The official "end of Ozzie soon?" thread

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
And how Harry Caray adn Jimmy Piersal got canned by the Sox
During the celebration after the Sox clinched the division title in 1983, owner Jerry Reinsdorf referred to Harry and Jimmy as "scum." There was obviously no love lost there. Despite this Harry Caray was never fired by the White Sox. Owner John Allyn had wanted to fire him, but Bill Veeck retained Caray after rebuying the team before the 1976 season. When the Reinsdorf group purchased the Sox they made Caray an offer, but he did not care for the concept of Sports Vision and jumped ship to the Cubs so he could take advantage of WGN's superstation. The Cubs promptly put a muzzle on him, and he went from being the controversial lightning rod of an announcer to a "Bud man and a Cubs fan."

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
During the celebration after the Sox clinched the division title in 1983, owner Jerry Reinsdorf referred to Harry and Jimmy as "scum." There was obviously no love lost there. Despite this Harry Caray was never fired by the White Sox. Owner John Allyn had wanted to fire him, but Bill Veeck retained Caray after rebuying the team before the 1976 season. When the Reinsdorf group purchased the Sox they made Caray an offer, but he did not care for the concept of Sports Vision and jumped ship to the Cubs so he could take advantage of WGN's superstation. The Cubs promptly put a muzzle on him, and he went from being the controversial lightning rod of an announcer to a "Bud man and a Cubs fan."

great post. I'm glad some remember what a douche Reinsdorf can be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
And that's also...sort of his job. If he did the kind of things that would take for this type of Sox Fan to not get on him, he'd get fired quicker than Stone got canned on the North Side.

And I don't think he's 'condescending.'

It's not like he goes on there and acts all high and mighty. I think he presents both sides while, of course, sticking to his stance as it being the right one.

I heard a long dissertation on Pierre during a rain delay with the beat writer and it presented both sides.

I think he's right about Dunn to a certain extent. You do have to pretend he's the old Dunn to a certain extent, though I would like to get his take on at least dropping Dunn to seventh in the order.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
And I don't think he's 'condescending.'

It's not like he goes on there and acts all high and mighty. I think he presents both sides while, of course, sticking to his stance as it being the right one.

I heard a long dissertation on Pierre during a rain delay with the beat writer and it presented both sides.

I think he's right about Dunn to a certain extent. You do have to pretend he's the old Dunn to a certain extent, though I would like to get his take on at least dropping Dunn to seventh in the order.

What Rongey are you reading on here?

I think we'd know by now if there was an announcement to be made on Oz or KW on Wednesday.

I cannot believe they are not calling up Dayan.

We'd know that by now as well probably. What a joke.

If we don't bring up Viciedo now, with our offense, I truly don't care if we lose, lose, lose.

It shows me KW isn't even trying. Cause if it is Oz against bringing up Viciedo, KW should at least convince him to bring him up.

It's a no brainer.

Our team is as listless as the AL in tonight's all star game.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
I think we'd know by now if there was an announcement to be made on Oz or KW on Wednesday.

If we don't bring up Viciedo now, with our offense, I truly don't care if we lose, lose, lose.

It shows me KW isn't even trying. Cause if it is Oz against bringing up Viciedo, KW should at least convince him to bring him up.

It's a no brainer.

Still holding out hope I'll wake up tomorrow with some good news since they have Wed & Thurs off...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)

It's a no brainer.

Things tend to go down after the All-Star game, in fact the Mets and Brewers just made a trade. If anything goes down we'll know tonight or tomorrow.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 12:00 AM)
Things tend to go down after the All-Star game, in fact the Mets and Brewers just made a trade. If anything goes down we'll know tonight or tomorrow.

The fact that KW is replying "Not yet" on calls for his players should tell us all we need to know.

He's not in an adding-players position unless the team makes a serious run, he's not likely to shake up the staff just yet, but if the team can't pull it together right now, then he's going to have to sell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
The fact that KW is replying "Not yet" on calls for his players should tell us all we need to know.

He's not in an adding-players position unless the team makes a serious run, he's not likely to shake up the staff just yet, but if the team can't pull it together right now, then he's going to have to sell.

He's not adding anything unless he subtracts first. Attendance has been dismal and we have a record payroll. There is no money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
He's not adding anything unless he subtracts first. Attendance has been dismal and we have a record payroll. There is no money.

I bet you that if they snapped off an 8 game winning streak out of the break he'd immediately shift into buyer mode.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
Why fix what's obviously broken?

Yeah, you're right.

I think what the Sox really need to do is acquire a hitter who tries to pull and lift every ball for a homerun. That's what this lineup is missing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
I bet you that if they snapped off an 8 game winning streak out of the break he'd immediately shift into buyer mode.

That is my thought on the matter also. Winning always makes things look or seem better. You only hope that after the 8 game winning streak and the addition of someone to the team that they can keep up the winning. It has been a struggle this season and I think our longest winning streak is 4 games

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
I think I don't want to watch any more bad baseball for a long-long time. I think that Twins series was the back breaker.

If they don't bring up Viciedo, I agree with you.

WE ALL know what's coming this weekend in Detroit. What are they afraid of in bringing him up? Pierre knows the drill. We need the other guy's pop.

You just know what KW is thinking. "I put together a good lineup here with Dunn. We're still getting good to great pitching. We can win this thing if I just stay calm and realize Dunn and Rios are very very good hitters and will turn it around and we'll be fine."

Fine, Kenny. Stick with the overpaid Dunn n Rios, but at least give us something to dream about in the added pop of Viciedo.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
If they don't bring up Viciedo, I agree with you.

WE ALL know what's coming this weekend in Detroit. What are they afraid of in bringing him up? Pierre knows the drill. We need the other guy's pop.

You just know what KW is thinking. "I put together a good lineup here with Dunn. We're still getting good to great pitching. We can win this thing if I just stay calm and realize Dunn and Rios are very very good hitters and will turn it around and we'll be fine."

Fine, Kenny. Stick with the overpaid Dunn n Rios, but at least give us something to dream about in the added pop of Viciedo.

Really, I don't think that's what KW's thinking at all.

I'd guess he's thinking "Rios and Dunn are flat out unmovable. I have to get something out of them, there's no benefit to me to benching them, either this season or long term. This team is borderline ready to be dismantled, and I've got 2 more weeks to the deadline. Let it play out as-is, and if things don't snap back immediately, I'm going to have to be a seller."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
Really, I don't think that's what KW's thinking at all.

I'd guess he's thinking "Rios and Dunn are flat out unmovable. I have to get something out of them, there's no benefit to me to benching them, either this season or long term. This team is borderline ready to be dismantled, and I've got 2 more weeks to the deadline. Let it play out as-is, and if things don't snap back immediately, I'm going to have to be a seller."

Whether we're in it or not, we're a stronger team with Viciedo in the starting lineup everyday. Between LF, RF, and DH, he should be able to start 5 - 6 games a week. There is no logical reason whatsoever to not bring him up now that it won't cost us a service year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Whether we're in it or not, we're a stronger team with Viciedo in the starting lineup everyday. Between LF, RF, and DH, he should be able to start 5 - 6 games a week. There is no logical reason whatsoever to not bring him up now that it won't cost us a service year.

Exactly. It's bad enough that we're doing nothing to shake up mgmt, apparently, but to do NOTHING with the roster as well is intolerable.

Make F***** ROOM!!! Anyone of these will do:

DL or send down Morel or Teahen or Lillibridge or Rios or Vizquel or Pierre. One of them, or another player, will likely be sent elsewhere closer to deadline time, so we should only have to do this once.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen