Golfing Thread

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
There are a lot of nice courses in Vegas, aren't there?

There are. This was TPC Summerlin, which will host a PGA tourney event in a few months. They've been growing this obnoxious rough out for the past few months that is really annoying. It's not long like you saw at Valhalla, but it's this thick Bermuda that just swallows your ball.

I took a lesson about three weeks ago that has done wonders for my driving. Still trying to figure out how to make better, more consistent contact with my long and mid-irons, but I'm getting there. Right now I'm about a 7 handicap, but I'm very inconsistent. If I putt well, I can shoot 80 or thereabouts. But if I don't, and I don't drive the ball straight, I can also put up 90.

We are holding our Club Championship the week after the tour event. Should be pretty fun. 3 round tournament, with a gross division for the real players, and a net division. I'm hoping to get my game in order so I can at least challenge par (net), but if we're playing the tour setup, I don't know what to expect.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
I could legit shoot 79 on like 7 holes.

I shot a legit 114 today!!

Played at Schaumburg Golf Club today, I thought it was pretty decent, would definitely play it again. Normal price was $75, got a $40 deal on GolfNow. They have 3 9-hole courses, which is nice cause you can mix it up if you go another time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
One thing that messes with my head though is when I'm walking the course and there are people in carts behind me. I can't stand the notion of holding people up, even if there is a group directly in front of me that I am waiting on. For whatever reason I just cannot concentrate.

This was an issue at my old club. Everyone was pointing to the walkers as holding up play. With a bit of objective evidence it was clearly fivesomes (allowed in the south) playing wolf (a betting game) that were the slowest. It shut up a lot of people.

McIlroy deserves all the accolades he's getting.

As soon as he hit that eagle putt, you just had a feeling he was going to win...even though he was grinding the first half of the afternoon and missing quite a few mid-range putts.

Guess breaking up with his g/f had a positive effect on his golf game...maybe a bit less of a circus when you're not dating a WTA tennis star.

As with Tiger, the question about getting to 18 majors is all about health. Mickelson would have had his 3rd over age 39, the record for most is just 3, I think Snead and Hogan, with Nicklaus getting his Master's title in 1986 at 46 years old. Then Ernie Els was right there in the mix at age 44 as well.

Rory's already only one behind Mickelsen career-wise. A confrontation between Fowler, hopefully a healthy Woods, Bubba Watson going for 3 out of 4, Mickelsen and McIlroy. Stenson and Schwartzl also should factor in.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Yesterday's final round was more entertaining and enjoyable than 90% of Tiger's major victories. It sucks that the media has to keep talking about Tiger while this new generation is making history and creating a much more compelling and memorable viewing experience.

I seriously watched almost every minute of coverage from Friday morning onwards. That was the most fun tournament I can ever recall watching. Unbelievable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Investigating my yips with my irons today, I am fairly convinced its going to come down to finally pulling the trigger on better fitting clubs. I keep digging the toe and its killing me.

Are your irons forged or cast? If they are forged, you may be able to get the lie angle bent a few degrees...Are you having the same problem with both sets of your irons (I remember you saying you had a set of pings fitted when you joined your club?).

I have a lot of problems with hitting the ground first as well. Not really sure if it's actually the toe hitting first or the heel (my guess), or neither. I had my wife take some video of my swing and uploaded it into a program i downloaded called V1 golf. You can watch your swing frame by frame and draw all the lines and what not to see what movement is occurring throughout your swing...it's really cool. I've found that I have a bit of a forward sway going on when I transition from my backswing to my downswing, and I think it's the source of me hitting behind the ball with my irons. So the last few rounds, I've been focusing on taking the club back more slowly, which I think is allowing for a smoother/softer transition to the downswing, which is allowing me to make more consistent contact with the ball.

Thursday I have an appointment for a trackman session. I'll hit all my clubs outside on the range and they should be able to give me data outputs for all sorts of things...swing speed, ball speed, ball spin, launch angle, carry distance, etc. From there, he can tell me where I need to tweak my swing to get the desired ball flight/spin that I want, as well as help me determine the optimal club fitting (shafts/loft/lie angle).

Might not be a bad idea for you to do, Rock.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Yesterday's final round was more entertaining and enjoyable than 90% of Tiger's major victories. It sucks that the media has to keep talking about Tiger while this new generation is making history and creating a much more compelling and memorable viewing experience.

