New car shopping

Iwritecode

My odometer is going to roll over to 200,000 sometime this week so I figure we are going to be in the market for a new car before too long. Probably in about 4-6 months. Longer if the car continues to hold up, sooner if something catastrophic happens.

We have spent the last 2 weekends researching and information gathering, including going to a few dealerships to test drive a few cars. I need something with 4 doors, gets at least 35 MPG on the highway and is going to hold it's value to 200,000+ miles. New or used doesn't matter to me but I want something with less than 10K miles on it.

I rack up somewhere around 50,000 miles/year, mostly highway.

Right now at the top of my list is the Hyundai Sonata with its 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. I've read that people are getting 38+ MPG out of it too.

I also like the Ford Focus and my wife like the Honda Civic or Honda Accord.

I test drove a Chevy Cruze but it felt really small to me. I'm so disappointed because I've owned nothing but GM products my whole life.

We looked at Toyota's Camry and Corolla but the salesman didn't seem real interested so I didn't get to drive either one.

They are all right around $20K give or take a few thousand depending on the trim level and options. Everyone but Hyundai has a 6 year/60,000 mile warranty. So it's just a matter of figuring out which we like the best, paying off a few bills and saving a little bit of money.

I've heard Dodge is supposed to be coming out with something new that gets 40 MPG in January and Chevy has the Sonic coming out in a few weeks.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for longevity - the civic would probably be the choice. I'm just not a big fan of the "spaceship" interior of the current models.

If you're looking for cheaper up front - the hyundai sonata (or elantra if you can handle the size) would be the best bet.

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
If you're looking for longevity - the civic would probably be the choice. I'm just not a big fan of the "spaceship" interior of the current models.

If you're looking for cheaper up front - the hyundai sonata (or elantra if you can handle the size) would be the best bet.

My gf has one, it took me awhile to get used to the new dash setup. However that car is maintenance free.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
Used cars right now are getting better dollars in relative return then they have in decades - so I wouldn't definitely buy new, which it sounds like you plan to.

Look up reliability numbers, and resale value numbers, both good indicators of cars that age well.

I don't need to have brand new. If I can find something with 10K miles or less for a few thousand less than a new car, I'll be happy. We are looking now with the hopes that we can get lucky and stretch another 12 months out of our current car. By then the 2013 models will be starting to come out and the 2012 models will be older.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Civics run forever with great mileage.

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
06 civic here, haven't had a problem requiring service other than just put new tires on it last Friday. That was also the first year that the new model was introduced, just like this year's.

I sat in a Civic but didn't get to drive it. I though the dash was kind of interesting. It was also the cheapest price we saw.

On the other hand I have a family friend who works as a salesman for Hyundai that I've known my whole life and I know I can get a good deal through him.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
I don't need to have brand new. If I can find something with 10K miles or less for a few thousand less than a new car, I'll be happy. We are looking now with the hopes that we can get lucky and stretch another 12 months out of our current car. By then the 2013 models will be starting to come out and the 2012 models will be older.

Just be aware, recent model used cars are relatively very expensive right now. There is a supply shortage, due to various economic situations that occurred 2-3 years ago, causing a lack of these vehicles. You may pay a lot more than you want to.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
50k miles a year? That is a lot of driving!

Yes it is. If I could've found anything closer to me in the last 10 years that would've paid me anything close to what I'm making now I would've taken it.

Rockford sucks for IT jobs.

I have a 07 Civic I bought brand new at the end of 2006. I'm a few hundred miles shy of 45,000, and so far, have only needed the routine maintenance. I just had the initial factory tires replaced in February, and the initial brakes/rotors replaced last Thursday.

I love the car. It's small enough to park nearly anywhere, but i don't feel cramped inside. However, there's not much room for storage (barely fits 2 bags of golf clubs). The dashboard took a while to get used to, but now I can't stand driving cars without digital speedometers.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
VW Jetta Diesel.

http://www.vw.com/en/tdi/jetta.html

Love it. 42 mpg after breaking in the motor. Plus Diesel prices in the burbs are +/- 10 cents of 87.

Have a friend who's the Sales Manager at Fox Valley VW in West Chicago. PM me if interested.

I sat in a Jetta and thought it felt kinda small. Similar to the Chevy Cruze. The MPG is nice but I'm kinda leary about a couple of things.

First I've heard that it can be difficult to get parts for it. Second, I'd have to pay attention to where I get gas. Not all stations have diesel fuel. Last, I know nothing about diesel engines. I'm going to blow through any warranty within 2 years at best so I'll probably be doing some work on the car myself eventually.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
I sat in a Jetta and thought it felt kinda small. Similar to the Chevy Cruze. The MPG is nice but I'm kinda leary about a couple of things.

First I've heard that it can be difficult to get parts for it. Second, I'd have to pay attention to where I get gas. Not all stations have diesel fuel. Last, I know nothing about diesel engines. I'm going to blow through any warranty within 2 years at best so I'll probably be doing some work on the car myself eventually.

True about the gas station. I just downloaded Gas Buddy on my phone, and it solves that problem. Car comes with a 3 year warranty, i believe. I've had my Diesel for about 1 year, my wife has had hers (audi a3 diesel) for about 2. Runs perfectly.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
True about the gas station. I just downloaded Gas Buddy on my phone, and it solves that problem. Car comes with a 3 year warranty, i believe. I've had my Diesel for about 1 year, my wife has had hers (audi a3 diesel) for about 2. Runs perfectly.

