2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Really? No one in the first round will be equal the talent of a guy who went in the 3rd round himself? Exaggerate much?

Seriously...if Wallace was the only WR on the market, I'd say yes and spend the money + pick on him. He's probably not even going to be the best WR on the market, and the others won't be restricted. If it costs an extra $1-2 million to bring in one of the other guys, the draft pick is worth way more than that.

What are the odds that (1) a difference maker falls to #19, (2) that said difference maker actually pans out (see also, Chicago Bears draft history, and (3) that even if they did pan out, you're not waiting 2-3 seasons for it to happen (i.e., cutting into prime Cutler/defense years). Yeah, you can say he was a 3rd round find, but that's a crapshoot and the bears haven't had much luck drafting random WR's throughout the draft.

You also have to think too that the Bears are getting two 1st round "picks" in Williams and Carimi coming back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Really? No one in the first round will be equal the talent of a guy who went in the 3rd round himself? Exaggerate much?

Seriously...if Wallace was the only WR on the market, I'd say yes and spend the money + pick on him. He's probably not even going to be the best WR on the market, and the others won't be restricted. If it costs an extra $1-2 million to bring in one of the other guys, the draft pick is worth way more than that.

So you wouldn't spend a first round pick on Tom Brady because he was a guy who only went in the 6th round himself?

Seriously, where the Bears pick, there won't be any instant difference makers left. And as for WR, only Blackmon - and possibly Jeffery - would be be WRs i'd want over Mike Wallace

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
What are the odds that (1) a difference maker falls to #19, (2) that said difference maker actually pans out (see also, Chicago Bears draft history, and (3) that even if they did pan out, you're not waiting 2-3 seasons for it to happen (i.e., cutting into prime Cutler/defense years). Yeah, you can say he was a 3rd round find, but that's a crapshoot and the bears haven't had much luck drafting random WR's throughout the draft.

You also have to think too that the Bears are getting two 1st round "picks" in Williams and Carimi coming back.

This makes a lot of sense, I just don't like that not only would he cost a 1st round pick, but you will also have to pay him big-big money, probably top 3 WRs salary in the whole league.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
So you wouldn't spend a first round pick on Tom Brady because he was a guy who only went in the 6th round himself?

Seriously, where the Bears pick, there won't be any instant difference makers left. And as for WR, only Blackmon - and possibly Jeffery - would be be WRs i'd want over Mike Wallace

They don't have to draft a WR in the first, and considering the state of the team, they really shouldn't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
I would imagine even with Angelo gone, that doesn't change.

I believe I read that they held onto the guy who took care of the cap for Angelo.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
They don't have to draft a WR in the first, and considering the state of the team, they really shouldn't.

I believe I read that they held onto the guy who took care of the cap for Angelo.

Are you on crack? WR is the #1 priority for this team. Look around the NFL, it's all about the pass game and putting up points. I really hope the Bears don't stick to this stupid defense- run the ball - control the clock crap. It's not going to win against the likes of GB, NO, NY, NE, etc.

Edit: and the Lions even.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Those teams GB, NY, NE, NO are for the most part using WR's that werent drafted in the 1st round.

After the combine there should be more clarity, but Id have no problem with the Bears taking a WR in rounds 2-4 instead of 1, it just depends on what is there.

Yeah, well they also have some hall of fame caliber QB's that can make a good WR better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Details?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-5738...n-gq-interview/

From what I have read of Twitter, because Brady Quinn is trending right now, people are just slamming and saying Quinn and sucks and Tebow is way better. Complete face palm.

I loved this line in particular....

"Early in the season, there was a game when Kyle [Orton] got hurt and the coaches were calling for me to go in, but Kyle got up and finished the game out. So I was the second-string guy. Then, a few weeks later, they decided to put Tim in. I felt like the fans had a lot to do with that. Just 'cause they were chanting his name. There was a big calling for him. No, I didn't have any billboards. That would have been nice."

So true. And Quinn is actually a super religious person too, he just doesn't whore it out to the media and preach to the world.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Yeah, well they also have some hall of fame caliber QB's that can make a good WR better.

Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson would be good if an average QB was throwing to them.

If you always think that you can never draft talented players and always have to fix holes by signing big name free agents you are never going to win in the NFL.

Its still early but when you look at the top 40 or so WR prospects, I just dont see a need to force it in the 1st. Depending on 40 times etc, I can easily see guys like McNutt, Toon and Broyles going at earliest in the 2nd. At 19 its unlikely the Bears are going to get Blackmon, I dont really want another small WR like Wright, so that would basically leave Floyd/Jeffery as possible 1st round targets.

