"Major League Ready Talent" Only

Marty34

Kenny Williams on ESPN 1000 this morning:

Because if we're going to move our valuable pieces it's going to be for major league ready talent so they can grow with this nice nucleus in place with [Dayan] Viciedo, [Tyler] Flowers, [Alejandro] De Aza, [brent] Morel. And have to get [Gordon] Beckham back. We have a nice young, kind of youthful movement. Those players [coming in trades] would have to fit into that. Not A-ball players, AA type. They would have to be major-league ready and potential impact players. Will that happen? I don't know, that's why you go to the winter meetings [in early December] and you see what other teams would like to offer you. But I think shopping our guys is something we're not going to be doing.'

As long as I am in the chair we will be as aggressive as we can possibly be. If it turns out that we don't believe that we can reasonably expect the talent we have to compete for a championship, we might have to dial it back and... move today's talent for tomorrow's talent to extend a longer run for us in the future. But none of that has been determined yet until we get a gauge on what other teams feel about our players.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

In the space of those two paragraphs, Kenny contradicted himself.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams states that he will move his guys for major league ready talent only, and then in the second paragraph states that he'll have to see what teams are willing to give up and that they may have to trade today's talent for tomorrow's talent, implying somehow that he is trading for A or AA players. I don't believe that to be the case but rather that he's simply suggesting that he is trading today's currently good players for tomorrow's currently good players, but tomorrow's currently good players are still major league ready talent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
Um...how?

My guess is he is referring to Kenny saying he wasn't going to be shopping our players, and then later stated he won't know the direction we'll be going in until he sees what other teams want to offer us for our players at the Winter Meetings.

The distinction Kenny would obviously make is that he isn't shopping anyone, but he is always willing to listen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
My guess is he is referring to Kenny saying he wasn't going to be shopping our players, and then later stated he won't know the direction we'll be going in until he sees what other teams want to offer us for our players at the Winter Meetings.

The distinction Kenny would obviously make is that he isn't shopping anyone, but he is always willing to listen.

That's not what he says though. He basically admits that he's going to be shopping people but for an MLB-ready return...but not everyone, unless he decides they don't have the talent to compete for a championship (a decision presumably based on the return in his first parts).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Williams states that he will move his guys for major league ready talent only, and then in the second paragraph states that he'll have to see what teams are willing to give up and that they may have to trade today's talent for tomorrow's talent, implying somehow that he is trading for A or AA players. I don't believe that to be the case but rather that he's simply suggesting that he is trading today's currently good players for tomorrow's currently good players, but tomorrow's currently good players are still major league ready talent.

Yep, that's what I see as the contradiction.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)

Well he very clearly qualifies that by saying "If it turns out that we were wrong, then..."

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
That's not what he says though. He basically admits that he's going to be shopping people but for an MLB-ready return...but not everyone, unless he decides they don't have the talent to compete for a championship (a decision presumably based on the return in his first parts).

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out what Marty is thinking...

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Ugh. I hope Kenny is just posturing/placating the fans here. Limiting yourself to MLB ready talent only is an awful idea.

I think there a pretty good chance that's what he's doing. The Sox are such a mess right now that there are no palatable answers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
I think there a pretty good chance that's what he's doing. The Sox are such a mess right now that there are no palatable answers.

No, they're not in the least in that bad of shape.

However, you're probably right...Kenny would never say "I'll take anything I can get for Danks and Quentin."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)

However, you're probably right...Kenny would never say "I'll take anything I can get for Danks and Quentin."

It's also a bit difficult to take prospects several years away when he probably feels quite a bit of pressure to start showing results now, rather than down the road.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
It's also a bit difficult to take prospects several years away when he probably feels quite a bit of pressure to start showing results now, rather than down the road.

Very true...but that's the curse of this situation.

We actually have a lot of MLB-ready "Players", but no obvious MLB-ready "Stars". We're not likely to get an MLB-ready star who would obviously replace one of the guys we have.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)

I'm not sure how one can argue that the Sox aren't in bad shape right now. Overextended payroll, bad contracts, and a barren farm system. Things are pretty s***ty right now.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
I'm not sure how one can argue that the Sox aren't in bad shape right now. Overextended payroll, bad contracts, and a barren farm system. Things are pretty s***ty right now.

On the other hand, if Dunn hits like he hit before 2011, which is probably doubtful, and Rios plays like he played the first half of 2010, again, doubtful, Peavy comes back to be a solid #3 or #4, Beckham hits .275-280, the Sox right now would be as good as any team in their division.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
On the other hand, if Dunn hits like he hit before 2011, which is probably doubtful, and Rios plays like he played the first half of 2010, again, doubtful, the Sox right now would be as good as any team in their division.

Doubtful indeed. The Sox will be unloading productive pieces soon as well. Couple that with questions marks all over the roster, and I fear this team will need almost everything to go right in order to be competitive next season.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Doubtful indeed. The Sox will be unloading productive pieces soon as well. Couple that with questions marks all over the roster, and I fear this team will need almost everything to go right in order to be competitive next season.

The odds of everything going right next year aren't worse than the odds of all the failures we saw this year.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)

Yep and don't even look at 2013.