5 worst MLB markets

southsider2k5

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESS...&nopaging=1

The Yankees play host to Tampa Bay starting tonight - here's my column on Mariano Rivera from yesterday - while the Mets open a series in Arizona, a coincidence clearly designed by MLB as "New York's tribute to the 1998 expansion teams."

No? No good? As Larry asked Cheryl in this episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" ?

Those two clubs have something else in common, however: They both make our Friday Five list of worst baseball markets. The toughest places to build a successful franchise. Which is fitting, as many of the franchises occupying these markets have been quite well-run yet haven't permeated their areas in a significant enough way. At least, not yet.

To make it clear, I am not faulting these markets, at least not in my mind, as much as simply analyzing them. My policy is to never, ever criticize people for not spending their money to watch baseball games. Or for anything regarding how they use their funds.

Without further ado...

1. Tampa Bay . Maybe the Rays would have a fighting chance if their stadium stood in Tampa, rather than in St. Petersburg. At Tropicana Field, however, the Rays don't seem to have a chance no matter how impressively they put together a ballclub on pennies relative to the Yankees' and Red Sox's dollars.

You have to appreciate, for those who don't know the area - Sandy step in here - just how inconveniently The Trop is located. Imagine if, say, Citi Field were located in Great Neck, and you had to get through all of that traffic to get there coming from the west. But then in Great Neck and east, there simply wasn't a population with disposable income.

I'm not sure it would work even if the Rays moved to Tampa, and given Florida's economy, there sure isn't any excitement about spending public dollars on a new facility. So the Rays operate in limbo, a great baseball team falling in the forest with only 19,327 people per night there to see it.

2. Arizona . The All-Star Game was a success this year, and the fans there were surprisingly rowdy, booing everyone in the American League as well as the players on the Diamondbacks' neighbors in the National League West.

So what's the problem? It's the heat, even if it's a dry heat . Too many Phoenix residents skip town for the summer to escape that heat, so it's hard to fill the seats and, viscerally, it's hard for Diamondbacks baseball to really become a way of life. Perhaps consistent October appearances can alter this, but it certainly makes it far more challenging.

3. Oakland . Remember how Shea Stadium was a hellhole, but Mets fans expressed their love for it: "It may be a hellhole, but it's our hellhole!"? That kind of thing?

I don't get that same sense with Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. I wasn't there prior to their renovations for the Raiders' return in 1995, but it seems like those renovations really ruined the baseball vibe by closing up the place.

what a shame that there seems like such a viable place for the A's to move, San Jose, but the Giants own the territorial rights. If Bud Selig really intends to retire after next season, and I and everyone else remain skeptical on that front, then he should try to solve this pickle and not hand it off to his successor.

4. Miami . Maybe it's a weather thing here, too, and maybe it's that so many residents are transplants and therefore root for the visiting clubs. Maybe the new ballpark, opening next year, will help.

Maybe, in this instant, the fan base feels burned by the continual building up and tearing down of the franchise.

But whatever it is, the Marlins don't draw - their average of 18,174 fans per game is last in all of baseball - and they don't generate any passion, despite their two World Series titles in their first 18 years.

So in other words, of MLB's last four expansion clubs, only one - Colorado - has been a success.

5. Washington . Like with the Marlins, the team itself deserves some blame here. We've yet to see what could happen if the Nationals actually put up a winning record. And the place certainlyh did rock when Stephen Strasburg pitched, and Strasburg is on his way back.

For now, though, D.C., which loves its football, makes this list. From my anecdotal evidence, there doesn't seem to be much excitement surrounding the Nats. I welcome our Washington resident JE, who goes to many Nationals games, to present his rebuttal.

--Have a great day.

I think the Nats will be fine once they peel themselves from the bottom. I want TB to thrive, and my family has a summer (winter?) place down in Seminole, so that may be for selfish reasons, but the Trop is a pretty hideous place for baseball. I was pretty excited when they came up with this concept art:

0514stadium425.jpg

new_stadium.jpg

I just get the feeling that nothing will ever come of it until the FL economy picks it up (and if the team is still around).

Kansas City and Pittsburgh would support their teams well if they actually were .500 or above and providing some hope for the future.

San Diego at least has that beautiful stadium and lots of money in SoCal.

Houston's future looks very bleak but their attendance is still well ahead of ours....they have traditionally supported their teams and had pretty big payrolls under McLane. We'll see with Crane.

Baltimore could easily have made this list.

Toronto too, despite J4L's pleas.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
Kansas City and Pittsburgh would support their teams well if they actually were .500 or above and providing some hope for the future.

Houston's future looks very bleak but their attendance is still well ahead of ours....they have traditionally supported their teams and had pretty big payrolls under McLane. We'll see with Crane.

Baltimore had great numbers when they had good teams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
But that was when the stadium was still fairly new and unique and they had Ripken as their top marketing draw.

The Orioles starting drawing a million fans a year in the 50's. The vast majority of their history they have been in the upper half of attendance.

2. Arizona . The All-Star Game was a success this year, and the fans there were surprisingly rowdy, booing everyone in the American League as well as the players on the Diamondbacks' neighbors in the National League West.

So what's the problem? It's the heat, even if it's a dry heat . Too many Phoenix residents skip town for the summer to escape that heat, so it's hard to fill the seats and, viscerally, it's hard for Diamondbacks baseball to really become a way of life. Perhaps consistent October appearances can alter this, but it certainly makes it far more challenging.

It's not people skip town...they make it sound like everybody deserts the place in the summer (which I would love to!). I agree about the heat being a factor...but moreso for the fact the who the hell wants to go back out in it after getting home? Plus...people have to pick and choose where to spend their dollar. They have pretty much every professional venue here...as well as ASU and only so much money people can spend. To me...and probably the biggest thing is this is still a transient city. Everybody here is from somewhere else...the locals/natives my be diehards...but there's really not too many of them. And as with the other sports...people still have their loyalties to the teams from where they came from...it's that simple. Seems to me that's the biggest fact overlooked. I'd venture to say the team out here with the most loyal supporters are the Suns. But even then you go to the game and people just go there to be seen. The Cards tho have developed a great following...thanks to Warner and the Super Bowl appearance. But still...NFL rules the sports world IMO. The DBacks...just win and the fair weather fans will come out. I actually don't mind them anymore. Love their coaching staff and what they've brought to the table.

But again...the biggest issue is being a transient city IMO.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
I think the Nats will be fine once they peel themselves from the bottom. I want TB to thrive, and my family has a summer (winter?) place down in Seminole, so that may be for selfish reasons, but the Trop is a pretty hideous place for baseball. I was pretty excited when they came up with this concept art:

0514stadium425.jpg

new_stadium.jpg

I just get the feeling that nothing will ever come of it until the FL economy picks it up (and if the team is still around).

Kind of a cool concept there, using birdair fabric for a roof instead of steel... except with that peak there, the rain would just come in with the wind anyway, so I'm not sure it is practical.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)

With the exception of the Dolphins, almost all professional teams in Florida have to watch every penny. Very well written post, I really think the Marlins new ballpark will help them get things turned around, even though 2 world series titles in 17 years is impressive by all means. When was the last time the Cubs won a World Series?