3.5 Games Out

hi8is

I can't believe that we're only at .500 and 3.5 games back.

20110816-gik7w7fe924niqbj59exbit3i4.jpg

This next game here is gonna be an important one...

With Detroit throwing Verlander out there - we need to take down Ubaldo and Cleveland in order to keep the pace with the Tigers.

Should be a fun game to watch.

Edit: The Indians and Tigers have nine games against each other remaining... that, is not good.

Edited by hi8is

If they beat each other up (let's say the Indians go 5-4 or 6-3 even), how would that be bad for the White Sox?

It would just mean we need to take care of our own business against the Tigers and Indians when we play them head-to-head.

Of course, if the Tigers go on a huge run against them for the remainder of the season, it significantly dimininshes our opportunities to pick up ground.

Are 6 of those in DET or CLE? If they're in CLE (which I'd doubt, since their most recent series was there), it's really good for us. Otherwise, advantage Tigers.

More from an intangible momentum and "attitude" stand point than anything else, this Cleveland series is big; another chance to finally rise above the elusive .500 barrier and at the same time gain ground on the team directly ahead of them.

This team's problem seems mostly between its collective ears, so it will be interesting to see how it responds. Frankly, I'd rather have any starter other than Gavin going in the first game at home, but he's due for a good turn. I hope he nuts up.

Doesn't seem like any team in the top 3 of the division will be "put down for good" until the final week of the season.

Just glad that KW didn't do something silly like claim D. Young and end up paying him the same as Quentin for 2012 and then trade Carlos. No way you could have Young and Viciedo in the same outfield together.

We have the toughest remaining schedule of the three, detroit the easiest...but Detroit is as good a finisher as we are at beating the twins in critical games so I like our chances. How about Verlander getting beat and Ubaldo getting beat on the same night and we go to be 2.5 back, 2 in the loss column on both DET/CLE!!

With how good the Indians have been at home this season, you take your chances that the home/road splits at some point return (regress) to mean. With the way we're struggling with RISP (STILL), you'd expect at least a couple of walkoff wins at Progressive Field. (Of course, we've said the same thing about Adam Dunn. Happened with Uggla, but not our player, of course).

If you take away the six in a row we recently lost at home against Boston and the Yankees, it's not SO BAD.

But sure, we should be 10-12 games over at least (at home). Not Brewers good, but c'mon, this is unexplainable.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
With how good the Indians have been at home this season, you take your chances that the home/road splits at some point return (regress) to mean. With the way we're struggling with RISP (STILL), you'd expect at least a couple of walkoff wins at Progressive Field. (Of course, we've said the same thing about Adam Dunn. Happened with Uggla, but not our player, of course).

If you take away the six in a row we recently lost at home against Boston and the Yankees, it's not SO BAD.

But sure, we should be 10-12 games over at least (at home). Not Brewers good, but c'mon, this is unexplainable.

Don't they already have like 10 walkoff wins this season?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
It would be really nice to put the Indians down for good in 2011. It would also be nice to get over .500 finally. This season has been like Chinese water torture at times.

Cleveland would be, what, 5 games out at most after this series? If the Sox have been "in it" up to this point, that won't put the Indians down.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
28-14, including 4-2 vs the Tigers and 7-4 vs the Indians.

Sox do that, playoffs. If not, going to need a lot of help.

Since June 14th, the Tigers are 27-27.

Since May 4th, the Indians are 9 games below .500.

Since May 6th, the White Sox are 11 games over .500

Yes, both the Tribe and Tigs have some easy teams on the schedule.

This is the same Tribe team that just split 8 games with Baltimore and Minnesota, and lost two of three at home to KC (sound familiar)?

This is the same Tigs team that suddenly has problems winning series against the Sox, and also doesn't have a winning streak longer than three games.

Given all that, I seriously don't get why people think the division winner is going to have any more than 85-86 wins this year, tops.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
87 or even 86 MIGHT get a team in a game 163, but it could go the other way where even 89 or 90 is necessary.

So which team, the recently .500ish Tigers or the recently .450ish Indians is going to go on a .550ish tear to win those 89 or 90 games?

I just don't see it. 87 wins at most wins this division.

Yesterday, I was thinking 27-15 would be needed for the Sox. Now that AJ is out is that possible ?

Hmmm. Well, if they win only 1 of 3 against Cleveland now then they must go 26-13.

I don't see how that's possible unless their offense is better than it has been all year.

This is a crucial series where there is a big difference between 2-1 and 1-2.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Let's win some games and move ahead of .500

Yes. Let's win TODAY, and get over .500 for the first time since... before our game on April 16th when we were 7-6.

Four maddening months.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
So which team, the recently .500ish Tigers or the recently .450ish Indians is going to go on a .550ish tear to win those 89 or 90 games?

I just don't see it. 87 wins at most wins this division.

83 wins is realistic for this division. When I was watching the Tigers play the Indians, the Detroit announcers were talking about how the team isn't even playing .500 in the division.

If the Sox don't win this divsion, I'd rather see the Indians do it.