Well, that's human nature. This tourney had the best rating for PGA Championship since, you guessed it, 2009 when YE Yang shockingly took down Tiger.

The Masters is generally around a 7.5 rating, I think the 2009 was 6.8 and this one must have been in the low or mid 6's.

That said, McIlroy isn't an American, and it's like comparing tennis when Roger Federer or Nadal are dominating with the years of McEnroe and Connors, or Sampras and Agassi, the Williams Sisters, etc.

You can appreciate how great McIlroy is, how far he hits the ball (especially the scorcher to the green that preceded the eagle, the only player on that green in 2 Sunday)...but I would imagine 75% of the people tuning in were still rooting for Mickelson or Fowler.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Well, that's human nature. This tourney had the best rating for PGA Championship since, you guessed it, 2009 when YE Yang shockingly took down Tiger.

The Masters is generally around a 7.5 rating, I think the 2009 was 6.8 and this one must have been in the low or mid 6's.

That said, McIlroy isn't an American, and it's like comparing tennis when Roger Federer or Nadal are dominating with the years of McEnroe and Connors, or Sampras and Agassi, the Williams Sisters, etc.

You can appreciate how great McIlroy is, how far he hits the ball (especially the scorcher to the green that preceded the eagle, the only player on that green in 2 Sunday)...but I would imagine 75% of the people tuning in were still rooting for Mickelson or Fowler.

It was interesting...you could see the nationalistic biases coming out in the broadcasting...Baker-Finch was talking up Jason Day every chance he could get. Feherety was cheering on Rory.

The crowd favorites were Mickelson and Fowler, the two Americans.

When Rory was lining up the eagle putt on 10, someone made the comment that the place would be up for grabs if he knocked it in. There were definitely cheers, but it wasn't nearly the house coming down like they thought it would be.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
It was interesting...you could see the nationalistic biases coming out in the broadcasting...Baker-Finch was talking up Jason Day every chance he could get. Feherety was cheering on Rory.

The crowd favorites were Mickelson and Fowler, the two Americans.

When Rory was lining up the eagle putt on 10, someone made the comment that the place would be up for grabs if he knocked it in. There were definitely cheers, but it wasn't nearly the house coming down like they thought it would be.

Jason Day almost completely disappeared from the coverage.

They seemed to really want to force Ernie Els into the story...that was interesting, although he was never legitimately in contention, he did play a pretty darned solid round except for one hiccup.

Stenson, rightly, got a lot of time...but he's about as exciting as Vijay Singh. I'm sure they were happy with the Austrian golfer didn't have to be featured as much as he also disappeared after the turn.

Feherety was on DP this morning and absolutely scoffs at the notion that Tiger is a quitter. Also blames Haney for what has happened to him injury wise and kept reiterating the fact that Tiger shouldn't be on the course and he's purely willing himself to be out there. Says he knows Tiger isn't a quitter and only reason he didn't stop playing on Friday was because he's trying to will through it, potentially play in Davis cup, and is aware of the media bashing him as a "quitter". Feherety called it pure poppycock.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
Are your irons forged or cast? If they are forged, you may be able to get the lie angle bent a few degrees...Are you having the same problem with both sets of your irons (I remember you saying you had a set of pings fitted when you joined your club?).

I have a lot of problems with hitting the ground first as well. Not really sure if it's actually the toe hitting first or the heel (my guess), or neither. I had my wife take some video of my swing and uploaded it into a program i downloaded called V1 golf. You can watch your swing frame by frame and draw all the lines and what not to see what movement is occurring throughout your swing...it's really cool. I've found that I have a bit of a forward sway going on when I transition from my backswing to my downswing, and I think it's the source of me hitting behind the ball with my irons. So the last few rounds, I've been focusing on taking the club back more slowly, which I think is allowing for a smoother/softer transition to the downswing, which is allowing me to make more consistent contact with the ball.

Thursday I have an appointment for a trackman session. I'll hit all my clubs outside on the range and they should be able to give me data outputs for all sorts of things...swing speed, ball speed, ball spin, launch angle, carry distance, etc. From there, he can tell me where I need to tweak my swing to get the desired ball flight/spin that I want, as well as help me determine the optimal club fitting (shafts/loft/lie angle).

Might not be a bad idea for you to do, Rock.

