Golfing Thread

It's funny. I could go out with you and help fix that, but on myself it takes so muc longer.

Finally got to hit my new irons. At first was too steep just trying to hit the ball on the smaller club face but after I just got into my groove, wow. Much better "feel" than my G10s and the distance will take some getting used to. The ball flight on the short irons is lower but more ideal. This time they gave me a thinner grip and at first I was hesitant but really it made it easier to flip my hands on the longer irons. Loved not having the offset as well. Looks like I'll be keeping these bad boys.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with diagnosing swing flaws of others is that there are usually a multitude of things happening that are causing this ball flight. You've got to be careful because if you start making small adjustments looking for quick fixes, eventually you end up piling them on top of one another and you get so far away from where you should be that eventually you're hitting the ball both right and left, and you have no clue what is happening.

I was driving the ball really well the last few years...that was pretty much the best part of my game, although I wasn't really playing very often. I was basically aiming right and swinging on an outside-to-inside swing path, but squaring the face up enough so that the ball was starting off straight and drawing slightly, despite my aiming well right. This sort of ball flight is basically optimal for distance, and so I was hitting the ball as far off the tee as I ever had.

Fast forward to this year when I began playing much more regularly. I started struggling with big pull draws or even pull hooks. Apparently I was not unable to rationalize aiming as far right as before (because I was playing more regularly and found this concerning), and also starting to close the face as well (which caused the bigger draws and now the hooks). I started making little adjustments that I had read or watched online, then tinkering with my alignment and setup, and before you know it, I'm hitting the ball right sometimes, left sometimes, and I really have no freaking clue where the hell to even aim even more.

Ultimately it took going back to the drawing board with a professional and sorting this out. All it took was one concept to fix and now I'm hitting more fairways than I've probably ever hit. But I had gotten so out of whack by adding one little adjustment after another that eventually I had no clue where the ball was going.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Looks cool, but most golf gps apps let you log every one of your shots. You won't get a fancy overlay like that, but the data is still there if you take the time to put it into your phone.

Yeah, I was actually looking for an app to do that last night...the problem is, I don't think they really provide you with the tools to do any kind of analysis....it looks like this device actually develops tools in-line with the analyses I'd like to perform, which is the reason I went looking for the app in the first place.

I read Broadie's book, Every Shot Counts, which is what a lot of the tools this company is developing is based upon.

Had a trackman session yesterday afternoon.

Learned a few things:

1) my swing speed w/ a driver is 105-106...this is above average but slower in relation to the speed at which I swing my irons

2) swing speed with a 7-iron is 89. This is pretty solid, fairly close to a tour speed swing with an iron.

3) swing path and face angle were generally close to one another, which create a relative straight ball flight. I have a tendency to have a negative face angle (face is closed) which starts the ball off slightly left of target and a swing path that is on line relative to that face angle (which produces the straight ball flight). I do sometimes get a swing path which is too far right, (in relation the face angle), which will result in a hook.

My attack angle is good with my irons, but much too steep with a driver. I have a negative attack angle number -4 or 5 degrees), which causes suboptimal launch angle and spin rates. This is limiting my distance. I hit 1 drive and he says "what would you say if I told you that you could add 30 yards to your drives without changing much?" If I can shallow out my attack angle to reach a positive 4 or 5 degree number, ill get higher launch and less spin, which will result in optimal trajectory and distance.

The keys to doing this are mostly in the setup. Here is a great article on how to accomplish this, by Bruce Patterson of Butler National GC.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Shot a 90 today. Lowest round of 18 in my life so I was pretty happy. But I choked and missed a 4 foot birdie putt on 18, which would have given me an 89. I badly want to break 90.

Sorry to hear about the putt, but great round!

Apparently I used to crouch when I would swing and always had trouble hitting the ball, especially when it mattered and I'd always swing harder of course. Today tried my best to be more upright and was actually able to be near par/bogey on every hole(just walnut greens). Hopefully its the start of me being able to play regular courses without a ridiculously crazy high score.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
Sorry to hear about the putt, but great round!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2014 -> 03:44 AM)
Yeah great job. Rounds like that keep the addiction going

Thanks guys.

You are definitely right. It does keep the addiction going. I would have played again today if I didn't have to catch a flight to LA. But I'm taking my clubs with me so I can play out there this week.

Edited by dasox24

78 today...37 on the front and another back 9 choke...double/bogey coming in on 17/18...the front 9 is the best I've ever struck the ball with my irons...hit 8 of 9 greens...37 with 18 freaking putts! Had a number of 10-15 footers for birdie and just couldn't get one to drop...

Back 9, my iron game deserted me and I was just trying to hold on for dear life...2 putted from 65 feet to save pars and did make one birdie on a par 3...otherwise it was pretty dreadful.

Oh well...improvement...I should be pleased with that.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
78 today...37 on the front and another back 9 choke...double/bogey coming in on 17/18...the front 9 is the best I've ever struck the ball with my irons...hit 8 of 9 greens...37 with 18 freaking putts! Had a number of 10-15 footers for birdie and just couldn't get one to drop...

Back 9, my iron game deserted me and I was just trying to hold on for dear life...2 putted from 65 feet to save pars and did make one birdie on a par 3...otherwise it was pretty dreadful.

Oh well...improvement...I should be pleased with that.

Ouch, that's no fun.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Thanks guys.

You are definitely right. It does keep the addiction going. I would have played again today if I didn't have to catch a flight to LA. But I'm taking my clubs with me so I can play out there this week.

my favorite course in the area...Rustic Canyon A great course with a links style layout, lots of options on your approach shots.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
A bit random, but does anyone have trouble hitting off mats at the driving range compared to actual grass?

I'm guessing you are topping the ball or hitting really thin? It could be not wanting to hit your club into what is basically concrete. I'm glad all the ranges down here are grass.

Played twice in the last 5 days.. It seems when I try not to kill the ball on the drive I don't have as much of a slice but it is still there. When I use my irons I have no slice.. Like a guy said before, it looks like I am aiming at streets, houses, and the other holes lol.

I shot a 108 on a par 70 though. Not that bad.. I missed a lot of putts for par

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
Played twice in the last 5 days.. It seems when I try not to kill the ball on the drive I don't have as much of a slice but it is still there. When I use my irons I have no slice.. Like a guy said before, it looks like I am aiming at streets, houses, and the other holes lol.

You must be an awfully bad putter then...:)

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:15 PM)

We should play sometime, we sound almost like the same golfer (both technique and in scoring), although I have somewhat fixed my wicked slice, and don't aim at houses anymore. Just more of a fade I can work with, and still trying to get better.