It's probably 3 years/36,000 miles though. If he's doing 50k miles, then that warranty will last him 9 months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
All this MPG talk is making me remember that I dont have the luxury of driving my Ducati in the winter and have to rely on the Hemi eating endless amounts of gas. Dammit.

How is the Jeep treating you, Rock? Still loving it?

I haven't bought anything yet as I am buying a home and need to get that finished up first.

Still looking though...thinking maybe a Honda Crosstour now...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
How is the Jeep treating you, Rock? Still loving it?

I haven't bought anything yet as I am buying a home and need to get that finished up first.

Still looking though...thinking maybe a Honda Crosstour now...

Yeah, its great. Has really paid off in road tripping etc, and the adaptive cruise is a godsend. I had an SRT-8 on order but cancelled it in favor of buying my Ducati, havent regretted that at all.

• 4 months later...

So finally decided to take the plunge and start car shopping. There is an audi dealership literally right across the street from my work, so I went there, especially considering I was interested in a Q7 to haul the dogs around.

Ended up test driving a 2010 Q5, a 2007 Q7, and a 2006 Range Rover HSE.

The Q5 is more than I'd like to spend, as it's about $39k and I am trying to be more around $30k. The Q7 and the RR were both right at $29k. The RR has 61k miles but is super clean and has all the bells and whistles...backup camera, proximity sensors, navigation, Bluetooth, yada yada....but man, it drives like a tank and I'm not sure I can deal with that after driving around my little TT for 5+ years. The Q7 had a nicer ride but was a bit under-equipped for a 5 year old $30k car IMO, as it didn't have nav, bluetooth, ipod integration, backup camera, etc. But it was still more refined than the RR and has a beautiful interface and a gorgeous pano sunroof. It has 43,000 miles on it.

They were really pressuring me to make a decision tonight, at which point I told them I needed to sleep on it. They tried to make me some special offer that was good only for tonight, and I reamed them out.

Would love to hear from anyone who has knowledge of these vehicles or has any other suggestions.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 12:55 AM)
So finally decided to take the plunge and start car shopping. There is an audi dealership literally right across the street from my work, so I went there, especially considering I was interested in a Q7 to haul the dogs around.

Ended up test driving a 2010 Q5, a 2007 Q7, and a 2006 Range Rover HSE.

The Q5 is more than I'd like to spend, as it's about $39k and I am trying to be more around $30k. The Q7 and the RR were both right at $29k. The RR has 61k miles but is super clean and has all the bells and whistles...backup camera, proximity sensors, navigation, Bluetooth, yada yada....but man, it drives like a tank and I'm not sure I can deal with that after driving around my little TT for 5+ years. The Q7 had a nicer ride but was a bit under-equipped for a 5 year old $30k car IMO, as it didn't have nav, bluetooth, ipod integration, backup camera, etc. But it was still more refined than the RR and has a beautiful interface and a gorgeous pano sunroof. It has 43,000 miles on it.

They were really pressuring me to make a decision tonight, at which point I told them I needed to sleep on it. They tried to make me some special offer that was good only for tonight, and I reamed them out.

Would love to hear from anyone who has knowledge of these vehicles or has any other suggestions.

I've never heard a positive thing from anyone who has ever driven or owned a Range Rover that didn't have to do with luxury/aesthetics. My godbrother owns one and said it's horrible on gas and drives like s***.

Nice bump. Dammit, don't you know there are old people around here who get confused?

I too am in the shopping for a vehicle game. My problem is the vehicle doesn't exist. I want one for unimproved roads in west Texas, something that I won't mind pin stripping on cactus or mesquite, and when the inevitable limestone dent occurs, I will judge it mainly for it's artistic beauty and the story to tell. It will also need to tow around 3,000 pounds and be reliable. I don't want to be broke down on vacation. So how to balance the knock around qualities of a cheap, high mileage, used car with the reliability of a new car.

A buddy just told me his 1997 GMC Yukon beast may be available. We've had it up and down beaches in Mexico, I know the four wheel drive is stout and the engine was rebuilt in 2008. Currently it is missing reverse, but at my age, why back up?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
Nice bump. Dammit, don't you know there are old people around here who get confused?

I too am in the shopping for a vehicle game. My problem is the vehicle doesn't exist. I want one for unimproved roads in west Texas, something that I won't mind pin stripping on cactus or mesquite, and when the inevitable limestone dent occurs, I will judge it mainly for it's artistic beauty and the story to tell. It will also need to tow around 3,000 pounds and be reliable. I don't want to be broke down on vacation. So how to balance the knock around qualities of a cheap, high mileage, used car with the reliability of a new car.

A buddy just told me his 1997 GMC Yukon beast may be available. We've had it up and down beaches in Mexico, I know the four wheel drive is stout and the engine was rebuilt in 2008. Currently it is missing reverse, but at my age, why back up?

The GMC Yukon and Suburban lines are exactly what you need for this job, Tex!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 03:55 AM)
I've never heard a positive thing from anyone who has ever driven or owned a Range Rover that didn't have to do with luxury/aesthetics. My godbrother owns one and said it's horrible on gas and drives like s***.

This is what I have heard as well...then I started researching...it appears most of Range Rover's problems were in the late 90's and early 2000's...then BMW bought them out and redesigned them into the very popular models from 2005-forward. I believe Ford owns RR now...

Anyways, it drove fine, but yeah, you were definitely aware that you were driving a very large vehicle. The 305 HP version I drove is in my estimation underpowered. The Supercharged 400 HP version is definitely the way to go, but is also more pricey.

As for the gas mileage, I don't drive all that much, and I am in need of a large SUV to haul my great dane(s) around, so unfortunately that is something I am going to have to live with.

Still researching...