Who had the best NFL Rookie season of All-Time?

Sayers rookie year is criminally underrated looking at his stats. He literally did it all. Rushing, receiving, KR & PR and scored a TD in ALL of them his rookie year. Hell, he even threw a TD pass. :o

Marino and Sayers are neck and neck for me. Marino was amazing no doubt. You just don't put up those kind of numbers for a rookie QB, and he did it with very few games played. It's very close with those two IMO. (I'll say Marino now, though I could wake up tomorrow and easily change my opinion to Sayers)

Edited by SoxAce

I must be missing something with Marino's 1983 season. :huh: He put up solid numbers. But he also had arguably the best OL in the NFL. Cam Newton's rookie impact blows away Marino's rookie season to me.

I would go with Dickerson or Moss. Dick Lane's 14 INT's should also be in contention.

Edited by Palehosefan

Marino's stats are pretty absurd for a rookie in just 9 starts in that era of NFL passing. Imagine what he couldve done in today's game. And he was win 7-2.

And I think the criteria should be more stat related but winning games/contribution to team's success should be bonus points.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Marino's stats are pretty absurd for a rookie in just 9 starts in that era of NFL passing. Imagine what he couldve done in today's game. And he was win 7-2.

And I think the criteria should be more stat related but winning games/contribution to team's success should be bonus points.

Marino started 9, but played in 11 games overall. He had a big impact, but so did Roethlisberger in 2004 for the Steelers. I wouldn't vote for either one.