Both of those guys fit the profile, its just not clear whether they are so much better than the other WR's I mentioned.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson would be good if an average QB was throwing to them.

If you always think that you can never draft talented players and always have to fix holes by signing big name free agents you are never going to win in the NFL.

I agree as a long term plan. But the Bears are absolutely in win now mode. They can build toward the future (defense) late in the draft. But the immediate problems (someone to throw the ball to) need to be addressed if you want to take advantage of an aging defense and QB in his prime.

And i'm not saying the Bears HAVE to give up a pick and get Wallace. Maybe they can get Vincent Jackson for a better deal. But they can't do what they've done the last few years - sign some guys, hope they pan out, and if not fall back to the s*** on the roster. That's not gonna work next year with both Green Bay and the Lions being more talented and deeper teams.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
I agree as a long term plan. But the Bears are absolutely in win now mode. They can build toward the future (defense) late in the draft. But the immediate problems (someone to throw the ball to) need to be addressed if you want to take advantage of an aging defense and QB in his prime.

And i'm not saying the Bears HAVE to give up a pick and get Wallace. Maybe they can get Vincent Jackson for a better deal. But they can't do what they've done the last few years - sign some guys, hope they pan out, and if not fall back to the s*** on the roster. That's not gonna work next year with both Green Bay and the Lions being more talented and deeper teams.

WR is a must for the Bears. You could probably sign a free agent and a draft a WR. Without giving up your first round pick.

The Bears can't afford to risk a first round pick on a wide receiver. There are plenty of free agents available, and the Bears are far enough under the cap that they should be able to snag a #1 target for Cutler. We need youth on defense badly, and we should be able to fill our primary need on offense through free agency. I can't see any reasonable scenario where it makes sense to go WR in round 1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)

Do you know who Mike Wallace is? And can you tell me what WR will be available who are better? And him being picked in the 3rd round and using that against him is ridiculously mind-boggling. Whoever used the Brady example; EXACTLY.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
If they couldnt land one of the top flight WR's via FA then I wouldnt be opposed to Wallace. Id rather offer the first for Marshall though.

Again, this is silly. Wallace IS one of the top flight WR. I'd much rather have him than Bowe, Jackson, Manningham, Colston, Wayne, etc.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
Again, this is silly. Wallace IS one of the top flight WR. I'd much rather have him than Bowe, Jackson, Manningham, Colston, Wayne, etc.

Really? How on Earth do you come to the conclusion that he's vastly better than Bowe, Jackson, or Colston? He's not obviously higher than any of them in terms of total receptions, total yards, or yards per reception.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Really? How on Earth do you come to the conclusion that he's vastly better than Bowe, Jackson, or Colston? He's not obviously higher than any of them in terms of total receptions, total yards, or yards per reception.

He never said that.

Although he is better than Colston, who is a product of playing with Brees, and I'd take him over Bowe/Jackson/Jackson since he's less like to whine, pout or take plays off

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
He never said that.

Although he is better than Colston, who is a product of playing with Brees, and I'd take him over Bowe/Jackson/Jackson since he's less like to whine, pout or take plays off

And I can't immediately respond that Roethlisberger is an excellent passing QB as well? Roethlisberger's QB rating over the last 3 years is ~ 96, compared to about 103 for Brees. Brees is clearly at another level, but over the last 3 years, Roethlisberger has been #5, #5, and #10 in the league in QB Rating.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)

What? Where did I say Wallace isnt a top flight WR? I said I preferred an UFA WR, not because I think theyre all better, even though a few of them certainly are, but because it wouldnt cost us a 1st round pick. I then said if we were going to try to use our first round pick to trade for a WR Id rather offer it for Marshall then Wallace, and thats because I would definitely prefer a 6'4" 230 frame to a 6'0 200 frame and because Marshall already has a proven successful track record with Cutler.

I do think Wallace is a good WR but he also isnt the type of WR they are really hurting for currently. Hes more of a stretch the field speed WR and hasnt had more then 71 catches in a season. The Bears have been desperate for a bigger body, possession, move the chains type WR for years and that should be a bigger priority. Now if we cant land any of those guys then Wallace is certainly an upgrade and I wouldnt complain if we got him, but to say that this type of logic is "silly" is beyond ridiculous and extremely dumb.