2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/detroit...position-111411

With Aaron Hill returning to the Diamondbacks on a two-year, $11 million deal, the Tigers believe they may need to turn to the trade market to fill their opening at second base.

The Tigers are interested in Atlanta’s Martin Prado, sources say. He’s available, too.

Prado started at second base for the National League in the 2010 All-Star Game, but his production declined this year as he battled injuries and dealt with a position switch to left field. He has a career .801 OPS when batting first, and Detroit is looking for a leadoff man.

In what could be a related development, sources say the Tigers are willing to trade left fielder Delmon Young for the right second baseman. At this point, though, it’s not known if the Braves have serious interest in Young.

Young supplied run production for Detroit down the stretch, following an August trade with the Twins, but the Tigers are concerned about his defense in Comerica Park’s expansive left field.

With a number of teams looking for outfield power, Detroit should be able to move Young. That would free up a lineup spot for the Tigers to pursue a more athletic outfielder, such as free agent Coco Crisp. Comerica is big enough that it may be wise for the Tigers to have two center fielders, to play center and left.

Young will be a free agent after the 2012 season, Prado after 2013. Young will earn more than Prado in salary arbitration next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Sources: #Dodgers, Kemp in serious discussions on eight-year, $160M contract. #mlb

Kemps deal is the biggest in NL history. The AL has the 6 biggest contracts, two of them by the same guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
Kemps deal is the biggest in NL history. The AL has the 6 biggest contracts, two of them by the same guy.

Unless the AL picks up 2 first-basemen in the next 2 months, this statement will soon be untrue.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
I think the goal is to create enough confusion to get the fans of NL teams to finally accept the DH.

I'd rather have it the other way around, honestly. Though obviously I'm a "die Sox White fan", I greatly enjoy the strategy that comes with the pitcher hitting in the NL.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
I'd rather have it the other way around, honestly. Though obviously I'm a "die Sox White fan", I greatly enjoy the strategy that comes with the pitcher hitting in the NL.

I can't stand watching the first 6 innings of an NL game where the pitcher batting helps bail out the opposing pitcher.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)

What happens to all the slugging DH's in the AL then? They become massively expensive backups? I mean, it's easier to cut a bench player/reliever from a roster than one of the higher paid hitters on a team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Ellis going to get 4.5 million a year....awful deal by the Dodgers.

Ellis isn't that bad. Good defender, below average bat. Comes out to be a mediocre 2B, but $5 million for a mediocre 2B is worth it.

Apparently, the Dodgers are now all sabermetric and they're picking up some fringe guys for pretty much market value.

I always thought sabermetrics was supposed to exploit the market, not follow it. So they're probably doing this thing all wrong.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

Prospective astros owner Jim crane has agreed to go to AL in 2013. He gets about $50M discount to go. He still needs vote of owners

Well, this totally screws up the Back to the Future prediction of Miami vs. Cubs in the 2015 World Series. For a second there, I thought that was going to become true with the Cubs getting Epstein and the Marlins changing their name.