LET'S MAKE A LIST OCTOBER '11 - FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES

knightni

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 01:07 AM)
The hell with the Wrestler...how about Marissa Tomei topless?

I'm sorry, but comparing golf to bowling, skillwise, is ridiculous.

What about Victory? Anyone list that?

I didn't make a list, but a few of mine are Caddyshack, Miracle, Victory, Major League, The Program, and Breaking Away, and Rocky.

I had Victory on my list somewhere around #10. My guess is a lot of people aren't familiar with it, though it is a solid movie.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Both of these were high on my list, and yeah, Little Giants was a staple for anyone our age, Rowand.

Little Giants was good and who knew that the Icebox would grow up to be pretty good looking.

I haven't the time or energy to check the whole thread so i don't know what all has been mentioned already but i always have to stop and watch Tin Cup and the Replacements when they are on tv.

QUOTE (juddling @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
Little Giants was good and who knew that the Icebox would grow up to be pretty good looking.

I haven't the time or energy to check the whole thread so i don't know what all has been mentioned already but i always have to stop and watch Tin Cup and the Replacements when they are on tv.

I think The Replacements just missed my list.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Six of 15 people on a WHITE SOX message board didn't include Eight Men Out on a list of favorite sports movies? :huh

I didn't.

I consider the Black Sox scandal it to be a black mark to the franchise and the movie is not worth more than one watch. It's like watching Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa or Mark McGwire highlights.

Or if they made a Bill Buckner movie and asked Red Sox fans to watch it.

I've mentioned it before, but I don't find Caddyshack funny at all. I believe that it was hysterical in its day, but don't think it's held up over time. I'm sure many still find it funny, but I'd wager that is because they saw it when it was newer and they sort of can relive it. Seeing it for the first time decades later, I can seriously watch it straight through without laughing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
Knight, you ever read the book The Natural? I had the movie on my list, but it lost serious points for Hollywood-izing the end. Plus, Redford had the worst movie swing in history.

I know that the book is different, but I just always loved the Hollywood-ing of the whole movie; always have.

I'm just a sucker for the cheese I guess.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
I've mentioned it before, but I don't find Caddyshack funny at all. I believe that it was hysterical in its day, but don't think it's held up over time. I'm sure many still find it funny, but I'd wager that is because they saw it when it was newer and they sort of can relive it. Seeing it for the first time decades later, I can seriously watch it straight through without laughing.

Agreed.

Same goes for Animal House. My wife had never seen that one so I made her watch it and neither of us laughed the entire time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

Co-sign. I never watched it as a kid and the times I have watched it recently it wasn't very funny.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
Bull Durham is such a p**** chick flick. I hate how it's on every best sports movies list.

I've never seen it and that's why. It always just seemed like a sappy chick flick, not a sports movie.

I'm just the opposite. The only movie I find funnier than Caddyshack is Airplane. I've watched both hundreds of times and still laugh hysterically.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
Bull Durham is such a p**** chick flick. I hate how it's on every best sports movies list.

Well, I hate how everyone talks up a mostly forgettable movie about a walk-on that's on the field for two plays in his entire career, so we're even. :D

Even with the BS at the end, Bull Durham has more memorable baseball-related scenes/lines than a good chunk of this list put together.