2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Good for MLB in finally evening out the divisions!

Now all we need is for people to get over the quaint notion of pitchers having to bat and we can get rid of the AL and NL completely and have a total geographic realignment.

If they ever dismantle the leagues and put the Sox and Cubs in the same division, I will be done with baseball. That's a promise.

Something not being talked about with that move.... inter-league play will occur every day of the season as the leagues will have an odd number of teams.

This also will make Carlos lee a long term option in Houston with the DH.

Imagine cubs/Sox closing a year with a divisional berth on the line.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ori...nterviewin.html

Complications with interviewing Jennings, Avila

We know, according to an industry source, that the Orioles will be interviewing both Toronto Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava and Arizona Diamondbacks senior vice president Jerry Dipoto next week for the club’s vacant general manager/president position.

We also know the Orioles are hoping to talk to Florida Marlins assistant GM Dan Jennings. According to another industry source, the Orioles are waiting on a response from Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, who is out of the country and not immediately available.

We also know the Orioles have interest in the Detroit Tigers' Al Avila, the assistant GM of a club in the American League Championship Series.

Avila’s and Jennings’ situations are complicated.

Both have signed long-term extensions with their clubs through 2015, and so the respective clubs can – and may – deny permission.

In Jennings’ case, the Marlins already have. Three times, in fact, in the past. This one could be different though because Jennings is now halfway through his eight-year extension and his opportunities to be a general manager could be waning. The sense is Loria may permit it this time.

Avila, who had interviewed with the Orioles when Jim Duquette was hired, is in high demand, especially with the Tigers on their current playoff run. The Orioles probably wouldn’t attempt to get permission for him until after Detroit’s season ends.

But it likely won’t matter. Avila signed a four-year extension this year that extends him through 2015. The contract allows the Tigers to refuse permission for him to speak to another club. And if that language was inserted there, it’s hard to believe they’d allow him to talk to the Orioles – or the reportedly interested Los Angeles Angels – so soon.

Now, in each case, it’s possible the Orioles could work out a deal with the opposing club, offering compensation in the form of players or cash if they really wanted one of those two men. But with other attractive candidates, it’s doubtful they’d go that far.

All clubs can deny permission, but the protocol is that if someone in your organization has a chance for a promotion, you let him or her go for it. But that’s not always the case when an executive has a long-term contract.

To recap, Jennings or Avila would be a complicated buy, but Jennings is a little more likely than Avila.

One last question: Why would a promising GM candidate agree to a long-term deal that would perhaps limit his ceiling?

Simple: Good money and security in one of the country’s most volatile industries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Kim Ng, currently with the Commissioner's Office, will be interviewed for GM job with the Angels.

Good for her, sounds like she is overdue for a chance at a GM spot. Although Anaheim probably isn't the best location, since it seems like Scocsia(sp) & Moreno run the team anyway.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011...ug-induced-haze

Former New York Mets ace Dwight "Doc" Gooden admits he missed the team's World Series championship parade in 1986 because he was in a drug-induced haze.

Gooden, who has battled drug problems during and after his career, told ESPN that he attended a party in the projects on Long Island after a team party ended following the Mets' Game 7 victory over the Boston Red Sox.

Dwight Gooden pitched for the Mets from 1984 to 1994. (AP Photo)

"When the party started winding down, for myself, a lot of times I get to a certain point of using drugs, the paranoia sticks in," Gooden told ESPN. "So I end up leaving the party with the team, going to these projects, of all places, in Long Island. Hang out there.

"Then you know what time you have to be at the ballpark to go into the city for the parade, but I'm thinking 'OK, I've got time.' And the clocks, I mean the rooms are spinning. I said, 'OK, I'll leave in another hour. OK, maybe in 30 minutes I'll leave. Well, maybe 15 more minutes I'll leave. Then the next thing you know, the parade's on and I'm watching the parade on TV. ... Horrible, horrible feeling."

Gooden, the fifth overall pick in the 1982 draft, won NL rookie of the year honors with the Mets in 1984 at age 19 and was the NL Cy Young award winner in 1985. That season, he led the NL in wins (24), ERA (1.53), strikeouts (268) and complete games (16).

Gooden remained with the Mets through the 1994 season, missed the 1995 season and signed with the New York Yankees prior to the 1996 season. Before returning to the Yankees to finish his major league career in 2000, he also pitched for the Cleveland Indians, Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Houston Astros.

In 16 major league seasons, Gooden was 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA and 2,293 strikeouts.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011...e#ixzz1bFjl1k4w