Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
Some chick makes up a name and leads him on for a while before faking her death. He's far from the first guy this has happened to, just the most famous.

The picture used for her everywhere was not really her. It as someone else. Why did Teo or his family never correct anyone who used the picture? They said they met her in person.

There's really only one explanation here, Te'o was in on it. He says he met her, met her family, etc.

Can't wait for the follow up Deadspin story just blowing up Te'o for being in on every single part of it.

All of this to win a bunch of awards? Or...?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
He was a victim of the hoax, not a perpetrator. I would suggest that you learn all the facts before making a judgment, but that's probably lost on somebody with your screen name.

We all know you haven't read the Deadspin article. So go do that, then try to come up with a logical explanation for how he's not in on it besides

OMG HE WENT TO ND SO HE'S INNOCENT.

Man, too bad Lance Armstrong didn't go to ND too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
Met her several times per his quotes. Yet now he was scammed. Ya, super innocent.

So do we think he really was talking to a girl via the internet and possibly the phone, and exaggerated her into a real girlfriend? Or do we think he was in on this all along?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...apparently-hoax

The university says Notre Dame coaches were informed by Te'o and his parents on Dec. 26 that Te'o had been the victim of what appeared to be a hoax.

A Notre Dame source told ESPN that Te'o was vetted heavily when the school learned in December that Kekua was a hoax, and said he believes Te'o was not involved.

1) If Manti was in on the hoax, why would he voluntarily tell ND three weeks before Deadspin got the story?

2) ND's reputation is a lot bigger than Manti. They aren't sticking their neck out for him if they aren't pretty sure he wasn't in on it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)

1) If Manti was in on the hoax, why would he voluntarily tell ND three weeks before Deadspin got the story?

2) ND's reputation is a lot bigger than Manti. They aren't sticking their neck out for him if they aren't pretty sure he wasn't in on it.

I am sure Deadspin has been sitting on this for a while and many people involved were aware of it. You don't think as they are contacting people for the story, they don't tell Mantei?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:46 PM)

Not sure ND wasn't in on it at some point.

We all know you haven't read the Deadspin article. So go do that, then try to come up with a logical explanation for how he's not in on it besides

OMG HE WENT TO ND SO HE'S INNOCENT.

Man, too bad Lance Armstrong didn't go to ND too.

I read the Deadspin article. It proves this was a hoax. It doesn't prove anything about him being in on it.

Teo issued a statement that he had an online/phone relationship. Nothing about meeting anyone.

This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft.