2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
There is no way I'd draft Jefferey now before Day 3. The guy might be talented but with character concerns like that...all the dude has to do is run to show where he's at and then he can improve by that much at his pro day...there is no way I'm using a top pick on him.

It's absolutely mind-boggling that he didn't run.

He's just going to wait until his pro day. He appears to be in good shape (15 pounds lighter than his playing weight) and has arguably the best hands in the draft. He is also just a hair under 6'4. I think some team might get really lucky with him. I know if he's there in the 2nd round, I'd love it if the Bears took him. I wouldn't take him at 19, however, if Floyd is gone (and the Bears don't get a wideout in FA), I'd move down and target Jeffrey/Hill, add another pick to add value later on. Unless Martin is there at tackle.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
He's just going to wait until his pro day. He appears to be in good shape (15 pounds lighter than his playing weight) and has arguably the best hands in the draft. He is also just a hair under 6'4. I think some team might get really lucky with him. I know if he's there in the 2nd round, I'd love it if the Bears took him. I wouldn't take him at 19, however, if Floyd is gone (and the Bears don't get a wideout in FA), I'd move down and target Jeffrey/Hill, add another pick to add value later on. Unless Martin is there at tackle.

I agree with this. alot depends on FA too. if the bears are able to nab a guy like Vjackson, then I think they can wait til later rounds to get a WR (even if floyd is on the board). Unfortunately, this is looking like a shallow draft for OTs - after the top 3 guys (kalil, reiff, martin), i'm not sure Adams is a guy you gamble on at 19. He's got character concerns, durability issues, only did 18 or 19 bench reps and people are worried about his strength ...sounds a bit like Chris Williams (outside of character concerns). If the bears are able to get a solid WR in FA, im honestly not so sure that they shouldn't go after someone on defense with the top pick, or like you mentioned, trade down a bit

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
I agree with this. alot depends on FA too. if the bears are able to nab a guy like Vjackson, then I think they can wait til later rounds to get a WR (even if floyd is on the board). Unfortunately, this is looking like a shallow draft for OTs - after the top 3 guys (kalil, reiff, martin), i'm not sure Adams is a guy you gamble on at 19. He's got character concerns, durability issues, only did 18 or 19 bench reps and people are worried about his strength ...sounds a bit like Chris Williams (outside of character concerns). If the bears are able to get a solid WR in FA, im honestly not so sure that they shouldn't go after someone on defense with the top pick, or like you mentioned, trade down a bit

Bears are supposedly very high on the Illinois DE. In fact, there are some reports that Bears insiders indicate if a wideout isn't there that they like @ 19, the Bears will draft him. I guess there hope is he's the next JPP. He's been a one year wonder but had a very strong combine and is clearly the type of athlete you'd love to have at end. Put him on the opposite side of Peppers and with guys like Melton/Paea (who are pretty good athletes at the tackle spot) and the Bears dline would be pretty athletic.

The NFL graded the Illinois DE as a 3rd round pick but most experts have him going late 1st to the 2nd. I have zero problem targetting dlineman early in the draft. Given how good offenses are getting, having a strong Dline is key to stopping opposing offenses.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Andrew Luck is sicknasty as is RG3. Those are two uber talented dudes.

There are unnamed scouts who are heavily scrutinizing them, which I find hilarious because it's simply people sending out mixed signals now to get teams to think that these guys aren't good, which is absolutely absurd.

(blurbs are from rotoworld)

Luck:

One NFL scout compares Stanford QB Andrew Luck to Matt Ryan as a "really good game manager" who's been overhyped by the media.

"He is a Matt Ryan-type player," said the scout. "He can't carry the team on his shoulders, but he's a really good manager. His arm isn't even close to Aaron Rodgers' and he doesn't have Aaron's feet. He's smart, competitive, tough. His teammates love him. The media has put so much pressure on this kid. It's unbelievable. They've basically anointed him Jesus Christ.

RGIII:

One NFL scout insists that Baylor QB Robert Griffin III "cannot play quarterback" in the pros and is a poorer-throwing version of Michael Vick.

