MLB Expansion Franchises

Quin

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I thought I replied to this yesterday, but it must not have gone through. If an event that happened in 1919 is a main concern to not allow a franchise in a certain city, then I don't think there's much reason to worry about putting a team there.

But then again, Pete Rose. The gambling issue still looms over baseball. And especially with the higher ups, it seems to loom a lot. I just can't imagine MLB being the group that takes the first plunge into Vegas.

Maybe, maybe they'd do it if the NBA put a team there and it was a success. Of course, the fact that 1/2 of Nevada is in foreclosure makes putting a team there in the near future very unlikely, so even in principle we're talking 10+ years out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having an odd amount of teams in each league is just unsound (just as having an uneven amount in each league was). You either need to add a team in each or delete one in each (deleting would probably make more sense, but we all know that is not going to happen, so we need two more). Best places from all the research I have done have to be Portland where support for baseball and a team seem pretty high, and probably somewhere in South such as Nashville, San Antonio, or the Carolinas. Las Vegas would be nice, but that's not happening.

The idea of adding another team to the playoffs is really stupid, but what are you going to do. People will do anything if they think it means a couple more dollars in their pocket.

Something else we are forgetting...if they expand to 32 teams, do they realign like the NFL with 4 divisions of 4 teams in each league? Or do they contract to 2 8-team divisions in each league? I don't like either of those scenarios either, but the NFL version is probably better.

San Antonio / McAllen is actually San Antonio or McAllen/ Northern Mexico markets. IMNSHO the Rio Grande valley (McAllen) in the summer could not support a baseball team. The winter Texans head back up north reducing the population by 1/3 and the migrant population heads north for jobs. San Antonio would be more interesting. They would pull Mexican tourists coming from Monterrey and Austonites in addition to the local S.A. market.

Kinda throw San Jose in there? I think that they are trying to get the A's to move from Oakland to San Jose. However, if the A's stay in Oakland, could San Jose get a team? Probably not, but San Jose is actually a pretty big city and probably has plans in place and there are a lot of technical companies in the area that could be good sponsors.

However, SF is fairly close and they wouldn't like that idea. San Jose would have a better chance of getting a team like the A's moving than a new team but I thought that I would throw them into the mix.

'

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
Kinda throw San Jose in there? I think that they are trying to get the A's to move from Oakland to San Jose. However, if the A's stay in Oakland, could San Jose get a team? Probably not, but San Jose is actually a pretty big city and probably has plans in place and there are a lot of technical companies in the area that could be good sponsors.

However, SF is fairly close and they wouldn't like that idea. San Jose would have a better chance of getting a team like the A's moving than a new team but I thought that I would throw them into the mix.

'

MLB isn't going to push 3 franchises into the Bay Area, especially not with how much Oakland already struggles with attendance/ballpark issues.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
I think Las Vegas and Nashville are the two most ideal sites. Nashville is probably the best, as there isn't much baseball near there.

As far as I can tell, the Nashville Sounds have a pretty good thing going. If a AAA team, who's MLB affiliate isn't even that geographically close can find sustained success in a market, I'd imagine an MLB team (maybe even promoting the Sounds to the MLB) would be pretty fruitful.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)

'

The Giants hold territorial rights over Santa Clara County.. If anyone is going there, it's the A's, which wouldn't be am expansion.. Unless the MLB pulls an NFL (Cleveland Browns) and the A's go elsewhere before the league puts a team in San Jose as part of an expansion.

Here's a decent article on the subject

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
As far as I can tell, the Nashville Sounds have a pretty good thing going. If a AAA team, who's MLB affiliate isn't even that geographically close can find sustained success in a market, I'd imagine an MLB team (maybe even promoting the Sounds to the MLB) would be pretty fruitful.

The Giants hold territorial rights over Santa Clara County.. If anyone is going there, it's the A's, which wouldn't be am expansion.. Unless the MLB pulls an NFL (Cleveland Browns) and the A's go elsewhere before the league puts a team in San Jose as part of an expansion.

Here's a decent article on the subject

Yes. That is the remote possibility that I was thinking. A's move elsewhere and San Jose gets a new team. But still Giants are the biggest roadblock to anything happening in San Jose.

With Miami, Tampa, and Oakland having such a hard time supporting teams, I don't think expansion is going to work anywhere right now, but in the hypothetical world, I think the best options would be:

Portland

San Antonio

Las Vegas

New Orleans

San Jose would work, but only if Oakland moves there. Adding a third team in the Bay area won't work.

Just to be clear, when most people here were talking about San Jose earlier, I am pretty sure they meant the one in Puerto Rico. San Jose, CA, is A's or nothing.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
With Miami, Tampa, and Oakland having such a hard time supporting teams, I don't think expansion is going to work anywhere right now, but in the hypothetical world, I think the best options would be:

Portland

San Antonio

Las Vegas

New Orleans

San Jose would work, but only if Oakland moves there. Adding a third team in the Bay area won't work.

New Orleans used to be on the short lists, but they haven't really recovered from Katrina. Its a shadow of its former self. I don't think they'd even register as a possibility at this point.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
Something else we are forgetting...if they expand to 32 teams, do they realign like the NFL with 4 divisions of 4 teams in each league? Or do they contract to 2 8-team divisions in each league? I don't like either of those scenarios either, but the NFL version is probably better.

With 4x4 we would get rid of that extra playoff spot. Not sure what teams in the northeast would think about that option though ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
I'm sure they wouldn't. I remember reading a few years back that for its size the NY metro area should have 4 to 5 teams in it, when compared to the sizes of the other markets.

How much power do the local teams really have in this regard? This seems like a point where Baseball's full anti-trust exemption would give them some power to overpower the wishes of those franchises.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
How much power do the local teams really have in this regard? This seems like a point where Baseball's full anti-trust exemption would give them some power to overpower the wishes of those franchises.

It would. But Selig also has the testicles of a nun.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
It's hard to believe there can be a worse situation than Oakland with the A's, but then again, there's the Rays and formerly the Expos.

Montreal was last in attendance their last seven years in MLB. Six of those years they didn't break a million fans. The one year that they did, it was by 25k.