Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
I'm also pretty sure when the Bears were doing well in '05 and last year, most people had the attitude that the Bears could easily win it all.......

I don't run into too many super confident Bears fans. We normally expect something to go wrong.

It was 2006, btw, not 2005, when the Bears went to the Super Bowl. That year, and last year (when the Packers were injured/a wild card team due to so many injuries) did not contain a teams as impressive as this year's Packers and Saints. Both of those teams shot themselves in the foot this weekend. The Saints game, in particular, was something to behold, as absolutely everything went wrong and they were an improbable Alex Smith TD drive from winning.

Now that those two teams are out, I'd say it's absolutely anyone's game. I wouldn't have given the Bears much of a shot in 2006 against teams like that either.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
This is what gets me the most............The niners have won with essentially the exact formula that took the Bears to the Superbowl in 2005 and NFC Championship last year.........yet, most Bears fans haven't given the Niners a chance with anything.....I really am surprised how Bears fans of all people can't see how the formula the 49ers have had can in fact win you games and take you to a Superbowl. I'm also pretty sure when the Bears were doing well in '05 and last year, most people had the attitude that the Bears could easily win it all.......

06 yes, not a lot of people thought of the Bears as a legit sb winning team last year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
I was super young in the 80s when the 49ers were beating on the Bears, so I have limited memory of that, and don't really hate the 49ers. I did enjoy watching their defense play on Sunday.

But the 49ers fans in this thread have definitely made me root against them in these playoffs.

I'm old enough to remember the 49ers beating the Bears in 84/85, and the beatdown the Bears gave the Niners the next year at the Stick, the game where they used the Fridge on offense, as a response to the 49ers using a OLineman IIRC in the NFC championahip.

I also remember when Montana and co. knocked us out at home in the late 80's in the NFC title game and Seifert running up the score on a MNF game when their team didn't make the playoffs while the Bears did (they even had a better record but didn't win their division, this was pre Wild Card era.

My point is I used dislike SF (not hate, I reserve that word for the Pack, Vikings and Lions) but I also disliked the Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles etc...

Years of 9er irrelevance softened the dislike, I really don't care for them one way or another, like most Bears fans I would guess.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
I don't run into too many super confident Bears fans. We normally expect something to go wrong.

It was 2006, btw, not 2005, when the Bears went to the Super Bowl. That year, and last year (when the Packers were injured/a wild card team due to so many injuries) did not contain a teams as impressive as this year's Packers and Saints. Both of those teams shot themselves in the foot this weekend. The Saints game, in particular, was something to behold, as absolutely everything went wrong and they were an improbable Alex Smith TD drive from winning.

Now that those two teams are out, I'd say it's absolutely anyone's game. I wouldn't have given the Bears much of a shot in 2006 against teams like that either.

My bad on that date......

Yep, they both shot themselves in the foot.......neither one of em got beat. Did everything go wrong when they scored those 32 points? Was it really improbably considering Alex has done it many times this year?

Niners have had a 2-4 plus TO ratios per game all year, and it happens again but it's NO shooting themselves in the foot.......hilarious.

I truly believe that the Bears would have been in the playoffs, if Cutler & Forte didn't get injured. My cousin who plays for the Bears told me that they were very confident going deep into the post season, had they been healthy..

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Yep, they both shot themselves in the foot.......neither one of em got beat. Did everything go wrong when they scored those 32 points? Was it really improbably considering Alex has done it many times this year?

How many last second game-winning drives could Alex Smith have possibly led this season?

Also, take it easy, this is where the animosity comes in... you act like the 49ers are some indestructible force and anyone who thought the Saints would possibly win is an idiot. Congratulations, the 49ers won. They didn't look particularly good in doing so, but they beat the Saints. They did it! Wooooo!

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
I truly believe that the Bears would have been in the playoffs, if Cutler & Forte didn't get injured. My cousin who plays for the Bears told me that they were very confident going deep into the post season had they been healthy..

They would have made the playoffs, but lost very quickly IMO.

There may be a few of you on here that weren't so confident, but most all Bears fans I know, when they win 3 games they are the best team every and are going to the superbowl......

I did forget most of us here on this board are pessimistic when it comes to our sports teams, so I apologize for classifying those here with "most" fans...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
They would have made the playoffs, but lost very quickly IMO.

They would have had zero chance to win in the SuperDome and with the way Giants are playing, winning at MetLife would have been tough as well.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
There may be a few of you on here that weren't so confident, but most all Bears fans I know, when they win 3 games they are the best team every and are going to the superbowl......

Every fanbase has idiots. As a whole, Bears fans are just as bad as Cubs fans. However, I tend to expect more out of a site I post at than pom-poms and cheers and MY TEAM IZ BETETR THAN ALL posts.

That's kinda what you and mrsoxoboma have been doing. However, your team won, and they are certainly the lesser of all the evils remaining the playoffs (the Giants because f*** New York, the Patriots because f*** them, and the Ravens because ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
How many last second game-winning drives could Alex Smith have possibly led this season?

Also, take it easy, this is where the animosity comes in... you act like the 49ers are some indestructible force and anyone who thought the Saints would possibly win is an idiot. Congratulations, the 49ers won. They didn't look particularly good in doing so, but they beat the Saints. They did it! Wooooo!

He's had 4 game winning late 4Q drives this year, 5 including Saturday......

Nice avatar......

Haters gonna hate

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
He's had 4 game winning late 4Q drives this year, 5 including Saturday......

Nice avatar......

Haters gonna hate

And now, during a realistic discussion, I am now called a hater. You are absolutely owning up to that which you are telling us you are not. At least you didn't bother busting out a gif on me.

haters.gif

Edited by Steve9347

We were losing to the Eagles 23-3 and came back to win. Also losing to the Lions by 10 pts and won that game as well.

We were ranked 26th going into the season and now we are one game away from the Super Bowl. Alex has had a great season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
And now, during a realistic discussion, I am now called a hater. You are absolutely owning up to that which you are telling us you are not. At least you didn't bother busting out a gif on me.

haters.gif

My bad, that wasn't directed at you it's meant in a general sense. People's hate for any team or fanbase will always overshadow their football analysis of that team

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
We were losing to the Eagles 23-3 and came back to win. Also losing to the Lions by 10 pts and won that game as well.

We were ranked 26th going into the season and now we are one game away from the Super Bowl. Alex has had a great season.

He's had a good season by Alex Smith standards. However, 190 yards per game and 1.06 touchdowns per game is not a great season no matter which way you slice it. His game has worked with the 49ers fantastic defense. It has not been great.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

Smith threw for 125 yards total against the Lions. The GW touchdown drive was 35 yards long because Ginn took a punt 40 yards. On that drive, Smith threw twice for 10 yards.

On the winning drive vs. Philly, Smith went 3 for 4 for 13 yards. The other 64 came from Gore/Hunter on the ground and another dumb Philly penalty.

What are you going to say if Alex leads the 49ers to a championship?

Smith threw for 125 yards total against the Lions. The GW touchdown drive was 35 yards long because Ginn took a punt 40 yards. On that drive, Smith threw twice for 10 yards.

On the winning drive vs. Philly, Smith went 3 for 4 for 13 yards. The other 64 came from Gore/Hunter on the ground and another dumb Philly penalty.

Alex threw for 291 yds in the Philly game with 2 TD's

Harbaugh believes in him and that's what matters..

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Alex threw for 291 yds in the Philly game with 2 TD's

Harbaugh believes in him and that's what matters..

You are right. No point in discussing any kind of statistical facts about the season, "his coach likes him" is all that matters. I'm done. (And I was one of the few who gave the 49ers a chance to beat NO)