Quentin to the DL, Viciedo up

Quin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
So in 12 months when Viciedo is batting .210 with like 8 HR's and zero walks how will ST find a way to blame Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams?

Dude, seriously?

I'm totally going to blame Greg Walker!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 04:05 AM)
I mean, you don't even have to pretend he'll kill the ball or anything, just say "I hope he can do some good" or something like that. But no, Ozzie has to make his point and he doesn't care who he runs down to do it.

That is troubling

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Oh no, his annual dl trip is awesome, we should totally pay him the big bucks because of that

I can put up with that for a guy who plays all out to win. 30 plus doubles, 20 plus homers and about 80 RBI's at this stage of the season shows me something. But, no let's tade our #2 hitter for some mid level prospect because the guy gets hurt at least trying to win. We need 24 more like CQ IMO. :gosoxretro: :headbang

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I can put up with that for a guy who plays all out to win. 30 plus doubles, 20 plus homers and about 80 RBI's at this stage of the season shows me something. But, no let's tade our #2 hitter for some mid level prospect because the guy gets hurt at least trying to win. We need 24 more like CQ IMO. :gosoxretro: :headbang

Just remember, you were the one crying for Crede long after his back pretty much shelved him, you obviously dont know when it is time to receive value back for a player that is about to be risky and expensive.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)

We need 24 inuried right fielders who are extremely streaky?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
Just remember, you were the one crying for Crede long after his back pretty much shelved him, you obviously dont know when it is time to receive value back for a player that is about to be risky and expensive.

I still like Crede and towards the end it was more tongue in cheek about bringing him back, but he was a better option IMO than Josh Fields, who so many fell in love with after about half a season. I don't apologize for for my support of Sox players. Using the rationale of trading someone because of an injury would also translate into calls for Paul Konerko or AJP ew al to get traded. Trading at top value also means to know when a player has peaked and start going down. I don't see that with CQ. After his rebound season from injuries this is just a bump in the road

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)

So other teams will be willing to give up top shelf talent so they can pay Quentin big money to wind up on the DL? For what the Sox could probably get for Quentin, if they can afford to pay him, they should keep him. If anyone hasn't noticed, the Sox have a difficult time picking up good hitters. When they have one, discarding them is foolish.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
I still like Crede and towards the end it was more tongue in cheek about bringing him back, but he was a better option IMO than Josh Fields, who so many fell in love with after about half a season. I don't apologize for for my support of Sox players. Using the rationale of trading someone because of an injury would also translate into calls for Paul Konerko or AJP ew al to get traded. Trading at top value also means to know when a player has peaked and start going down. I don't see that with CQ. After his rebound season from injuries this is just a bump in the road

He was? Joe Crede played less than one more season(90 games) after he left the Sox, and spent the final 2 1/2 months hurt before he retired due to the back problems that consistently plagued him his last 3 years with the Sox. The Sox picked a poor replacement admittedly, but Crede could have been flipped for value long before his value plummetted, and the Sox didnt do it and ended up with NOTHING. Management screwed up by holding on to him too long even when they knew his back was going to give out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
So other teams will be willing to give up top shelf talent so they can pay Quentin big money to wind up on the DL? For what the Sox could probably get for Quentin, if they can afford to pay him, they should keep him. If anyone hasn't noticed, the Sox have a difficult time picking up good hitters. When they have one, discarding them is foolish.

Im done waiting for Quentin to become this good hitter you are talking about. He is extremely streaky, injury prone, and if the Sox can recieve good value for him i am all for moving on. He was amazing in 08, but he has been a shell of his former self since then.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
Oh no, his annual dl trip is awesome, we should totally pay him the big bucks because of that

Didn't he get hurt diving for the ball? Coulda happened to anybody.

This all doesn't matter anyway. We're going nowhere until the contracts of Peavy, Dunn and Rios mercifully expire.

Too much money tied up in nonperformers. Too many holes on this team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Didn't he get hurt diving for the ball? Coulda happened to anybody.

This all doesn't matter anyway. We're going nowhere until the contracts of Peavy, Dunn and Rios mercifully expire.

Too much money tied up in nonperformers. Too many holes on this team.

could of happened to anybody, always happens to quentin.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
could of happened to anybody, always happens to quentin.

Hasn't he been healthy for the entire season until now?

Like Rongey would say, he's been the least of our concerns. Who cares if he's DLed now? We've been out of the race for some time now.

Our outfield next year will be Viciedo, DeAza and Rios. That's a lot worse outfield production wise than Viciedo/DeAza, CQ.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Hasn't he been healthy for the entire season until now?

Like Rongey would say, he's been the least of our concerns. Who cares if he's DLed now? We've been out of the race for some time now.

Our outfield next year will be Viciedo, DeAza and Rios. That's a lot worse outfield production wise than Viciedo/DeAza, CQ.

well just think of it this way greg, if they WERE in it, he would yet again be injured in a crucial down the stretch run. Just like in 08.

do you remember that greg? when he broke his wrist doing whatever he was doing? what about that? and the year after that? and after that? and this season? how about the .250 average?

his power and rbi numbers are good, but you simply cannot rely on carlos quentin. and this is why you explore getting value for him before his arbitration figures get ridiculous

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
Yeah that Paul Konerko for one

I was thinking more like Ken Griffey Jr. who would have a fluke injury every year. Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah are a couple of Bulls that are hurt freakishly almost every season. I personally would keep Quentin unless someone was willing to give up a lot.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
Good God, the overreaction and ignorance of this board is just stunning.

OK haters, have at it.

I have to say that it doesn't seem to pay to support Sox players. Somebody gets banged up or fails to get a hit or the team doesn't win 163 games and some people on this board just blow up. Only one team is going to win it all and if it ain't the Sox then there is always next year. That's what makes baseball great and in my book what a fan should look at. Nobody wants to lose especially the players and I have to believe they try as hard as they can. Give it you all is all that can be asked. If trades are coming then it will be in the off season or spring training. But, I still think it's absurd to look at trading away your best players with some idea in mind you are going to get Babe Ruth. You win or lose as a team.