LET'S MAKE A LIST OCTOBER '11 - FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES

knightni

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
Finally a couple of my movies come up. Surprised to see each was only on one other person's list (Coach Carter and The Big Lebowski).

As much talk as there was about the Big Lebowski when this list idea first was proposed, I'm surprised that only made 2 lists.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
I completely didn't think of The Big Lebowski as a sports movie.

This. I think both Rounders and Lebowski would be higher on general "movie" lists because neither is really a sports movie, especially after the original discussion about Lebowski. I put Rounders on mine using "the ESPN rule", but put extras at the bottom if Knight decided to remove it and/or the pool movies (which I consider more of a game than a sport as well).

IMO The Big Lebowski should not be on this list. Bowling is just a backdrop of the movie, it isnt the focus of the movie. Superman Returns isnt a sports movie just because he saves a plane from crashing into a baseball game. I love the movie, but it does not belong here

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
IMO The Big Lebowski should not be on this list. Bowling is just a backdrop of the movie, it isnt the focus of the movie. Superman Returns isnt a sports movie just because he saves a plane from crashing into a baseball game. I love the movie, but it does not belong here

This.

Same thing with Jerry Maguire.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
What is bowling, then? Golf certainly takes more athletic ability than bowling.

I'd say they are about the same as far as athletic ability. They pretty much only require you to be able to walk a little bit and swing your arm(s).

Whether or not your actually good at either one depends on skill.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
I can agree to that, but they're all much, much, much, much, much closer to being sports than poker is.

Yes and no. Athletically they are but to me, what differentiates sports from skills is interaction with your competitors. It's not cut and dry but with the activities I mentioned, you can't really affect the other person at all (pool you kind of can). It's just who does better. At least with poker, there is a direct interaction with your adversary and what you do or don't can and does affect the other.