Cyber Monday

The Gooch

Honestly I'm tired of all this crap. Watching those videos of black friday shoppers is just sickening. Hundreds of people fighting over s***ty toasters that are 5 bucks cheaper than normal. Really? Is that what we've come to as a society? Pepper spraying people so you can get some dumb item you don't need?

The only good deal I saw this year was Amazon selling brand new phones (Droid Razr) for a penny with a new plan. Saved myself $600 bucks, and not $600 bucks on pure mark-up like 95% of the stuff in these deals.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
I though since it is all online, we could post in here today if we find any good deals. So what are ya buyin? Or is Cyber Monday just a big scam?

There are good deals out there, just gotta know what you want and see if that comes up. The biggest scam of these shopping days is that stores sell you technology that is a few years old for really cheap, and people who aren't techy wont look at that because they just see the price. Those $200 laptops and such are really quite terrible in terms of specs, but for some people it is what they need so great for them.

But there are some good deals out there on laptops, tvs, etc, if I ever buy anything during this time of the year it's because something I've been eyeing is on sale, it's not because they advertised something.

As per our yearly tradition we were out shopping on Black Friday. Er... Black Thursday night.

We actually started at the local mall because my wife's favorite clothing store had everything 50% off starting at midnight. We got there at about 11:40 and had to wait in line behind 2 people. Mostly because the store isn't actually connected to the mall itself. It's in a separate building just across the parking lot.

Meanwhile we watched the hundreds of people lined up around the various entrances to the mall. One of the ways to get into the mall is through a Barnes and Noble store... that didn't open at midnight. So it was kinda funny to watch the huge line of people suddenly disappear when they realized they weren't going to get in that way.

After the clothing store we headed to Best Buy and waiting outside in line for about 3 minutes. This was after we got yelled at by somebody accusing us of stealing their parking spot even though we had been waiting far longer than they had. The person leaving the parking lot had to do an 8-point turnaround to finally get out.

We picked up a 40" LCD TV for about $400 and Sons of Anarchy 3 on Blu Ray for $12(?) and again only waited in line about 15 minutes or so. The line in the TV department was really short.

Then we moved on to Target and picked up a few movies and a Wii. No line at all at the checkout.

We stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up some 8 GB Sandisk flash drives and SD cards for only $9. It was around 5AM and the place was mostly empty.

One last stop at Lowe's to grab a Dewalt 72-piece drillbit set for $20 and then we headed for home.

Overall we got everything we wanted to get and hardly had to wait in any lines at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
If only people got half as excited about election day as they do these fake shopping holiday's the country would be a way better place.

Maybe if the politicians followed through on half the deals the retailers did, people would...:)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
If only people got half as excited about election day as they do these fake shopping holiday's the country would be a way better place.

If only there was a reason to get half that excited about electing the next crop of politicians, instead of always having to try to figure out who is the lesser of two evils, the country would be a way better place.

I bought a Bosch drill at Lowe's.

My first power tool.

How exciting.

Funny thing is, I had no idea you could get a pretty decent one for only $100.

My stepdad gave me s*** about buying German over the American DeWalt product, but I told him it was better for America to live up to the free market principles rather than some propped-up "buy American" standard.

I bought a new laptop for $400. Saved $100, so somewhat decent.

Cyber Monday is often overrated. A lot of the people on the deal sites call it "Free Shipping Monday". Which is more or less true. It doesn't come close to Black Friday.