LET'S MAKE A LIST NOV-DEC '11

knightni

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Voldemort really, guys?

And the Saw franchise is terrible, but that discussion has been rehashed over and over on this board.

Feel free to submit your own list that lords over everyone elses lists

The quality of the overall film doesnt always effect the quality of a good villain. I look at the body of work, how many lives are affected and destroyed, the type of damage inflicted etc. There was a lot that went into it for me

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
I wans't questioning the validity. It just seems too young for guys posting on this site to vote for. We all grew up with Disney villains. Harry Potter came out when most of us were 20+.

so my age determines whether i can recognize if Voldemort is a good villain or not? What other qualifiers should i look out for?

I wans't questioning the validity. It just seems too young for guys posting on this site to vote for. We all grew up with Disney villains. Harry Potter came out when most of us were 20+.

I started reading Harry Potter when I was 13. I'm 25 now btw.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
Take it easy, man. It's an easy joke.

Im not getting upset MM, but come on now. Imagine how you would react if i said the exact same thing about a villain you chose, you would defend your choice too. I thought Fiennes was an intense, scary and completely heartless villain, and Voldemort was even moreso in the books. I also know that there are plenty of extremely good villains that were left out of my list unintentionally(totally spaced out on two MAJOR villains and didnt feel like resubmitting and giving knightni more work to do), but these lists will probably look different for all of us 10 years from now.

Except for flasoxx. he probably will always have the same list of classic horror villains from now until the day he dies ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Im not getting upset MM, but come on now. Imagine how you would react if i said the exact same thing about a villain you chose, you would defend your choice too. I thought Fiennes was an intense, scary and completely heartless villain, and Voldemort was even moreso in the books. I also know that there are plenty of extremely good villains that were left out of my list unintentionally(totally spaced out on two MAJOR villains and didnt feel like resubmitting and giving knightni more work to do), but these lists will probably look different for all of us 10 years from now.

Except for flasoxx. he probably will always have the same list of classic horror villains from now until the day he dies ;)

It sounded like you were taking it personally. I like the Harry Potter movies, to be honest. I just wouldn't ever take them seriously enough to list any bad guys from them as villains.

In a list that has Cruella deVille, a Potter villians seem perfectly in character. The Harry Potter franchise changed YA literature and will be as classic as Disney to your grandkids. If anything, we're ahead of the curve in placing him on our list.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
It sounded like you were taking it personally. I like the Harry Potter movies, to be honest. I just wouldn't ever take them seriously enough to list any bad guys from them as villains.

And that is probably the difference. I viewed him as a literary villian because I think of the books first. You think of the movies.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
And that is probably the difference. I viewed him as a literary villian because I think of the books first. You think of the movies.

Definitely. And when the first movie came out, I was 16 and had no desire to see them. 101 Dalmatians came out decades before I was born, so I grew up seeing that movie.