Tigers Looking for SP

hi8is

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
At least this week, we can sacrifice Peavy to Sabathia.

Which means that Peavy will ratchet it up to 95-96, throw a shutout and at least SOME will be back on his bandwagon.

Honestly, I like those kind of matchups for Peavy...I was happy when he was going against Verlander. He has the potential to throw up a bunch of zeroes, if Ozzie could just grow the sack to pull him when he needs to be. Let him throw 5 good innings once, build some confidence, and then bring in the pen. The way that Floyd, Danks and Mark have been pitching, we can certainly afford to use the pen for 4 innings when Peavy starts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
Honestly, I like those kind of matchups for Peavy...I was happy when he was going against Verlander. He has the potential to throw up a bunch of zeroes, if Ozzie could just grow the sack to pull him when he needs to be. Let him throw 5 good innings once, build some confidence, and then bring in the pen. The way that Floyd, Danks and Mark have been pitching, we can certainly afford to use the pen for 4 innings when Peavy starts.

Especially now that we have a 7 man pen and a LHP who keeps going 2-3 innings and destroying everyone.

Hyperbole, Balta?

LOL.

Things are much better around here when J4L can make death threats (I know, like saying "bomb, bomb, bomb" if you're Ben Stiller) against Red Sox Nation and nary a debate broke forth. And no punk trolls from Sons of Sam Horn arrived to gang rape him with online bullying.

Guess everyone's more concerned about our "debt crisis" than gay slurs or racial epithets these days.

Good to see we're all back to White Sox baseball talk.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
Hyperbole, Balta?

Where's the hyperbole there?

We have a 7 man pen.

One of those guys is a LHP, former starter, who has had 4 outings in the last 10 days, 2 of which were 2.2 or 3 innings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
Where's the hyperbole there?

We have a 7 man pen.

One of those guys is a LHP, former starter, who has had 4 outings in the last 10 days, 2 of which were 2.2 or 3 innings.

I was just referring to the "destroying everyone" part of your post.

Carry on.

Never mind.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Tigers get Fister. He's a pretty good get for them.

Yawn. Hes getting very lucky and has probably faced the vaunted athletics and angels lineups a few times. Fister and betemit are mediocre players who probably won't help much. Detroit still has a pedestrian rotation and a terrible pen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Except Betemit already got a key hit to win a game against us this week.

Inge is there, we probably sweep the Tigers and are possibly tied with them or 1 game back today.

Im shaking in my boots over a 1 WAR player who can't field to save his life.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
Yawn. Hes getting very lucky and has probably faced the vaunted athletics and angels lineups a few times. Fister and betemit are mediocre players who probably won't help much. Detroit still has a pedestrian rotation and a terrible pen.

He's getting very lucky? I should have just stopped reading right there. How the hell does a player with a close to 3 era in a full year of starts GET LUCKY...oh you mean because he's 3-12 playing for the craptastic Mariners. Yea, he's lucky to have that many wins. Hell, looks to be like the dude is UNLUCKY.

In ONLY 3 starts this year has he not gone 6 innings. His record blows, but he has a sparkling ERA. Yea playing in the AL West is really easy, not anything like playing in that brutal AL Central.

For a back of the end rotation guy this was a good move for Detroit...Kuroda didn't want to goto Detroit and they don't have the piece to get Ubaldo. Fister isn't the next Tom Seaver I agree, but the Tiggers needed to do something to beef up the back end of that rotation...no one else is available for them.

Edited by kwolf68

Sigh, let me walk you through this so you can try to understand.

Fister has a k/9 rate of 5.5 and has less hits than ip. A ton of the balls that are being put in play off of him are turning into outs. His xfip, which controls for park adjustments (safeco) and his abnormal babip, is 4. His era should be a lot higher than it already is. Fister produces a lot of ground balls and he is going to be penalized heavily considering he'll have a human sieve playing behind him at 3b.

So please, dont look at his era and wins and losses and insinuate that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Fister is a lucky pitcher who is mediocre. He'll have a negligible impact for the tigers. Anyone with half a brain knows this is not an impact move.

Tribe scratched Alex White & Drew Pomeranz from their starts.

Now, MLBTR is reporting the deal is done, & Ubaldo's going to Cleveland for White, Pomeranz & another player (may or may not be Kipnis) .

Quite a haul for Colorado.

Edited by CSF