2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about moving the goal posts.

I believe the original position was that Hamilton was a Wade stopper and good defender. The evidence cited to support the statement was "anecdotal 3rd party evidence" and comparisons. The 3rd party evidence really didnt support he was a good defender, more showed that players didnt want to guard him. The statistical evidence was shown to be inconclusive.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Talk about moving the goal posts.

I believe the original position was that Hamilton was a Wade stopper and good defender. The evidence cited to support the statement was "anecdotal 3rd party evidence" and comparisons. The 3rd party evidence really didnt support he was a good defender, more showed that players didnt want to guard him. The statistical evidence was shown to be inconclusive.

And nothing presented actually disproved it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA

Russell Westbrook has signed a five-year, $78 million-plus max extension with Oklahoma City, league sources tell Y! Sports. Story soon on Y!

Thunder are locked and loaded.

When the Thunder ownership group handed Westbrook his check, he spun around with it and turned it over.

No one ever argued they had statistical evidence to prove Hamilton was a bad defender.

I believe that I personally said Id take my visual opinion over a 3rd party reporters, but then it turned out that there werent even 3rd party reporters who were disagreeing with me.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
No one ever argued they had statistical evidence to prove Hamilton was a bad defender.

I believe that I personally said Id take my visual opinion over a 3rd party reporters, but then it turned out that there werent even 3rd party reporters who were disagreeing with me.

Only in your world.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)

Really?

Link 1:

And, writers in Miami will tell you he’s given Wade fits with his tireless running around screens on the offensive end, and 6-7 length on the defensive end.

So Wade doesnt like running around and he doesnt like tall guys, where does it say Hamilton is good on defense?

Link 2:

He will make Dwyane Wade work on defense.

Not one comment on Hamilton's defense, all on his offense.

Link 3:

plays pretty good defense

No mention that Hamilton is a Wade stopper, and I dont really know what qualifies as "pretty good defense" because thats clearly worse than "good defense" but I guess better than "average". Still doesnt really show that any of these guys said Hamilton is better than Brewer or that Hamilton is a Wade stopper, which was the original argument.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
I'd trade him off my fantasy team right now for a top shooting guard - the turnovers are killing me.

Any good fantasy team loses turnovers because the best players have the highest usage rates. You cannot win a fantasy basketball league while winning turnovers. Forget that category. Russell's been blowing up lately, too. The nest is yet to come.

Also, pick up Kemba if no one else has yet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Any good fantasy team loses turnovers because the best players have the highest usage rates. You cannot win a fantasy basketball league while winning turnovers. Forget that category. Russell's been blowing up lately, too. The nest is yet to come.

Also, pick up Kemba if no one else has yet.

He's my shooting guard right now.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
Really?

Link 1:

So Wade doesnt like running around and he doesnt like tall guys, where does it say Hamilton is good on defense?

Link 2:

Not one comment on Hamilton's defense, all on his offense.

Link 3:

No mention that Hamilton is a Wade stopper, and I dont really know what qualifies as "pretty good defense" because thats clearly worse than "good defense" but I guess better than "average". Still doesnt really show that any of these guys said Hamilton is better than Brewer or that Hamilton is a Wade stopper, which was the original argument.

Those are some Hawk type stretches.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
Your league isn't public, Hence I cannot see.

Either way, man, I love Russell Westbrook for fantasy. Do not trade him for any SG unless said player's name is Kobe.

PG Mike Conley (Mem - PG)

SG Brandon Knight (Det - PG,SG)

G Russell Westbrook (OKC - PG)

SF Carmelo Anthony (NY - SF,PF)

PF Carlos Boozer (Chi - PF,C)

F DeMarcus Cousins (Sac - PF,C)

C Serge Ibaka (OKC - PF,C)

C Byron Mullens (Cha - C)

Util Evan Turner (Phi - SG,SF)

Util Mario Chalmers (Mia - PG)

BN Marvin Williams (Atl - SF)

BN Kemba Walker (Cha - PG,SG)

BN Joakim Noah (Chi - PF,C)

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
PG Mike Conley (Mem - PG)

SG Brandon Knight (Det - PG,SG)

G Russell Westbrook (OKC - PG)

SF Carmelo Anthony (NY - SF,PF)

PF Carlos Boozer (Chi - PF,C)

F DeMarcus Cousins (Sac - PF,C)

C Serge Ibaka (OKC - PF,C)

C Byron Mullens (Cha - C)

Util Evan Turner (Phi - SG,SF)

Util Mario Chalmers (Mia - PG)

BN Marvin Williams (Atl - SF)

BN Kemba Walker (Cha - PG,SG)

BN Joakim Noah (Chi - PF,C)

With DeMarcus Cousins on your roster, you certainly shouldn't be worrying about turnovers. That's a sunk category.

Sadly, looking at the rest of your roster, so is field goal percentage.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
With DeMarcus Cousins on your roster, you certainly shouldn't be worrying about turnovers. That's a sunk category.

Sadly, looking at the rest of your roster, so is field goal percentage.

They aren't scoring enough points/shooting the ball enough.

Hamilton hasn't been a good defender for a few years actually.

His defense rating, which is points per 100 possessions is:

99(this year)

His defensive win shares are:

That's way more awful than OJ Mayo and about the same as Ben Gordon. What Hamilton does though, is make the other player run around and tire themselves out by trying to chase him. In the case of Wade, he hates running around to do such and many times, doesn't do it. Look at game tape when he faces Ray Allen or RIP. He gets super lazy.

NBA defensive ratings are a sham. It just so happens that players on good teams have better ratings and players on bad teams have worse ratings. There was nothing right with the Pistons the last many years.

That being said, Rip's no stopper, this whole argument is stupid and does nothing to lessen the fact that Ray Allen in a deal that loses Ronnie Brewer would not be some awful deal because we dealt Brewer.