Golfing Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Feherety was on DP this morning and absolutely scoffs at the notion that Tiger is a quitter. Also blames Haney for what has happened to him injury wise and kept reiterating the fact that Tiger shouldn't be on the course and he's purely willing himself to be out there. Says he knows Tiger isn't a quitter and only reason he didn't stop playing on Friday was because he's trying to will through it, potentially play in Davis cup, and is aware of the media bashing him as a "quitter". Feherety called it pure poppycock.

Ryder...

It will be interesting to see if Tiger withdraws himself, or pushes ahead into Europe and attempts to demonstrate his worthiness as a captain's choice.

Dufner's out...isn't Kuchar hurt?

One of the biggest arguments is that the "old/#1" Tiger was/is still a well below .500 record in Ryder Cup matches. This version, with the back problems, knees...sacrum, hips, etc., it wouldn't be much of a help except for tv ratings/curiosity.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Yeah, Day just couldn't trust his grip...he's fighting a hook and was playing tentatively all weekend. He was interviewed prior to Saturday's round and said he thought they had cured it with a more neutral grip adjustment, then went out and proceeded to hook his drive left of the creek on 2....and fought it the rest of the way. Didn't stop Baker-Finch from talking about how many hours he practices his short game or where he would be if he had just made more 10-12 foot putts.

Els had it really going early and they wanted him to post a score that would put pressure on the leaders coming down the stretch. He, just like everyone not named Rory, couldn't keep the momentum going on the back nine though.

Had forgotten about Stenson....Stenson is intriguing because he is very colorful. He has a tendency to hit some very "interesting" shots under pressure, or to break a club over his knee every know and again. Crazy how they mentioned his caddy has a Ferrari....Stenson made $21 million just in golf earnings last year though, so I can see how his caddy drives a Ferrari. :)

Seems like a pretty interesting guy:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2014-09...-henrik-stenson

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
I think it's as high as 10% sometimes...not sure though.

They all have different deals. Some have a set salary + part of the winnings, some just have a percent of the winnings. The average caddie doesn't make a ton, maybe 6 figures in a good year. Your Fluff's and Steve Williams' probably make a few hundred grand in the good years. Plus i'm sure they get some really nice presents.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
They all have different deals. Some have a set salary + part of the winnings, some just have a percent of the winnings. The average caddie doesn't make a ton, maybe 6 figures in a good year. Your Fluff's and Steve Williams' probably make a few hundred grand in the good years. Plus i'm sure they get some really nice presents.

I'd guess Stevie makes a bit more than that.

Does anybody here have any advice for buying a new set of clubs? Specific clubs to get or avoid? A good place to get them? I just got back into golf this summer, and the only clubs I have are the ones my parents bought for me when I was about 12.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
Does anybody here have any advice for buying a new set of clubs? Specific clubs to get or avoid? A good place to get them? I just got back into golf this summer, and the only clubs I have are the ones my parents bought for me when I was about 12.

Yes. I am assuming you are a relatively high-handicapper if you haven't played since you were 12. You want to get something with a cavity back and perimeter weighting so that the club has a reasonable level of forgiveness on off-center strikes. You probably want to get fitted as well.

My advice would be to spend the $50 or so it costs at a golf store to get fitted (even better if you can find a PGA professional) and then try and find a slightly used set and get them altered so they fit you correctly. Unless you have some crazy specs, in which it might be impossible to buy a used set and get them properly fitted. In that case you would want to just suck it up and order a new set if you are at all serious about playing. But most people have relatively stock specs or it doesn't make a huge difference when you are just getting back into the game. Golf clubs are like cars in that they depreciate massively as soon as you "drive" them off the lot. Check ebay for sure.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)

Dont buy forged irons. I would go into a shop like Shack said and figure out if you need custom fit clubs. If you are standard I would check 2nd swing and ebay for used cavity-back game improvement irons. I prefer Ping, so any G series would do you just fine. I personally hate Callaway clubs, but its all a matter of preference. Go into the local golf galaxy or whereever and just hit every demo driver they have and figure out which one feels best in your hands and through the swing. Then price that one out as used as well. Drivers drop in value from month to month so you can get a real good one for under $100.

Wedges are the most important to me so get another wedge in addition to your standard Sand and Pitching.

That should set you up for the next few years until you have to upgrade.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
That was fast! Enjoy them! :)

Yeah, they had already fitted me so I just called and said order the damn things. We get equipment at cost at the club so it was about the same as a used set. Pretty stoked to head out and play tomorrow to see if I need to tweak the grips etc yet before I really start playing.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
Thanks for the opinions guys. Are there any specific shops to avoid (or go to) as far as looking for clubs or fitting goes? Or, are they all pretty much equally reputable?

Well, pga pros are generally going to have a lot of experience with fitting...but they are not infallible either. Do some research, perhaps on yelp or something...

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
Thanks for the opinions guys. Are there any specific shops to avoid (or go to) as far as looking for clubs or fitting goes? Or, are they all pretty much equally reputable?

Yeah see whats nearest to you and try out a few, its kind of fun. some are free if they think you will buy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
Get to hit these bad boys today, right now they have c-taper shafts for a lower ball flight, I am interested to see where that gets me.

I've got project pxi's that do the same...I actually enjoy it because it gets windy out here, and I naturally hit the ball really high...I don't have much problem stopping the ball on the greens even with the lower ball flight.

Only thing is you may want to play a ball you can spin a little more since your ball flight will be lower (think ProV1 instead of ProV1X).

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
I see Ryan Moore all the time at my course...maybe I'll tell him if he ever needs a pro jock...;)

You probably see a lot of pros in Vegas. Tiger still has a place there.

I caddied on the Nike tour for one tournament. I was constantly scared of screwing somethign up. But at least the pro made the cut and I got a little money for my trouble. Cool way to kill a week during summer break.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
You probably see a lot of pros in Vegas. Tiger still has a place there.

I caddied on the Nike tour for one tournament. I was constantly scared of screwing somethign up. But at least the pro made the cut and I got a little money for my trouble. Cool way to kill a week during summer break.

Yeah, Rickie Fowler used to live on our course...but I mean in terms of regulars...Moore and Inbee Park are both members regulars there.

I caddied when I was about 13-16. It was a great job at that age. Obviously it's a little different when you're caddying for a tour player, but certainly not rocket science. It would be pretty awesome to be on the bag of one of the better players.

Ok, so two golfers...on an average, 6,500 yard course....one golfer shoots about 90 on average, the other golfer is Ernie Els.

Each golfer gets to hit two balls on every shot, including putts.

The 90 golfer gets to play his best ball every time. Ernie Els has to hit his worst ball every time.

Who shoots the better score?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
Ok, so two golfers...on an average, 6,500 yard course....one golfer shoots about 90 on average, the other golfer is Ernie Els.

Each golfer gets to hit two balls on every shot, including putts.

The 90 golfer gets to play his best ball every time. Ernie Els has to hit his worst ball every time.

Who shoots the better score?

I would say Els. A professionals worst shot is going to be better than a 18 handicapper's best shot 95% of the time. They will be much more consistent and accurate. A guy like Els will see very little difference between his two attempts.