2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

The other hurdle with Soriano is his is contract, and what Cubs President Theo Epstein will likely look for in compensation. According to Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com “The compensation for Soriano would likely come in the form of relief for some of the $54 million still owed over the next three seasons. The Cubs would eat 80 percent of the money as long as they got back a decent prospect.”

To his credit, Soriano is a known as a terrific clubhouse leader, however even if the Detroit could get Chicago to eat most of his salary, they would surely have to include a top level prospect like Jacob Turner who is currently ranked as the 22nd prospect in MLB.1 So the question is, is it worth taking a flyer on Soriano while players like Yoenis Cespedes or and Carlos Lee might be all-around better alternatives?

The problem in dealing right now for any player is that Dombrowski would be doing so without any leverage. Other executives — Epstein especially — know the Tigers’ need, and might more willing to play hardball in terms of a trade. Perhaps the more prudent option is for the Tigers to try and fill their need with older, more cost effective veteran such as J.D. Drew, Carlos Pena, Cody Ross, or Ronny Cedeno, and reassess come May or June, once they can accurately evaluate their roster.

http://thefanhub.com/posts/detail/274097/W...Fit-In-Detroit-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
KC quietly only 6 games out of first place after some big time heroics against Axford the last two nights

Only 5 games out now. Winners of 4 straight, by 4 runs combined, the last 3 coming down to the last play of the game.

I can't figure this team out. Get swept by Pittsburgh, then sweep Milwaukee. The 12-game losing streak is still kicking us in the nuts in the standings.

Patiently waiting for Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, Salvador Perez, and Lorenzo Cain...

How many "this will be when the Tigers make their run" runs will they have to have before we realize they're just not that good of a team this season?

No One. And I mean NO ONE. Is going on a run away in the Central in 2012. Not The Sox. Not The Tigers. Not the Indians (The Royals don't even merit discussion)

This division will be won with 90 wins at most. And it's gonna be bitter all summer and into the fall. It'll be nailbiting heartbreak or victory (which will also make hearts malfunction)

Welcome to 2012.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
How many "this will be when the Tigers make their run" runs will they have to have before we realize they're just not that good of a team this season?

No One. And I mean NO ONE. Is going on a run away in the Central in 2012. Not The Sox. Not The Tigers. Not the Indians (The Royals don't even merit discussion)

This division will be won with 90 wins at most. And it's gonna be bitter all summer and into the fall. It'll be nailbiting heartbreak or victory (which will also make hearts malfunction)

Welcome to 2012.

The way they stack division games in the last 5 weeks of the season, somebody could get hot in September and run away like the Tigers did last year.

My feeling is the Sox need to be 72-58 on August 30, and go 18-14 the last 32 against mostly division teams to get to 90.

90 should do it this season.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:50 AM)

Welcome to 2012.

Scherzer looks like he is turning things around, had the shutout today. Fister's tough and is back. If they also get back Smyly from blister problems, it's going to be very hard to stop them. Our roster, as currently comprised, isn't going to be enough to hold them off.

Right now, the only thing keeping them from taking first place back is Valverde, their defense and injuries to Smyly and Avila.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
Scherzer looks like he is turning things around, had the shutout today. Fister's tough and is back. If they also get back Smyly from blister problems, it's going to be very hard to stop them. Our roster, as currently comprised, isn't going to be enough to hold them off.

Right now, the only thing keeping them from taking first place back is Valverde, their defense and injuries to Smyly and Avila.

Come on, it's Scherzer, we have seen this before. His ERA in the 4 starts before this one was 5.82. He will have another stellar outing then get shelled a couple times.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Come on, it's Scherzer, we have seen this before. His ERA in the 4 starts before this one was 5.82. He will have another stellar outing then get shelled a couple times.

Still, if you had to choose between Scherzer/Porcello and Humber/Floyd, you'd never go with the latter pair.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Still, if you had to choose between Scherzer/Porcello and Humber/Floyd, you'd never go with the latter pair.

If you put it that way, yeah I agree, although there was a point last year where I may have thought about choosing the two White Sox. I do think there is too much hype for Scherzer/Porcello considering their overall performance though.

