Jerry must be so proud

fathom

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Exactly. It didn't.

Oh please.

What if a 15 year old, in the closet gay kid who loves the White Sox heard about this story? Isn't there a chance that Gordon making fun of gays just made it even more clear to this kid that gays are something to make fun of? Of course not to you since using the word gay in a derogatory way doesn't personally affect you in any way. You won't have to go to school and hide who you are because you might get beat up or teased. Gordon didn't say "Getz is gay" because he hoped that if people thought Getz had homosexual relations that people would be excited and happy to hear about that. He wrote that because being gay is something to make fun of and laugh at.

So when you say it doesn't hurt anyone what you're trying to say is it doesn't hurt you.

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
Oh please.

What if a 15 year old, in the closet gay kid who loves the White Sox heard about this story? Isn't there a chance that Gordon making fun of gays just made it even more clear to this kid that gays are something to make fun of? Of course not to you since using the word gay in a derogatory way doesn't personally affect you in any way. You won't have to go to school and hide who you are because you might bet beat up or teased. Gordon didn't say "Getz is gay" because he hoped that if people thought Getz had homosexual relations that people would be excited and happy to hear about that. He wrote that because being gay is something to make fun of and laugh at.

So when you say it doesn't hurt anyone what you're trying to say is it doesn't hurt you.

By this logic every word uttered in public is harmful if heard by the right individual.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
Probably one of the worst arguments you've ever had on this site.

Come on. Even if 1% of the gay population was truly "harmed" by what someone writes in the sand to a friend, that's well within the norm for pretty much anything that people can overhear in everyday language.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
Come on. Even if 1% of the gay population was truly "harmed" by what someone writes in the sand to a friend, that's well within the norm for pretty much anything that people can overhear in everyday language.

At the risk of wading into this cesspool, I will say that this is unacceptable for the same reason that its unacceptable to use racial slurs in the workplace.

It's inappropriate for the workplace. And although this may still be a game, last time I checked, it was still their workplace and usually during a game, that would be considered "on the clock" time. If the only punishment is an invitation to a gay softball game, I fail to see the appropriateness of your outrage.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
At the risk of wading into this cesspool, I will say that this is unacceptable for the same reason that its unacceptable to use racial slurs in the workplace.

It's inappropriate for the workplace. And although this may still be a game, last time I checked, it was still their workplace and usually during a game, that would be considered "on the clock" time. If the only punishment is an invitation to a gay softball game, I fail to see the appropriateness of your outrage.

There was no outrage, and I agree that what he did was unprofessional and wrong and he should have apologized like he did. But I do think it's bulls*** to essentially be held out for ransom from this guy and his group - "prove you're sorry and either give me money or your presence at our event."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
There was no outrage, and I agree that what he did was unprofessional and wrong and he should have apologized like he did. But I do think it's bulls*** to essentially be held out for ransom from this guy and his group - "prove you're sorry and either give me money or your presence at our event."

I would hardly call an invitation and fundraising letter to be a ransom demand.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
Oh please.

What if a 15 year old, in the closet gay kid who loves the White Sox heard about this story? Isn't there a chance that Gordon making fun of gays just made it even more clear to this kid that gays are something to make fun of? Of course not to you since using the word gay in a derogatory way doesn't personally affect you in any way. You won't have to go to school and hide who you are because you might get beat up or teased. Gordon didn't say "Getz is gay" because he hoped that if people thought Getz had homosexual relations that people would be excited and happy to hear about that. He wrote that because being gay is something to make fun of and laugh at.

That is one, great take, great post.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
Thought this was interesting.

Lesbian couple asked to remove offensive shirt at Dollywood.

This seems like a complete 180 from the situation with Beckham.

From first read, I side with the park on this one. They consider that shirt to be offensive to the LGBT community so they asked them to reverse the shirt. I see no problem, it shouldn't matter if they were lesbian or straight.

And in terms of their offense to the statement "It's a family park," well the company is just trying to make sure that nothing offensive is coming in that may upset people. The park didn't say anything to really offend the couple, nor did they say that they didn't consider them a family. They thought that the shirt was inappropriate to wear, because they most likely interpret it or could be interpreted by people at the park as a negative statement on gay marriage.