Never pulled the trigger and stuck with my old G10's thinking I could augment my driver and keep playing, but now I'm in the fairway with my drives and blocking and at times shanking my irons to the right. My divots have gotten thinner and my fitted irons were more upright than my current ones. Since mine now are kind of gave improvement sticks and they launch ultra high my pro recommended I go with the fitted i25's at least to see if my launch angle and direction improve a bit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Jason Day almost completely disappeared from the coverage.

They seemed to really want to force Ernie Els into the story...that was interesting, although he was never legitimately in contention, he did play a pretty darned solid round except for one hiccup.

Stenson, rightly, got a lot of time...but he's about as exciting as Vijay Singh. I'm sure they were happy with the Austrian golfer didn't have to be featured as much as he also disappeared after the turn.

Yeah, Day just couldn't trust his grip...he's fighting a hook and was playing tentatively all weekend. He was interviewed prior to Saturday's round and said he thought they had cured it with a more neutral grip adjustment, then went out and proceeded to hook his drive left of the creek on 2....and fought it the rest of the way. Didn't stop Baker-Finch from talking about how many hours he practices his short game or where he would be if he had just made more 10-12 foot putts.

Els had it really going early and they wanted him to post a score that would put pressure on the leaders coming down the stretch. He, just like everyone not named Rory, couldn't keep the momentum going on the back nine though.

Had forgotten about Stenson....Stenson is intriguing because he is very colorful. He has a tendency to hit some very "interesting" shots under pressure, or to break a club over his knee every know and again. Crazy how they mentioned his caddy has a Ferrari....Stenson made $21 million just in golf earnings last year though, so I can see how his caddy drives a Ferrari. :)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)

I disagree. I mean, i'm sure a big portion of them are, but a big and probably bigger portion were people that wanted to see of Rory could win another one. That and you had 4-5 guys within striking distance. And each of them (maybe not Stenson) would have had a great story to go along with it.

I don't think Rory's nationality does anything to the numbers. Golf's stars that can bring a TV audience (basically Tiger and Phil the last decade) just so happen to be the guys with the most majors in that time frame. You need golfers that win big tournaments and win them repeatedly to get that name recognition. You do have some international guys like Vijay and Angel Cabrera and Harrington that won 2-3 majors and never really got "huge" here, but I dunno, Rory's a young dude, looks American, sponsored by Nike, lives here in the states full-time, etc. He'll never reach Tiger's level, but he could easily become the game's biggest star and a huge draw for TV.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
Feherety was on DP this morning and absolutely scoffs at the notion that Tiger is a quitter. Also blames Haney for what has happened to him injury wise and kept reiterating the fact that Tiger shouldn't be on the course and he's purely willing himself to be out there. Says he knows Tiger isn't a quitter and only reason he didn't stop playing on Friday was because he's trying to will through it, potentially play in Davis cup, and is aware of the media bashing him as a "quitter". Feherety called it pure poppycock.

A lot of people have criticized Haney for Tiger's downfall. He gets a lot of criticism for having an "overengineered" swing. He was pretty much on top of his game and decided he needed to leave Butch and make a swing change. Was pretty strange.

Tiger is definitely not a quitter. But he has a massive ego (rightfully so) and an enormous standard to uphold. I think he's having a lot of difficulty accepting his current results and his current place in golf, and he's frankly embarrassed by it.

He should do what he said he needs to do, and that is to get healthy and then get back in the gym and get strong again. Then he needs to play a lot of golf. He should also probably suck up his pride and go back to Butch.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Yeah, Day just couldn't trust his grip...he's fighting a hook and was playing tentatively all weekend. He was interviewed prior to Saturday's round and said he thought they had cured it with a more neutral grip adjustment, then went out and proceeded to hook his drive left of the creek on 2....and fought it the rest of the way. Didn't stop Baker-Finch from talking about how many hours he practices his short game or where he would be if he had just made more 10-12 foot putts.

Els had it really going early and they wanted him to post a score that would put pressure on the leaders coming down the stretch. He, just like everyone not named Rory, couldn't keep the momentum going on the back nine though.

Had forgotten about Stenson....Stenson is intriguing because he is very colorful. He has a tendency to hit some very "interesting" shots under pressure, or to break a club over his knee every know and again. Crazy how they mentioned his caddy has a Ferrari....Stenson made $21 million just in golf earnings last year though, so I can see how his caddy drives a Ferrari. :)

Don't the caddies get about 2.5 or 3% of their total purses? Is it 5%? Something like that.