Parenting Thread

JPN366

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
As someone who may be deciding to have kids soon, I feel like a thread like this will make me regret that decision. Especially with the internet, it feels like the complaing about the kids is way more prevalent than the enjoyment of having kids.

That about sums it up. I love my son more than anything and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me. It is a rewarding experience, it's just not easy and it is the hardest thing you'll ever do.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
As someone who may be deciding to have kids soon, I feel like a thread like this will make me regret that decision. Especially with the internet, it feels like the complaing about the kids is way more prevalent than the enjoyment of having kids.

It is easier to complain.

My wife and I are 4 months away from our first (a boy). Spent 4 hours at Buy Buy Baby (Bed, Bath and Beyond for babies/kids) registering for stuff yesterday. Except for laughing at the hilarious clothes (e.g., a blue onesie with a tie imprinted on the front), it was pretty f'n brutal. $500 bucks for a crib, $180 for the mattress, and another $120 for a whole set of sheets/bumper things? Are you s***ting me?

Needless to say, i'm about to be way, way, way overwhelmed. Luckily my wife seems more and more ready every day.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
My wife and I are 4 months away from our first (a boy). Spent 4 hours at Buy Buy Baby (Bed, Bath and Beyond for babies/kids) registering for stuff yesterday. Except for laughing at the hilarious clothes (e.g., a blue onesie with a tie imprinted on the front), it was pretty f'n brutal. $500 bucks for a crib, $180 for the mattress, and another $120 for a whole set of sheets/bumper things? Are you s***ting me?

Needless to say, i'm about to be way, way, way overwhelmed. Luckily my wife seems more and more ready every day.

Did you guys have your shower already? If not, you shouldn't be buying that stuff yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Did you guys have your shower already? If not, you shouldn't be buying that stuff yet.

My parents-in-law bought the crib (thankfully). We registered for everything else for the shower. I was just in awe with the amount of stuff there is. I have four nieces and nephews, so I understood going in that babies have a lot of crap. But the amount of random stuff was a little mind blowing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
My parents-in-law bought the crib (thankfully). We registered for everything else for the shower. I was just in awe with the amount of stuff there is. I have four nieces and nephews, so I understood going in that babies have a lot of crap. But the amount of random stuff was a little mind blowing.

100% truth. And it only gets more expensive.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

Wait til you get to the Wall of Nipples...and I don't mean that in a "I'm just doing this to put myself through school"/make it rain kinda way. That was the most horrifying thing ever after our first was born.

On a different note...why do they call it the Terrible Two's when they really aren't terrible until they are three?

My wife and I are about 15 months away from our first kid (that's the plan anyway, both of us finishing college first), and even though none of this is going to change my mind I have to say all these costs sounds crazy. And really scary!

QUOTE (The Only Swede @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
My wife and I are about 15 months away from our first kid (that's the plan anyway, both of us finishing college first), and even though none of this is going to change my mind I have to say all these costs sounds crazy. And really scary!

Just wait until you start looking into daycare.

Having three kids, I can say that being a parent is both the most rewarding thing and one of the hardest things you'll experience. All three of my kids went through the "terrible twos", although that's misleading as someone already pointed out. It's more of an 18 month period when they're between 2 and 4. But, now that mine are long past that time, I look back and realize it wasn't that bad. My oldest is 10, and I know it's going to get harder when she reaches the teen years.

Having two girls, I don't even want to think about when the dating starts. Everyone laughs when they hear stories of fathers "interviewing" their daughter's boyfriends with a shotgun in hand. But now that those years are approaching, I can see that being a reality (kidding, sort of...I don't own a shotgun).

One truism when it comes to kids: Time flies. It may not seem that way when you're getting 2 hours of sleep when they are newborns, but before you know it they're 10 years old.

My daughter turns 21 next month. If some guy breaks her heart I will kill him. I am a Texan with a shotgun.

Every age is wonderful, every stage better than the one before.

My son has had one major f*** up, and a really terrible year in college. Other than that, just a great kid. My daughter's only fault is she is too conservative in her politics. I like her social conservative side, the political side is troubling. But I taught them to think for themselves, and I don't mind living with the results.

Start saving so you can get them what they need. Budget so you could give them what they want, and develop the backbone to say know to some of the things that they want. One thing my kids figured out, at a checkout don't start grabbing candy and crap, grab a book and it gets bought.

They visited colleges when they were two. They grew up with the expectation that college stops with a PhD. I am certain my son will achieve his. My daughter is about ready to start working.

Yeah teething sucks. There are emotion and physical bumps and bruises growing up and those really do hurt parents more than the kids.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

Buy lots of diapers and wipes. You can never have enough wipes.