7/9 Games

danman31

Tyler homers for Charlotte, he is having a decent July:

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

Totals .286 35 5 10 2 0 3 7 4 19 0 0 .390 .600 .990

K´s/BB´s ratio still uneven but all in all very prductive.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Tyler homers for Charlotte, he is having a decent July:

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

Totals .286 35 5 10 2 0 3 7 4 19 0 0 .390 .600 .990

K´s/BB´s ratio still uneven but all in all very prductive.

And Lucy just came into the game for him. Welcome to the bigs again kid.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Dan, has Flowers been to the show already? If so how much service time does he have?

September call-ups the last 2 years. 3/16 with 3 BB and 8 K in 09. 1/11 with 4 BB and 5 K last year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
September call-ups the last 2 years. 3/16 with 3 BB and 8 K in 09. 1/11 with 4 BB and 5 K last year.

Cups o' coffee. This will be a better look that I'm rather looking forward to.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
Cups o' coffee. This will be a better look that I'm rather looking forward to.

Do you expect him to get more than 6 PA per week? I'm not so sure. It was Castro that got hurt after all.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Do you expect him to get more than 6 PA per week? I'm not so sure. It was Castro that got hurt after all.

Yeah, I guess AJ will play even more, but if they don't play TF hardly ever, it'll be pretty obvious he's not the long term plan A. I'm guessing he isn't plan A and KW would love to trade him.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Yeah, I guess AJ will play even more, but if they don't play TF hardly ever, it'll be pretty obvious he's not the long term plan A. I'm guessing he isn't plan A and KW would love to trade him.

At this point, the Sox would be idiotic to have Tyler as the long-term plan. If Tyler was the long-term plan AJ wouldn't have been resigned. Tyler is still an option, but there's no way the Sox are expecting him to hold down the catcher slot for years to come.

This would bite as he is having an ok year and what I would term as starting to turn it around. The other co-incidence is that DV is out of the lineup but that must be to do with his All Star appearance.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
This would bite as he is having an ok year and what I would term as starting to turn it around. The other co-incidence is that DV is out of the lineup but that must be to do with his All Star appearance.

Frankly, I don't see all the recent optimism around Flowers. He's hitting .255 with 84 K in 220 AB in AAA. Yeah, he walks and has power, but that contact rate should put him barely above Adam Dunn's territory right now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Frankly, I don't see all the recent optimism around Flowers. He's hitting .255 with 84 K in 220 AB in AAA. Yeah, he walks and has power, but that contact rate should put him barely above Adam Dunn's territory right now.

I'm totally with you. I don't expect him to succeed. More wishing for a pleasant surprise/showcase for trade.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)

He has an OPS around .890 in AAA at a position that currently has miserable hitting depth league-wide. What's average production this year in the MLB at that position? .700 OPS?

Yes, he still strikes out far too often, and it is a legitimate question just how far his production will far off unless he cuts down on those strikeouts at least a bit (and whether he could even keep up this level of production at AAA). But the good news: he is playing catcher. Being a successful hitting catcher is a pretty low threshold.

Not saying they should pencil him in as the future starter. But I am definitely interested to see how he can do going forward, both at the AAA and the major league levels.

Also, while strikeouts are a part of Dunn's problems, by far the bigger issue is his lack of power: .164 ISO, infield fly % that has shot up, HR/FB rate that is half his career rate all point toward weak hitting even when he makes contact (as everyone can tell just by watching him). Not trying to start a debate about Dunn, but the point is: Flowers can strike out 35% of the time and still hit a lot better than Dunn this year. Like I said, skepticism is warranted, but so, I think, is optimism (or at least interest) given his solid production this year and the production by catchers in general in the majors.

Edited by asmithxc

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Just an FYI, but someone on here recently stated that the exact plan was for Flowers to be the back-up catcher next year, so this is a good audition for him.

I believe it was docsox. (and if it was, he has some of the best sources around)

BTW, Shoemaker continues his torrid pace.