KW Dangling Dunn

SoxFan1

LOL

Despite reports Wednesday that the Phillies are turning their attention to Carlos Quentin in the wake of their lack of progress on the Pence front, executives of three teams told the Daily Rumble they've seen no evidence the White Sox have serious interest in trading Quentin, now that they've pulled to within 3.5 games of first place. One name we were told they did dangle, just to see what happened: Adam Dunn.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumbli...potential-deals

LOL...hey guys, here is a guy who hits .160, can NOT hit left handers at all, nor can he play any field positions. But none of that is a problem, because he is making more money than most third world nations.

Line up now...give me your best offer...

Kenny is really starting to look foolish. He obtains a bunch of aging, overrated, overpaid, and generally useless hacks and then tries to pawn them off on someone else.

Good luck moving this guy KW. Maybe someone would take him if you promised to never call them again with another boneheaded offer.

Oh, unless your asking FOR a player like Dunn for a couple nice pitching prospects, then it's ok to call.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
LOL...hey guys, here is a guy who hits .160, can NOT hit left handers at all, nor can he play any field positions. But none of that is a problem, because he is making more money than most third world nations.

Line up now...give me your best offer...

Kenny is really starting to look foolish. He obtains a bunch of aging, overrated, overpaid, and generally useless hacks and then tries to pawn them off on someone else.

Good luck moving this guy KW. Maybe someone would take him if you promised to never call them again with another boneheaded offer.

Oh, unless your asking FOR a player like Dunn for a couple nice pitching prospects, then it's ok to call.

So you believe Dunn, after 8+ years of steady production and at the age of 31 will never hit again?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
So you believe Dunn, after 8+ years of steady production and at the age of 31 will never hit again?

Then why is Kenny trying to move him? If Kenny THINKS he will actually become productive hitter again then why dangled him when his value is at the most absurdly low?

This isn't about what I think...it's what the hell is Williams doing. He goes all out to get Dunn...tried to trade for him last year, finally bags him as a f-agent then watches Dunn look like a complete waste for four months of baseball and then gets the grand idea to DANGLE HIM....

I've seen more clever shenanigans in a hack fantasy league.

Dunn will hit again there is no doubt. Putting him back in the NL might not be all bad for him or the Sox. If he stays here that's fine with me, but I sure wouldn't gripe about a trade back to the NL for something in return. Maybe just salary dump

I'd be ok doing it. Probably would be willing to eat 10-25% of his contract to do it. Or depending on what you get back, taking some other sort of contract back that could be serviceable.

If the Sox could hit the undo on him and Rios that would be exceptional and would theoritically provide the Sox with a ton of payroll flexibility. Of course the downside is, I'm pretty sure next years payroll will not be anything close to our current year payroll so some of that savings will not be reinvested.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
Then why is Kenny trying to move him? If Kenny THINKS he will actually become productive hitter again then why dangled him when his value is at the most absurdly low?

This isn't about what I think...it's what the hell is Williams doing. He goes all out to get Dunn...tried to trade for him last year, finally bags him as a f-agent then watches Dunn look like a complete waste for four months of baseball and then gets the grand idea to DANGLE HIM....

KW "dangles" every play on his roster every single day and why not?

Who do you think he has not talked about trading?

He would be a fool to not try and see what it would take to move Dunn. Same with Santos, Sale, Konerko, Ramirez, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Why wouldn't he? The worst that happens is that no one wants him and nothing changes.

I agree. The problem is that I doubt any team would view Dunn as a tool to help them win this year. I do believe he will hit again, hopefully as soon tomorrow (realistically, I'll take next season), and maybe a team will want to take that chance. The Sox would probably not get much back and would probably have to send some cash.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)

Difference between dangle & dump salary. If the rumor was "KW tries to get any team to take Dunn's contract" I'd be worried. I think you're reading way too much into that. He can't truly "rebuild" with all of those contracts so I imagine he has to at least see what he can get.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
Difference between dangle & dump salary. If the rumor was "KW tries to get any team to take Dunn's contract" I'd be worried. I think you're reading way too much into that. He can't truly "rebuild" with all of those contracts so I imagine he has to at least see what he can get.

I'm fine with that, but is that what we're looking at here? A full scale rebuild? When has KW ever done that?

I for one doubt that's what is going on...it looks to me like KW has buyers remorse. He bought a car and it never starts so he wants to return it, but the dealership has cashed the check and closed the doors.

Rios is the one we need to dump. Even before Dunn. Much as Dunn has sucked, I do believe he actually CARES.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
I'm fine with that, but is that what we're looking at here? A full scale rebuild? When has KW ever done that?

I for one doubt that's what is going on...it looks to me like KW has buyers remorse. He bought a car and it never starts, but the dealership has cashed the check and closed the doors.

He has to know what he's working with. If he has to do a full out rebuild, it makes no sense to have Dunn's contract and thus would have to trade it along with dumping anyone else not named Konerko or Buehrle. If he does a "re-tooling" he can keep it and wait for Dunn to remember how to hit again. I don't see the issue really.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
He has to know what he's working with. If he has to do a full out rebuild, it makes no sense to have Dunn's contract and thus would have to trade it along with dumping anyone else not named Konerko or Buehrle. If he does a "re-tooling" he can keep it and wait for Dunn to remember how to hit again. I don't see the issue really.

The issue is (much as I hate to say it) the fact the Sox are only 3.5 games out of first place. So 'retooling' makes sense...get rid of some garbage (Rios), move a piece for enhanced organization depth/talent (TCQ), KEEP the starting pitchers and go for it still.

I think in a 'retool' Dunn does NOT get moved. A retool and 'go for it' this year means we wait on Dunn and hope he can provide help in the last two months. Dunn is just not movable. No one is ready to replace him, unless we were to keep Quentin then DV could capably hit 160 for the final 2 months.

Dunn has to go if we go rebuild mode and I don't see a White Flag 2 happening. Not with Williams in town.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
Dunn will hit again there is no doubt. Putting him back in the NL might not be all bad for him or the Sox. If he stays here that's fine with me, but I sure wouldn't gripe about a trade back to the NL for something in return. Maybe just salary dump

Dale Murphy says hello. There has got to be serious concerns about his bat speed/power decrease.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
I'm always amazed at how many people on this site are friends with actual MLB players.

hey, I had lunch with that guy 2 years ago! great stories about Joe West. (reason: he's old friends with my boss, who brought me along)

Edited by The Ginger Kid