The Sox Still Need A Left Handed Bat

Lillian

Here is our projected starting lineup versus RHP for 2012, with last years stats:

2012 Stats (AVG, OBP, SLG)

CF de Aza .338 .409 .541

C A. J. P. .283 .319 .393

1B Konerko .303 .389 .535

DH A. Dunn .187 .310 .336

LF Viciedo

RF A. Rios .204 .250 .328

SS Ramirez .269 .324 .407

2B Beckham .242 .307 .356

3B B. Morel .246 .290 .349

The most glaring deficiency is the lack of left handed power bats. It's the same problem that has plagued this team since the departure of Thome.

Dunn is the only potential LH power hitter, and we all know how much in doubt his prospects are. A trio of left handed hitters consisting of A. J., de Aza and Dunn does not constitute much of a threat to RH pitching, and that's what a team faces most of the time.

The lack of left handed average and on base percentage hitters is almost as serious as the absence of power.

I can't believe that K.W. intends to go into the season with that lineup.

So, who is out there, and whom would he replace, even if only as a platoon player versus RHP?

Wilson Betemit is one name that comes to mind, as a platoon with Morel. He is a very good hitter from the left side, but the defense would suffer too much to make that move compelling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:13 AM)
If the projected lineup holds and everything is working, we really don't need a LH bat, because we have De Aza, Dunn, and AJ in the normal, everyday lineup.

We could use a LH backup somewhere. Do any of the minor league backup IF's fit that billing?

That's my point. There isn't a potentially potent left handed bat in the entire organization, that is even close to being Major League ready.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
Why do we need a potent one?

The Sox need a LH bat that is sufficiently potent to force a manager to make a bullpen switch in the late innings.

Can you imagine any manager going to the pen to bring in a lefty to face de Aza, A. J. or Dunn?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
The Sox need a LH bat that is sufficiently potent to force a manager to make a bullpen switch in the late innings.

Can you imagine any manager going to the pen to bring in a lefty to face de Aza, A. J. or Dunn?

If Adam Dunn stops hitting like the worst player in the history of MLB, then yes, absolutely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
Honestly, this is something you worry about if you are planning on competing this year.

Yeah, you really need to think about 2013 here, because that is what KW is building towards. Andy Wilkins may be ready by then. But more importantly, you'll know by then if Dunn's situation was a one-time problem, or if he is truly done. No point in spending on some filler LH bat right now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
If Adam Dunn stops hitting like the worst player in the history of MLB, then yes, absolutely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Yeah, you really need to think about 2013 here, because that is what KW is building towards. Andy Wilkins may be ready by then. But more importantly, you'll know by then if Dunn's situation was a one-time problem, or if he is truly done. No point in spending on some filler LH bat right now.

And if Adam Dunn continues hitting like the worst player in the history of MLB and doesn't also retire, then the White Sox will have to decide whether they want to spend money on a LH bat next offseason or whether they just want to throw in the towel on another season and wait for Dunn and Rios's contracts to be up.

I agree the team needs a more potent left-handed presence, but if the Sox were to go out and sign a value-veteran to fill that roll, at what position would said veteran play? Dunn already fills the gap at DH (I'm not saying anything about his performance, I'm just saying he's already the power lefty at DH). First base? An outfield position? Or maybe 3rd?

Beyond that, who is available right now?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
I agree the team needs a more potent left-handed presence, but if the Sox were to go out and sign a value-veteran to fill that roll, at what position would said veteran play? Dunn already fills the gap at DH (I'm not saying anything about his performance, I'm just saying he's already the power lefty at DH). First base? An outfield position? Or maybe 3rd?

Beyond that, who is available right now?

And right now, all of those positions are filled.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
And right now, all of those positions are filled.

Right. The only way I see another LH bat signed is as a bench player who could also slip into the DH position if Dunn tanks. But, would the Sox even consider spending $5+ million on the likes of Damon or Matsui to have them be a bench player?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
Right. The only way I see another LH bat signed is as a bench player who could also slip into the DH position if Dunn tanks. But, would the Sox even consider spending $5+ million on the likes of Damon or Matsui to have them be a bench player?

Way too much money to spend on the bench. I'd much rather save that $5 million for next offseason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
The really sad thing is that Mark Teahen is a guy who'd fit here. I wonder if he had an issue with just the Guillen clan, or the organization in general. The Sox would only be obligated for the minimum as Toronto is paying for his deal this year.

He'd fit here if he could play...at all. Last 2 years he simply hasn't been useful.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
I was hoping Sox would go after Seth Smith of Rockies, before they traded him to A's earlier this week for two pitchers. He had just signed for $2.4 MM so he was affordable. He's a solid hitter.

He would be a great platoon OF with Lillibridge, but two major problems arise.

1. You would have to trade away 2 of young pitchers you just traded for.

2. Who do you send to the minors, DeAza, Dayan, or Lilli?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Omar cost over double what Teahen would. Last year his OPS with the Sox was only 0.010 higher than Marks.

I have little problem paying $1 million for a veteran on the bench if that's the way the Sox decide to go. $2-3 million I start getting iffy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
I have little problem paying $1 million for a veteran on the bench if that's the way the Sox decide to go. $2-3 million I start getting iffy.

It is athought for sure and unless I am missing something we are a bit short at a backup 3B kind of guy