Royals took the Cardinals to 15 innings today, but won the game and the series. They've won 5 of 6 by 6 runs, total. The bullpen has been great but man they are completely overworked. Myers and Odorizzi should be up soon. Paulino and Perez will be back within a week. If they are still within 5 games or less of 1st, they will be buyers at the deadline. Hopefully they bring in a starter or two.

We begin a 3-game series in Houston tomorrow night. The Astros are 27-39, but 18-14 at home.

And man, the Cubs are f***ing awful.

Edited by High Mileage

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
Royals took the Cardinals to 15 innings today, but won the game and the series. They've won 5 of 6 by 6 runs, total. The bullpen has been great but man they are completely overworked. Myers and Odorizzi should be up soon. Paulino and Perez will be back within a week. If they are still within 5 games or less of 1st, they will be buyers at the deadline. Hopefully they bring in a starter or two.

We begin a 3-game series in Houston tomorrow night. The Astros are 27-39, but 18-14 at home.

And man, the Cubs are f***ing awful.

But not as bad as Zach Stewart.

And they do have two good starters in Dumpster and Mr. Notre Dame Prince Valiant.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 03:03 AM)
KC quietly only 6 games out of first place after some big time heroics against Axford the last two nights

I guarantee you KC is going to finish ahead of the still dysfunctional Sox.

Sweeping the Cubs would right the ship, but Zach in Game One? Ouch.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)

Greg, haven't we been hearing this same prediction for about 3 or 4 years now?

Seriously, who is the rotation for the Royals right now? I bet most Royals fans couldn't name more than a couple of guys.

When you guarantee the Royals are going to finish ahead of the White Sox, that's what makes everyone believe you're really more of a fan of other teams. If you really believe we're going to be THAT bad, why even bother to follow the White Sox?

I would say it's possible we finish behind them, but I wouldn't bet any money on it happening, either.

If you're going to guarantee something like that, you should have to lose something if you're wrong...like you have to admit that Tony Pena or Buddy Bell or Trey Hillman could managed the 2005 White Sox to the World Series title.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:43 AM)

So you don't think the Sox will win 75 games? The Royals haven't won more than that in 9 years, and I see nothing that makes me think that will change.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 06:11 AM)

Seriously, who is the rotation for the Royals right now? I bet most Royals fans couldn't name more than a couple of guys.

When you guarantee the Royals are going to finish ahead of the White Sox, that's what makes everyone believe you're really more of a fan of other teams. If you really believe we're going to be THAT bad, why even bother to follow the White Sox?

I would say it's possible we finish behind them, but I wouldn't bet any money on it happening, either.

If you're going to guarantee something like that, you should have to lose something if you're wrong...like you have to admit that Tony Pena or Buddy Bell or Trey Hillman could managed the 2005 White Sox to the World Series title.

If KC has the same head to head record against the Sox as it did last year, it definitely will pass the Sox.

I say it because our starters are sucking and they got Hosmer who is ready to break out and Butler who kills us and Gordon, etc. They are young and will pass us IMO.

Sox have played like crap of late and still can't figure out how to do squat at home.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)
But not as bad as Zach Stewart.

And they do have two good starters in Dumpster and Mr. Notre Dame Prince Valiant.

Garza...?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)

Luke Hochevar

Bruce Chen

Jonathan Sanchez

Vin Mazzaro

Luis Mendoza/Felipe Paulino

Edited by High Mileage

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
Garza...?

Luke Hochevar

Bruce Chen

Jonathan Sanchez

Vin Mazzaro

Luis Mendoza/Felipe Paulino

I really like Paulino...let's see if he can stay healthy now...

Again... KC has given the Sox trouble these last few years. I'm willing to bet they win the season series this year as well. But finish ahead of the Sox? Not a chance. You know why? Cause EVERYONE ELSE can beat the Royals at a consistant clip.

On a different note. I can't help but laugh that after all of the s***ty play the Sox have endured for the last few weeks they are STILL in first. This division is such a joke...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
2-3 days Valverde will miss according to ESPN. Also, hopefully this causes him to start to struggle, but it looks like Masterson has found his ace stuff again.

START to struggle? have you been watching him all season?