!

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
"I felt good at the beginning, and as the game went on, I lost command with my fastball," said Floyd, who hasn't won in six starts since June 1. "Chalk it up to a bad start. You just keep working hard and get on to the next start."

Love the enthusiasm, Gavin!!!

"We are halfway through the season, and there's a long way to go," Rios said. "We still have some guys — me included — that are struggling, and when we get them (hitting), we'll have a totally different team. The only thing we can do is to keep playing hard and wait until that happens."

Dunn also struck out twice to raise his season total to 115.

"I feel like me and Alex, we've been as bad as you could possibly be," Dunn said, "and if we're doing half of what we normally do, we're not even talking about this. We talked about it, and we're putting it all on us in the second half basically."

GREAT, because putting all of the pressure on yourself as a hitter really tends to work well!!!

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

The only guys in the lineup performing better than most expected are our two remaining 2005 members. Quentin's at about what people expected, given his health, and the rest are well below. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I find it interesting.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
The only guys in the lineup performing better than most expected are our two remaining 2005 members. Quentin's at about what people expected, given his health, and the rest are well below. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I find it interesting.

You can make an argument that Alexei is at his "natural" home of a 725-775 OPS at shortstop as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 02:41 AM)
You can make an argument that Alexei is at his "natural" home of a 725-775 OPS at shortstop as well.

That's true....forgot about Alexei.

I expected bigger after his pretty good start. Thought he was destined for a huge year. I also thought the same of Floyd. Silly me.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 02:45 AM)
That's true....forgot about Alexei.

I just love it when Alexei steps in the box and leans back into a reclining position with the bat resting on his shoulder and takes the first pitch. He doesn't even pretend to watch it. I think it was in the Sunday loss to the Cubs at Wrigley, he did that with the bases jammed. Then he waved at two consecutive sliders to go down in 3 pitches for the third out. WTF? Sometimes these guys are just stealing money. It's easy to see a difference between a team like the Twins and the Sox and it shows in the Wins / Losses. Twins are serious and here to take care of business and focus on getting the job done. They actually have discipline at the plate and execute. The blame has to be on Sox management. This should not be tolerated and heads must roll.

It was nice to go to a KC Cougars game recently and see players busting their ass and actually trying. This is not to rip on core guys like AJ, MB & JP. It's obvious that Pauly is very concerned and is bothered by the current state of affairs. Some of these other guys are just, well...., Alex Rios.

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 07:12 AM)
I have a hard time believing that no one on this team just goes ballistic in the club house. It's difficult to watch a team that seems so apathetic. Perhaps it's time to bring back the blow-up dolls that made the appearance in Toronto a few years ago? Was at the game with the kids tonight and had to control myself to not scream obscenities. I just don't know if they have the desire to win. On a related side note, they showed Will Ohman's photo and a stat update tonight right before he gave up the three run bomb - Ohman's last hold 4/11 v. the Tampa Bay Rays. Nothing like flashing that up on the scoreboard and having the next pitch sail into the left field seats. This team is hard to like.

Man we always seem to have some guys like Ohman who are as bad as they come.

What's it like being with the kids watching a team as frustrating as the White Sox? Do they still enjoy the game or do they get mad when we ultimately get owned by Minnie again?

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)
He was a disappointment, but he also had 76 XBH's.

Adam Dunn is on pace for 77 hits...total.

Richie Sexson, Troy Glaus, Pat Burrell in his top 5 comps at Baseball Reference. Washouts by 32. Dunn has them beat by a year.

Belle had a bad start, but so did Frank. Albert improved in second half, exercised his option, and Baltimore took him off our hands.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 02:39 AM)

I think it's more than just interesting. I think it's a clue to one of the major problems with this team: we don't have enough players who can perform under pressure - the pressure that comes from playing on a big money big market team with widely stated playoff aspirations.

PK, AJ, MB are all proven winners who've done it here in Chicago.

Dunn has spent his entire MLB career playing on second-division NL teams. Rios played on Toronto, a perennial also-ran behind the Yankees and Red Sox - and I wouldn't exactly call Toronto a rabid baseball town.

Pressure affects all professional sports but especially the high skill sports: baseball and golf. It doesn't take much to interfere with a swing or a pitched ball. It's one thing to hit 40 home runs on a last place NL team playing out the string - it's an entirely different thing to do it on a team in a pennant race. It's one thing to sink a six foot putt with your three buddies during your weekly Saturday morning game - it's an entirely different thing to do it on the 72nd hole of the Masters to take home the green jacket.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
I think it's more than just interesting. I think it's a clue to one of the major problems with this team: we don't have enough players who can perform under pressure - the pressure that comes from playing on a big money big market team with widely stated playoff aspirations.

PK, AJ, MB are all proven winners who've done it here in Chicago.

Dunn has spent his entire MLB career playing on second-division NL teams. Rios played on Toronto, a perennial also-ran behind the Yankees and Red Sox - and I wouldn't exactly call Toronto a rabid baseball town.

Pressure affects all professional sports but especially the high skill sports: baseball and golf. It doesn't take much to interfere with a swing or a pitched ball. It's one thing to hit 40 home runs on a last place NL team playing out the string - it's an entirely different thing to do it on a team in a pennant race. It's one thing to sink a six foot putt with your three buddies during your weekly Saturday morning game - it's an entirely different thing to do it on the 72nd hole of the Masters to take home the green jacket.

I think that's a good point. I never understood it when Kenny started collecting guys from the Royals. Plus I think the owners need to wise up and not let the players union run everything. Or should I say ruin? It's a great set up for players like Rios.