2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
I know Iverson won the MVP (should've been Shaq). But I never thought he was a top 5 player. He was one of the more inefficient "superstars" ever. I mean Bill Russell type inefficiency.

I'd love to see your list of 5 players or more that were better than him that year...

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)
I'd love to see your list of 5 players or more that were better than him that year...

Shaq, Duncan, KG, T-mac, Vince, Kobe. This is without hesitation. You could argue guys like Pierce and Webber as well. Nobody who shoots 42% from the field (mediocre TS% of .518) is a top 5 player in my book. AI was arguably the face of the NBA at the time and everybody loves the little guys. But like I said, he was an inefficient chucker who either just refused to or was unable to adjust his game for the betterment of the team.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Shaq, Duncan, KG, T-mac, Vince, Kobe. This is without hesitation. You could argue guys like Pierce and Webber as well. Nobody who shoots 42% from the field (mediocre TS% of .518) is a top 5 player in my book. AI was arguably the face of the NBA at the time and everybody loves the little guys. But like I said, he was an inefficient chucker who either just refused to or was unable to adjust his game for the betterment of the team.

He had nobody on his team. I agree with you that AI is inefficient and overrated, but you have to admit, he took a team with literally nothing to the Finals. That's impressive in itself. If he did have a better supporting cast, I doubt he has a 52% TS.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
He had nobody on his team. I agree with you that AI is inefficient and overrated, but you have to admit, he took a team with literally nothing to the Finals. That's impressive in itself. If he did have a better supporting cast, I doubt he has a 52% TS.

But the East was horrendous during that period. It's not like those 76ers had to get through a bunch of great times.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
I think LBJ is gonna show up in these Finals, I don't expect him to disapear like like he did a year ago...still OKC is deeper and they win in 7.

I've got OKC in 6. Unlike Boston, OKC won't get tired.

I'll go OKC in 7. I think it's going to be close, but OKC has slightly more margin for error and the last two games at home. Some things that work in Miami's favor...

-The Thunder were highly turnover prone in the regular season (16 a game), which is a recipe for disaster against Miami. They have been much better in the playoffs (only 11 per game), but Miami is also the best defensive team they'll have faced. They have to take care of the ball and take good shots, especially Westbrook.

-OKC's scoring is just as unbalanced as Miami's. They rely very heavily on Durant/Westbrook/Harden, over 65% of their scoring comes from that trio in the playoffs. Miami's D has looked most suspect when the opponent moves the ball well and makes them guard everyone on the floor. OKC is a team that can get quite isolation-oriented. Though statistically they're quite comparable, I feel like the Spurs are set up a lot better to beat Miami's D.

-OKC doesn't really have a depth edge, at least in the literal definition of it. The Heat mostly rely on 7 guys with 4 others making frequent appearances, the Thunder mostly rely on 8 with only 2 others making frequent appearances. Obviously OKC is better outside of their big 3 (mostly because Ibaka and Perkins are a lot better than Haslem/Anthony/Turiaf), though like Miami they tend to make bigger contributions defensively.

-Who guards Lebron? Durant makes the most sense, but that puts a ton of pressure on him. I feel like the best option is to put Ibaka on James so Durant can cover Battier and Thabo can take Wade, but I'm not sure Serge is quick enough and whether they'll do it or not.

On the flipside, having the last two is a huge edge because I don't think either team is winning in 5, Westbrook could destroy Miami worse than Rondo did, and Miami can't afford to have Lebron or Wade flake off while OKC can get away with it a bit more.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
OKC wins as Durant rips title of best player from LeBron's hands.

These items do not have to go hand-in-hand.

I have OKC in 6. The Celtics are half the team that the Thunder are and just took the Heat to 7, but the Heat will presumably have a more mended Bosh.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
Well, the excuse could be he lost to a more talented team?

But it was gon' be easy and Pat Riley could play like he was at Kentucky because Wade and LeBron are all business and going to push each other in practice.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
But it was gon' be easy and Pat Riley could play like he was at Kentucky because Wade and LeBron are all business and going to push each other in practice.

Wade and Bosh have been injured. LeBron has put together historic performance after historic performance. He made a stupid, annoying DecisionTM, yes, but he's still been a complete motherf*cking monster.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
How can you look at this game log and try to say that LeBron isn't single-handedly carrying that team?

He's been great.

30.8/9.6/5.1/50.8 doesn't net the type of respect it used to. That's right. Nobody has ever put up those numbers. The 9.6 is obviously his rebounds per game. And that's been out of total necessity with Bosh being out most of the last two rounds. With Wade on/off all post-season, combined with the crap that are the Heat role players, this is pretty much the finest non-Michael post-season performance we've ever witnessed.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
I think that Thabo/Harden will guard Lebron. OKC has a good interior advantage so its unlikely Lebron will want to post and get an immediate double.

I don't think you can do that for two reasons...

1) Then who guards Wade? Westbrook? I don't think you really want Durant on him.

2) Lebron got a bunch of baskets against Boston where he got down low off a cut, curl or even a few post-ups where he just shot an easy layup over his defender.

Since that pathetic loss to Indianapolis, LeBron is averaging 33.3ppg, 11.1rpg, 5.1apg, 1.1 3pg, 1.2bpg, 1.4spg over his last 10.

He's at 30.8, 9.6, 5.1, 1.2, 0.8, 1.9 for the playoffs - 18 games.

What a disappointment. What a choker.

Last year? Ok, dog the guy. This year? You just can't.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Since that pathetic loss to Indianapolis, LeBron is averaging 33.3ppg, 11.1rpg, 5.1apg, 1.1 3pg, 1.2bpg, 1.4spg over his last 10.

Until he loses.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)

And even last year you can really only criticize him for the finals. He was fantastic against the Bulls and Celtics which makes it even more bizarre that he deferred so much to Wade in the NBA finals.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
I don't think you can do that for two reasons...

1) Then who guards Wade? Westbrook? I don't think you really want Durant on him.

2) Lebron got a bunch of baskets against Boston where he got down low off a cut, curl or even a few post-ups where he just shot an easy layup over his defender.

Westbrook will play Wade some, Harden can play Wade. It just depends.

I just think Ibaka cant guard Lebron on the outside, which will lead to a lot of breakdowns on defense.