Another scout quoted in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article linked below is very high on Griffin, so take this with a grain of salt. "He cannot play quarterback," said the scout who's down on RG3. "He's just running around winging it. He has no idea how to play quarterback. He's got no vision. He's got no accuracy. No touch. Anything you look for in an NFL quarterback, he doesn't have it. You want him to run around and throw the ball and just keep running, he can do that. He's (Michael) Vick, but not as good a thrower."

I've seen both guys play quite a bit, Luck more so. When I look at him, I don't think of him as a game manager. He looks like an incredibly gifted QB who will light up the stat book for years.

they are both extremely talented, but some of the criticism is fair in my mind. The biggest question with griffin is the fact that you simply haven't seen him in a pro offense. Can he make all the throws? In college, it was obvious he could throw the deep ball with the best of them, but what is his accuracy like in the intermediate game from the pocket? Its the same questions that faced Tebow and Newton coming out of college...Newton wasn't ever really asked to do it in college, but now its obvious he was more than capable of it. Tebow, not so much. Griffin hasnt really been asked to do it, but can he? The fact that he didn't throw at the combine won't really answer those questions, but teams will draft him on the upside regardless

IMO luck is much more of a guarantee to be a very solid NFL QB. He reminds me alot of Philip Rivers - big, athletic, quick release, not the greatest arm in the world but super accurate and able to throw from the pocket in an NFL style offense. Is he going to make the throws Peyton, Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler can make? Probably not. But neither can alot of very, very good QBs. I think the criticism lies in the fact that since last year the media hype around him has been immense and people were saying he was the best QB prospect since peyton (which is probably not true), and hes got so much pressure to fill Mannings shoes.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
they are both extremely talented, but some of the criticism is fair in my mind. The biggest question with griffin is the fact that you simply haven't seen him in a pro offense. Can he make all the throws? In college, it was obvious he could throw the deep ball with the best of them, but what is his accuracy like in the intermediate game from the pocket? Its the same questions that faced Tebow and Newton coming out of college...Newton wasn't ever really asked to do it in college, but now its obvious he was more than capable of it. Tebow, not so much. Griffin hasnt really been asked to do it, but can he? The fact that he didn't throw at the combine won't really answer those questions, but teams will draft him on the upside regardless

IMO luck is much more of a guarantee to be a very solid NFL QB. He reminds me alot of Philip Rivers - big, athletic, quick release, not the greatest arm in the world but super accurate and able to throw from the pocket in an NFL style offense. Is he going to make the throws Peyton, Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler can make? Probably not. But neither can alot of very, very good QBs. I think the criticism lies in the fact that since last year the media hype around him has been immense and people were saying he was the best QB prospect since peyton (which is probably not true), and hes got so much pressure to fill Mannings shoes.

I still wholeheartidly believe Luck is the best qb prospect since Manning.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
nfl.com has knox at 4.34

Hester ran a 4.41 at the combine, but a 4.27 at his pro day - I don't know that they have the splits from the first 10 yards, but id be shocked if hesters wasn't truly elite

Daniel Manning has been the fastest Bear the last few years, always faster than Hester. Hester's ability hasn't been about his speed, it's been about his acceleration and ability to cut and hit any hole.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
If that happens, I may refuse to pay my season ticket invoice this year, cause it would mean absolutely nothing has changed with the new GM.

I'd absolutely love it if they brought him in, but as a 4th or 5th receiver only. If that's their only WR addition, it still helps, but it's a massive fail.

I was reading earlier today about how Ward, when told he was no longer one of their top options in the passing game, tool to Sanders and Wallace and Brown and really taught them how to become better WR.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
If that happens, I may refuse to pay my season ticket invoice this year, cause it would mean absolutely nothing has changed with the new GM.

I doubt they bring him in, but I do think it's going to be hard to find good WR help in this years free agent market. Teams don't want to give up some these big talent guys. Like Bowe and Jackson.

Bears may have to trade for a WR.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
I'd absolutely love it if they brought him in, but as a 4th or 5th receiver only. If that's their only WR addition, it still helps, but it's a massive fail.

I was reading earlier today about how Ward, when told he was no longer one of their top options in the passing game, tool to Sanders and Wallace and Brown and really taught them how to become better WR.

I'm not the only one who thinks this: http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...&feedID=626

Bears could also look to land TE Carlson? http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,7538091.story