Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
You take Luck and keep Manning. If Manning plays well for a couple years, than you deal with it than.

Andrew Luck should not sit on the bench for "a couple years".

Peyton Manning should not play for a team that has $7-8 million a year in cap space tied up in his backup.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
Andrew Luck should not sit on the bench for "a couple years".

Peyton Manning should not play for a team that has $7-8 million a year in cap space tied up in his backup.

Luck could probably start right away, but it's not going to hurt his career. He's 22.

Just look at how this has worked in the past. Montana to Young. Favre to Rodgers.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Mike McCarthy is part of the reason why Aaron Rodgers is as good as he is. I think McCarthy is top 5 coach in the NFL.

From his play calling to game management. He is really good.

That wasn't a dig on McCarthy, it was more of a hypothetical comparison. I'm sure he has helped Rodgers a ton, but Kyle Orton & Matt Cassel wouldn't produce the same results with similar coaching. You need the players to win, no matter how good of a coach you are. Having Urlacher has helped Lovie, but Lovie has also put him & the others in positions to succeed, which is important for a coach. (As opposed to Ozzie for the last two seasons, who seemed to put half the team in a position to fail).

Luck is going to be a beast learning from Peyton. Even Rodgers himself said digesting that playbook and learning from Favre on tendencies of the QB position on the field helped his development. In fact.. I'd argue he was one year over ready. His accuracy is just incredible.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Luck is going to be a beast learning from Peyton. Even Rodgers himself said digesting that playbook and learning from Favre on tendencies of the QB position on the field helped his development. In fact.. I'd argue he was one year over ready. His accuracy is just incredible.

I go back and forth on this, there are qbs that have been amazing and started from day 1, there are qbs that have been amazing sitting on the bench, I think it really just comes down to there are good Qbs and bad qbs. I doubt Aaron Rodgers learned accuracy and his great pass selection from Brett Favre.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
I go back and forth on this, there are qbs that have been amazing and started from day 1, there are qbs that have been amazing sitting on the bench, I think it really just comes down to there are good Qbs and bad qbs. I doubt Aaron Rodgers learned accuracy and his great pass selection from Brett Favre.

The physical skills, probably not. But there is no doubt about the mental side of playing QB. With as many guys as we see with the physical tools still wash out, there is big value in actually being able to develop them before throwing them to the wolves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
The physical skills, probably not. But there is no doubt about the mental side of playing QB. With as many guys as we see with the physical tools still wash out, there is big value in actually being able to develop them before throwing them to the wolves.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)

Watching Favre he probably learned where/when to NOT throw the football.

I may make my first bears game this sunday since Dave Krieg was filling in for Erik Kramer by tossing bombs to curtis conway. That game we beat the lions 37-14 i believe, or 31-14. Something very similar to last sunday.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
Guys, is Lovie Smith a very good coach? I'm afraid to believe he is, but I feel like he's converting me.

He's waaaay better than Iron Mike yet Ditka is a legend in Chicago, Lovie needs a SB win to cement his place in Bears football lore.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
He's waaaay better than Iron Mike yet Ditka is a legend in Chicago, Lovie needs a SB win to cement his place in Bears football lore.

Bears fans would still call it a fluke.

This Lovie "love" is freaking hilarious. The guy is incredibly average at best. His in-game decisions are right up there with Andy Reid. Remove Devin Hester and a top 5 defense for the majority of his tenure and this team misses the playoffs every freaking year. Lovie is the luckiest coach in the league, no one else is even close. Look at some of the impressive wins this year against Atl and now Det. Defensive TO's into points and special teams. Fluke, fluke, fluke. That's the story of the Bears' success during his tenure. That's true for the SB run (mostly fluke) and last years NFC Champ run (all fluke).

Re: Luck. This is turning into the Bush v. Williams debate, where 6 months of talking about it has made Bush (Luck) into a 100% guarantee. How'd Bush's career turn out? I'm sure Luck will be a good NFL QB, potentially great as all signs point to him being ahead of the curve at his age. But this crap about trading away a Hall of Famer is hilarious. There's no other option for the Colts. You draft him and you keep him. PERIOD. You cannot take the chance of Luck being a bust (happened before) and Manning still having some years left. Take the best of both worlds - hall of fame qb for another 3-4 seasons with his replacement waiting in the wings. Two of the best QB's right now - Brady and Rogers - both said this was a huge part of why they're as good as they are right now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
Bears fans would still call it a fluke.

Ditka took a crappy team and molded into one of the greatest teams ever (if not the best). He's always going to be loved for that, though I do think the praise is a bit much. He pretty much flamed out the last few years.

Speaking of, the NFL Network's special on Ditka was great, if anyone hasn't seen it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
This Lovie "love" is freaking hilarious. The guy is incredibly average at best. His in-game decisions are right up there with Andy Reid. Remove Devin Hester and a top 5 defense for the majority of his tenure and this team misses the playoffs every freaking year. Lovie is the luckiest coach in the league, no one else is even close. Look at some of the impressive wins this year against Atl and now Det. Defensive TO's into points and special teams. Fluke, fluke, fluke. That's the story of the Bears' success during his tenure. That's true for the SB run (mostly fluke) and last years NFC Champ run (all fluke).

So Lovie gets no credit whatsoever for producing a top 5 defense? The guy emphasizes special teams more than nearly any other coach in the league, but gets no credit for when they succeed?

What's your opinion of the Ray Lewis led Ravens of the past 10-15 seasons? They only win because of their defense, do you consider them a fluke? All those defensive touchdowns Ed Reed scored, just a fluke?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
Ditka took a crappy team and molded into one of the greatest teams ever (if not the best). He's always going to be loved for that, though I do think the praise is a bit much. He pretty much flamed out the last few years.

Speaking of, the NFL Network's special on Ditka was great, if anyone hasn't seen it.

Wait, so Ditka has a team full of Hall of Famers, and he had a crappy team. Lovie has maybe two(if you count Hester), and he is lucky? Excuse me while I LMFAO.

Right now Green Bay looks head and shoulders above everyone but their D has given up a lot of points, I would really love to see the Bears and Packers play right now that the Bears are gelling to see where we are at level wise.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
You're right, only good coaches tell their teams to create TO's and score defensive TD's. Come on...

Yes when Charles Tillman forces a fumble it is total luck. It has nothing to do what Lovie Smith preaches and teaches in every practice.