The Sox Still Need A Left Handed Bat

Lillian

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
It is athought for sure and unless I am missing something we are a bit short at a backup 3B kind of guy

If the season started right now, I'd guess that role goes to someone out of the Ozzie we traded Ozzie for and Escobar.

I can't even think of the last good left-handed bat we had and we've won a world series, so whatever. I guess you could argue Thome was this bat, but you could also argue he hurt the team as well with his 1 dimensional stuff. And considering most teams don't have a power LH bat, I'd say it's not that big of a deal. Gotta wait on Mr. Dunn to try n impersonate Mr. Thome.

But a .300 hitter from the left side with pop to all fields and a nice walk to K rate?? Haha I'd love one man, sign me up!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Honestly, this is something you worry about if you are planning on competing this year.

I kind of hate the fact we all know we're not planning on the Sox competing this year.

To me, that's kind of sad when you have veterans like Paulie, AJ, Alexei, Dunn, Rios, who are all veterans on the team. Hell, Beckham is young, but even he has a lot of experience. And our starting rotation has some experience on it as well, led by Mr. Veteran Moneymaker Peavy. And our bullpen has a lot of experience to go with the rookie closer.

It seems to me, unless KW makes more trades, this team in terms of raw age and experience should be EXPECTED to compete for a division title in this horses*** division (assuming Detroit doesn't go crazy again and win all those games).

I hope I am making my point clear. Don't you agree with me that it's frustrating to have such a veteran team be considered a team that has no chance in hell of competing??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
I kind of hate the fact we all know we're not planning on the Sox competing this year.

To me, that's kind of sad when you have veterans like Paulie, AJ, Alexei, Dunn, Rios, who are all veterans on the team. Hell, Beckham is young, but even he has a lot of experience. And our starting rotation has some experience on it as well, led by Mr. Veteran Moneymaker Peavy. And our bullpen has a lot of experience to go with the rookie closer.

It seems to me, unless KW makes more trades, this team in terms of raw age and experience should be EXPECTED to compete for a division title in this horses*** division (assuming Detroit doesn't go crazy again and win all those games).

I hope I am making my point clear. Don't you agree with me that it's frustrating to have such a veteran team be considered a team that has no chance in hell of competing??

Dunn, Rios, and Peavy are the three main reasons we have no expectations of competing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:20 AM)
Dunn, Rios, and Peavy are the three main reasons we have no expectations of competing.

If that's the case then it is absolutely sick that the Sox are keeping them and not just eating the money.

Assuming all three are trash, the Sox are going to keep them around ... for what reason?

Reading your post, keeping those 3 bums is a reason the team cannot compete. So why keep them? It would be better then to just eat those millions and millions of dollars. Instead of a Disco Demolition night, have a night where we burn their salaries with fake monopoly money.

People get on me for being a troll yet I ask what I feel is a serious question and no responses.

This team is FULL of veterans and we are assuming the team will completely suck.

I guess that means we are like those old Baltimore teams that had some veterans but were out of it before the AS break every year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
If that's the case then it is absolutely sick that the Sox are keeping them and not just eating the money.

Assuming all three are trash, the Sox are going to keep them around ... for what reason?

Reading your post, keeping those 3 bums is a reason the team cannot compete. So why keep them? It would be better then to just eat those millions and millions of dollars. Instead of a Disco Demolition night, have a night where we burn their salaries with fake monopoly money.

People get on me for being a troll yet I ask what I feel is a serious question and no responses.

This team is FULL of veterans and we are assuming the team will completely suck.

I guess that means we are like those old Baltimore teams that had some veterans but were out of it before the AS break every year.

A serious question? Where? You haven't asked one yet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)

I do agree. The point has been made that because of Dunn, Rios, and Peavy (the veterans), the Sox are not expected to compete. If those three guys are the same as 2011, then the chances are pretty good that the Sox don't compete. But what if Dunn rebounds to his career norm, Rios plays well, and Peavy doesn't get hurt and has a decent season? It's a whole new team.

I honestly believe that the Sox could compete with the team as constructed. However, if those veterans (and Beckham for that matter) don't play better, then no, they don't have a chance.

It is athought for sure and unless I am missing something we are a bit short at a backup 3B kind of guy

[/quoteT

My theory is some players have a good season followed by a bad season I think Teahan has a different take it may well be 2 bad seasons followed by an all star stellar season. He's not the worst 3rd baseman an he does have some power. We are rebuilding he'd be fine wherever we put him. major gripe from us fans was he was getting paid too much. Well he got a 300,000 dollar raise if we sign him including what the blue jays will pay him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)

They both have three years left. At this point you are trying to recoup your investment under new leadership.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
They both have three years left. At this point you are trying to recoup your investment under new leadership.

They must perform period, or the Sox have no chance of recouping any investment it made in those three. That's the bottom line and only 2012 will tell

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
They must perform period, or the Sox have no chance of recouping any investment it made in those three. That's the bottom line and only 2012 will tell

They could also get lucky and wind up having Dunn give up and retire if he can't play any more.