Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someones ass is going to be on the line here.

I just have this strange feeling that Deadspin went a little to far. Youd have thought SI would vet the story a little bit before publishing and actual confirm that the girl was real. When you are dealing with online/public persona's its not always ascertain the birth name.

Im sure that some people in this thread have been shocked to find out what their friends "real name" is. And if you didnt know it, you might not be able to find any of their records either.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)

I just have this strange feeling that Deadspin went a little to far. Youd have thought SI would vet the story a little bit before publishing and actual confirm that the girl was real. When you are dealing with online/public persona's its not always ascertain the birth name.

Im sure that some people in this thread have been shocked to find out what their friends "real name" is. And if you didnt know it, you might not be able to find any of their records either.

I use Lexis Nexis as part of my job, aliases show up just like regular names. I would find it pretty strange that she both attended Stanford and passed away due to these tragic circumstances and NOTHING is in LN, or the local papers. THen seeing what Tauisosopa was doing, thats seeming pretty shady.

And nobodies ass is on the line at deadspin. THis is what they do. Sometimes the dirt pans out, sometimes it doesnt. It wouldnt be the first time something blew up in their face

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)

Have you read beyond the first paragraph?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
Wow, that is really bizarre.

Why would he do something like that? So odd.

Why did a guy win a ton of awards and almost win a heisman even though he wasn't even the best player at his position? Looks like it worked as planned.

Either that or he got catfished. This wouldn't be the first time in 2013 he was exposed as a paper tiger.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)

Read the whole article. All the pictures were fake. Classic catfish.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
Te'o is a fraud & liar. He's another reason to hate ND.

I'm lost. Where does this come from?

I hate ND, but I had never heard anything bad about him in particular.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Even leaving the lack of records aside, there's the whole weird relationship with Tuiasosopo and the photos of the other girl being used. Bizarre.

The photos are easily explained.

I didnt want people to see what she looked like for her own safety. So we just picked a random girl that kind of looked like her. Her privacy was important.

Once again, we are dealing with internet reports on internet reports. The databases that they checked not conclusive, especially because we do not know what her exact name is.

If I worked for deadspin's legal department I would have told them to keep it more "opinion", just in case it turns out we are wrong. The last thing I want is to fight the wealth of ND and ABC/SI/ESPN, etc. Either way my website broke the story.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Read the whole article. All the pictures were fake. Classic catfish.

Read my posts. I specifically said that the pictures make me think its a hoax, but the other evidence is suspect at best.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
The pictures seem to be a smoking gun for a hoax though.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
Why did a guy win a ton of awards and almost win a heisman even though he wasn't even the best player at his position? Looks like it worked as planned.

Either that or he got catfished. This wouldn't be the first time in 2013 he was exposed as a paper tiger.

Who was the better ILB in college last year?

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
This will be fun, because one of the comments already said that she had a different real name. "Erm, that's because she was registered under her real name, Lennay Marie Wochinski. Lennay Marie Kekua was her professional name."

Follow-ups to that comment state it was a Seinfeld joke. I don't remember it, but Jerry used a fake name when he said he was working in Atlantic City to avoid going to Florida, apparently.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)

I didnt want people to see what she looked like for her own safety. So we just picked a random girl that kind of looked like her. Her privacy was important.

What?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)

Once again, we are dealing with internet reports on internet reports. The databases that they checked not conclusive, especially because we do not know what her exact name is.

If I worked for deadspin's legal department I would have told them to keep it more "opinion", just in case it turns out we are wrong. The last thing I want is to fight the wealth of ND and ABC/SI/ESPN, etc. Either way my website broke the story.

Her account existed long before Te'o.