2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

:huh:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...story?track=rss

By K.C. Johnson Tribune reporter

12:52 p.m. CDT, June 8, 2012

North Carolina small forward Harrison Barnes, projected in most mock drafts as a high lottery pick, said he met with Chicago Bulls management on Thursday at the NBA predraft camp.

"It was good," Barnes said Friday. "Coach (Tom) Thibodeau was there and we just kind of talked about where their team was, where they saw themselves going and the personality traits I have are similar to what they want to keep on that team."

The Bulls own only the 29th pick in this year's draft, so any chance to draft Barnes would necessitate a trade. That Barnes plays the same position as Luol Deng raises eyebrows, particularly in an offseason in which Deng has said he will play in the London Olympics with a torn ligament in his left wrist.

Deng has two years and $27.6 million remaining on his contract. Barnes measured 6 feet, 7 inches without shoes and weighed just under 228 pounds in his official predraft camp measurements.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
This makes me think Deng being gone is more likely.

Trading Deng this offseason would be dumb. If he plays in the Olympics and waits til after to have the surgery, his value would be at his lowest I would think.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
Nope.

(imo) The only thing that would get the Bulls a top 5 pick is some deal with Taj plus this years first and the Bobcats first. Even then Im not convinced.

Boozer has negative value.

What about Asik? He's an RFA and his rights could be used in a deal along with Deng.

Why would anyone trade a top 5 pick for Asik and Deng?

Im one of the bigger Asik supporters, but there is a great chance that guys like Leonard Meyers are available at 10 or later, Fab Melo may be there at the end of the first round, so why would you trade a top 5 pick for Asik/Deng?

I could see a team who wants to contend possibly giving up a 10-15 for some sort of package like that, but I just dont see why Cleveland, Washington or Sacramento would want that deal, and those are the spots where Gilchrist and Barnes are likely to go.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Nope.

(imo) The only thing that would get the Bulls a top 5 pick is some deal with Taj plus this years first and the Bobcats first. Even then Im not convinced.

Boozer has negative value.

I wouldn't go that far, hes still a 19.8 PER player. I think they could get something for him if you package him with other picks/players.

I hear Charlotte wants to trade down because they need a ton of talent on that team, we've got some expendable talent.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Why would anyone trade a top 5 pick for Asik and Deng?

Im one of the bigger Asik supporters, but there is a great chance that guys like Leonard Meyers are available at 10 or later, Fab Melo may be there at the end of the first round, so why would you trade a top 5 pick for Asik/Deng?

I could see a team who wants to contend possibly giving up a 10-15 for some sort of package like that, but I just dont see why Cleveland, Washington or Sacramento would want that deal, and those are the spots where Gilchrist and Barnes are likely to go.

What's cleveland's cap state? Alonzo Gee, their starting SF last year, is a restricted FA, and along with the young guys from last year's draft Deng could be a good "Veteran" match, especially if they think they'll lose Gee.

2nd City,

Its my belief if Boozer had value hed be gone. The guy is getting 15mil each of the next 3 years and he is not worth it. Hes overpaid and an injury waiting to happen, who wants to invest 45mil in that?

Balta,

Why would Cleveland take Deng instead of Gilchrist or Barnes? If these guys are better than Deng and younger, why wouldnt Cleveland want them?

Now sure, after Gilchrist/Barnes, Deng is probably better than Lamb, etc. But then its a lateral move for the Bulls.

I just dont see how the Bulls get a younger better player out of a Deng trade.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
2nd City,

Its my belief if Boozer had value hed be gone. The guy is getting 15mil each of the next 3 years and he is not worth it. Hes overpaid and an injury waiting to happen, who wants to invest 45mil in that?

Balta,

Why would Cleveland take Deng instead of Gilchrist or Barnes? If these guys are better than Deng and younger, why wouldnt Cleveland want them?

Now sure, after Gilchrist/Barnes, Deng is probably better than Lamb, etc. But then its a lateral move for the Bulls.

I just dont see how the Bulls get a younger better player out of a Deng trade.

That may be but like some, maybe it was you, have said the future of the Bulls financially is turrable. If they can make a lateral move talent wise that helps them greatly financial wise that'd be a much needed plus.

Your Boozer thoughts do make sense...maybe they've been asking for too much??

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
Your Boozer thoughts do make sense...maybe they've been asking for too much??

If moving Boozer requires the Bulls taking on another bad contract in reply, then the motivation for moving Boozer is pretty low.

If Deng was 30, it would make more sense to try and go laterally. But as hes 27, you really dont want to trade him for a lessor player and then need to find even more parts.

The Bulls best hope is to find a team like the Grizzlies and get something like Mayo/Arthur for Boozer. (No way do the Grizzlies do this, but thats the type of deal the bulls are most likely going to settle for.)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Trading Deng this offseason would be dumb. If he plays in the Olympics and waits til after to have the surgery, his value would be at his lowest I would think.

Yeah, but he's an All-Defensive 2nd Team, new All-Star, who's 27 (but an old 27) and it seems a lot of lottery teams are be semi-interested in him. Considering how much of a b**** his last contract was to negotiate for the Bulls, I wouldn't be against moving him if we they can get good value.

Bulls have also talked to Ross apparently.

If the Bulls can somehow pull off getting Barnes and Ross/Lamb while keeping Rose, Noah, Gibson, Butler, and Mirotic then I really like where things would be headed.

I'd love this team in a few years:

PG: Rose

SG: Ross/Lamb

SF: Barnes - Butler

PF: Mirotic - Gibson

C : Noah

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
come on Q, one is very unlikely. You honestly think they can pull off getting two?

I have dreams.

I said I'd love it, but I don't expect it. At best I expect getting Ross. Again, at best.

I'm not saying this would happen, but I'd like us to get a starting five that looks like this:

PG - Derrick

SG - Kobe

SF - Durant

PF - Taj (f*** you Boozer!)

C - Dwight Howard

/green /allbullsfans

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
I'm not saying this would happen, but I'd like us to get a starting five that looks like this:

PG - Derrick

SG - Kobe

SF - Durant

C - Dwight Howard

/green /allbullsfans

If Pax and Forman can't pull that off they should be fired.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)

PG - Derrick

SG - Kobe

SF - Durant

C - Dwight Howard

/green /allbullsfans

Kobes old, give me Lebron.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
GS wants CJ back, they dont want 4 draft picks.. what are the odds the bulls can put a package together involving CJ as the main piece for the #7?? Then package up Deng for the #2???

CJ is a back up point guard. Hes not going to be the main piece in any deal for a top 10 pick.

At 7 there is a chance you get your pick of any pg int he draft, why would you Watson over that?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
GS wants CJ back, they dont want 4 draft picks.. what are the odds the bulls can put a package together involving CJ as the main piece for the #7?? Then package up Deng for the #2???

CJ Watson for the #7 pick in the draft? Really?