2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 08:28 AM)
dbacks Arizona Diamondbacks

by mlbtraderumors

#dbacks agree to terms with C Henry Blanco on one-year contract for 2012 with mutual option for 2013 #HenryBlanco

You can't hold Hank White down, you can only hope to contain him.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2011/11/04/cash...tive-candidate/

Brian Cashman was just on the Dan Patrick Show, and he was asked whether C.J. Wilson is at the top of his offseason wish list.

“I’d say it’s fair to say C.J. Wilson is probably the best pitcher on the marketplace right now since Sabathia’s been taken out and retained here,” Cashman said. “I don’t think it’s a stretch to tell anybody that he’s the most attractive candidate.”

Obviously, in a public interview like this, it’s smart to take everything Cashman says with a grain of salt, but he’s also usually one to hedge on everything. He’s not necessarily a guy who makes declarative statements like that on a whim.

Cashman cautioned that putting Wilson at the top of the list is strictly because of performance and talent. It does not take into account the contract Wilson might be after.

“You have your priority list and how it looks,” Cashman said. “But then it gets rearranged by cost analysis.”

A few other highlights from Cashman’s 10 minutes or so on the show:

• Patrick asked twice about Albert Pujols. “I think he would be on anybody’s wish list,” Cashman said. “In our circumstances, our roster, he doesn’t fit… It’s not an efficient way to try to allocate your resources.”

• Cashman said he never heard from another team about becoming their general manager this offseason.

• Is is better to build a team specifically for the postseason? “I think the (regular season) long haul is a true reflection of what your team is,” Cashman said. “Our team, I don’t think, played up to its maximum potential in October, for that one week.”

• Despite the Phillies being knocked out this postseason, Cashman said his basic philosophy hasn’t changed. “I still think pitching is the key to the kingdom,” he said. “I think that’s the recipe you have to strive for. It doesn’t mean an automatic. Nothing does. But I think that’s the right way to go.”

• Cashman said bringing back CC Sabathia “was not a layup” and there were some nervous moments. “That’s never a fun process,” Cashman said. “But the resolution we’re really happy with, and we know he is.”

• Funny question from Patrick: Does Cashman believe his time with the Yankees will end when he retires or gets fired? “I would say that normally you get fired,” Cashman said, laughing. “I think it’s a healthy way to look at it. I think at some point, they usually tell you to go.”

Random bit of information: Cashman said he could most easily impress Patrick by showing him the Yankees conference room. It was built for draft preparation, and the walls are magnetic so that the Yankees can easily make lists and move names around. Right now, those walls are used to rank free agents by position. During the season, it has every team’s roster.

Cashman said there are five TVs — including one massive big screen — so the executives can watch five games at once, or they can pull up computer information on any of the screens. Cashman said his son plays X-box in there.

“That’s the wow room,” Cashman said. “When people come here, they’re going to get blown away by that.”

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
More supposed Marlins uniforms leak.... So hideous haha

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...urn=mlb-wp26449

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
They look like they were designed by a preteen.

These

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
Who cares about uniforms

It's all about the W.

just win, baby.

Go, Ozzie.

:lolhitting

Link

Saying he's "just starting the process," New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman reached out to the agent for C.J. Wilson on Saturday.

Cashman described the call as part of a "slow process" and said he's "reaching out to all agents" representing players on the market. The general manager said no offer was made to Wilson's agent, Bob Garber.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 07:16 AM)
jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Dodgers sign Juan Rivera to one-year, $4.5 million guaranteed contract, pending physical, source says.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 07:19 AM)
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

#Dbacks have agreed to a 2-year deal with John McDonald, team announces.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Dodgers sign Juan Rivera, 1 year, $4.5 million.

Defensive IF guy Josh McDonald re-ups with the D-Backs.

:o

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
I've never heard of this guy, but the YouTube is worth a click

JeffPassan Jeff Passan

Yoenis Cespedes, a 26-year-old Cuban outfielder, is expected to be declared a free agent soon, and sources say he could get $30M or more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_ZrcUZv94

He has a Viciedo-like follow-through.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)
I've never heard of this guy, but the YouTube is worth a click

JeffPassan Jeff Passan

Yoenis Cespedes, a 26-year-old Cuban outfielder, is expected to be declared a free agent soon, and sources say he could get $30M or more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_ZrcUZv94

Apparently the video is no longer available on You Tube.