2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
I would look to draft my #1 before I would sign my #1 from FA. I cant imagine the Bears have a solid plan yet, there is a lot of free agency contingencies

I'm not really so sure about that. Blackmon is the only sure-thing (to me) in this draft, and the Bears have no shot at him. I like Floyd a LOT, and I think he'll be a stud, but he won't be there at 19 either and there are off-the-field issues. Stephen Hill's measurables were insane, but he's far from a sure thing in the 1st round. Jefferey looks to have fallen into the 2nd until we see what he can do at his Pro Day. I'm not sold on Wright either.

I think it's much more important for the Bears to get a sure-fire #1 WR in free agency. It's still early in free agency to see what other holes the Bears might be able to fill, but I'm a huge fan of Mike Wallace. He's young, he's a huge playmaker, and I think Cutler would benefit immensely from having him. He also opens things up for Bennett and for the TE.

Best case scenario: you can sign Jackson/Colston to be your #1, and pick best available in the 1st round, whether it's a OL/DL/DB, and then you can get the best WR available in the 2nd round.

If that's not possible, I wouldn't mind Wallace even with having to give up the 1st rounder. You have two 3rd round picks too, and it's inevitable someone they like can fall.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Falcons have applied the franchise tag to free agent CB Brent Grimes.

Sounds like Cortland Finnegan and Cliff Avril are next.

Maybe not.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

Titans will not place their franchise tag on cornerback Cortland Finnegan, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
Bears right now have:

Bennett (legit, can be a good #2)

Knox (busted back, may not even play in 2012, but a #3 or #4 at best on a good WR corps)

Hester (sucks)

Sanzenbacher (perhaps has potential, but for now sucks)

So they need to find a legit #1, someone who can get about 1200-1400 yards. Bennett should be good for about 900, maybe 1000 in a full season. The other guy they sign (whose spot Ward would be taking) needs to be able to get at least about 600 with the remaining yards scattered between whoever else... I don't see Ward capable of that at this stage in his career. They need better than a 4th WR, they already have guys like that

This.

I think the Bears need to bring in 3 wideouts. At least one needs to be a good veteran (Hines would not be that). Another needs to be via draft pick. The next could be a draft pick or another veteran, depending on what they do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
I think the Bears need to bring in 3 wideouts. At least one needs to be a good veteran (Hines would not be that). Another needs to be via draft pick. The next could be a draft pick or another veteran, depending on what they do.

I don't think we'll see nearly as big an overhaul as people are hoping or expecting. That's not the Bears MO, and it never has been. If they sign 1 WR and draft another, that'd be a pretty big step (depending on who, of course). I'd be shocked to see them bring in 3 new WR. The only way that happens is if they don't think Knox will be able to play next year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

I think they need to make a big signing, Colston/Jackson or at the very least a guy like Meachem. They also need to spend a 1st or 2nd on a WR and if they do both that I wouldn't mind having a guy like Ward too being our Donald Driver.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
I don't think we'll see nearly as big an overhaul as people are hoping or expecting. That's not the Bears MO, and it never has been. If they sign 1 WR and draft another, that'd be a pretty big step (depending on who, of course). I'd be shocked to see them bring in 3 new WR. The only way that happens is if they don't think Knox will be able to play next year.

And that is a problem. They have zero talent outside of an oft-injured Bennet at the wideout spot. I fully expect Roy to be resigned, giving them a #4. Knox doesn't even factor into the equation at this point (given I have zero confidence he can even play). Sanzy is physically limited and not very good (and even than he was one of the Beras better wideouts early in the year). I have excluded Hester which is probably a negative but it would assume he gets banged up as well and has his own injury issues (not significant ones), but definitely has had them when playing wideout.

This corps is a joke and I've been saying it for years.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)

Depending on what they do, I won't be surprised if the Bears take 2 wideouts in there first 4 picks. This is a deep wideout draft and the Bears have very limited talent at the position. Easily the worse corps in the league.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
And that is a problem. They have zero talent outside of an oft-injured Bennet at the wideout spot. I fully expect Roy to be resigned, giving them a #4. Knox doesn't even factor into the equation at this point (given I have zero confidence he can even play). Sanzy is physically limited and not very good (and even than he was one of the Beras better wideouts early in the year). I have excluded Hester which is probably a negative but it would assume he gets banged up as well and has his own injury issues (not significant ones), but definitely has had them when playing wideout.

This corps is a joke and I've been saying it for years.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the group of WR we currently have is laughable, but it's simply not what the Bears have done. The Cutler and Peppers additions were steps in the right direction, but they failed in regards to complimentary moves and are total outliers. I don't think there's any doubt they bring in a WR, whether it's a legit #1 or not is yet to be determined.

Outside of Peppers, look at what our biggest FA additions have been in recent years: Marion Barber, Roy Williams, Chris Spencer, Tim Jennings, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Anthony Adams, Frank Omiyale, Chester Taylor, Brandon Manumaleuna.

Now, obviously these were all under Jerry Angelo and we've yet to see what Emery has up his sleeve, but the Bears have built through the draft.

I like Wallace, but I think he is a wrong fit for the Bears. Cutler needs a big body to throw to, I see Wallace as a clone of Bennett(albeit, faster), Cutler needs a jackson/colston type, someone like Marshall who will give him the height to throw a sideline pass to.

Colston worries me, both for his injury problems and the fact that he has one of the most accurate and insane passers in the NFL throwing to him. I would prefer VJax.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
I like Wallace, but I think he is a wrong fit for the Bears. Cutler needs a big body to throw to, I see Wallace as a clone of Bennett(albeit, faster), Cutler needs a jackson/colston type, someone like Marshall who will give him the height to throw a sideline pass to.

Colston worries me, both for his injury problems and the fact that he has one of the most accurate and insane passers in the NFL throwing to him. I would prefer VJax.

Me too, but I highly doubt the Bolts let him leave.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Me too, but I highly doubt the Bolts let him leave.

Everything I've read pretty much proclaims him a goner, unless things have changed since the end of the season and I didn't see it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
That sounds about right, because it would be just the right amount of disappointing.

There's just so many teams looking for WR help and most of the teams who these FA belong to want to keep them too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
Everything I've read pretty much proclaims him a goner, unless things have changed since the end of the season and I didn't see it.

I can't find it now, but I just read a whole piece in the last day or two that said he was guaranteed to stay. I saw this on Rotoworld as well:

One AFC executive told Yahoo Sports that he's convinced the Chargers will place the franchise tag on free agent Vincent Jackson.Despite the $13.7 million franchise number for Jackson, there is a belief around the NFL that the Chargers are unwilling to set him free. "I know there are seven or eight teams lined up for Jackson, but I think [GM A.J. Smith] is going to tag him," said the AFC exec. "That would be a total A.J. move, plus I think he’s going to have a hard time with the fan base if they let [Jackson] go."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
I can't find it now, but I just read a whole piece in the last day or two that said he was guaranteed to stay. I saw this on Rotoworld as well:

That's very surprising to me. If Bowe, Jackson, and Welker all get tagged, with DeSean Jackson already getting tagged, that really puts the Bears in a tough position.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
inside the Bears organization

This is someone you know personally, then, I assume?

That's terrible if true. But I haven't read anything linking them so who knows.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
The Bears could also use a TE that can catch.

I posted an article about them potentially going after Carlson next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Charles or Allen in the early rounds of the draft.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program.

Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline.

NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches.

Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

NFL investigation of Saints began in 2010 when allegations were made that Saints targeted QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner.